Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I ran across a P99 QA .40 with an AC date code that had a unique mark I've not seen before.  On the underside of the front frame rail, there was a printed barcode, similar to what is seen on some of the Sig pistols.  Amongst the barcoding was the actual serial number of the pistol.

Has anyone seen similarly marked P99s before ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up putting this on lay-away but have to wait for my other CA DROS's to clear out before I can start the process on this one.

It is essentially NIB and is fitted with Trijicon night sights.  It has all the goodies and the fired case in the bag but was being sold as used since it was apparently a demo gun from S&W.  The store also had a 9mm P99AS in the same shape but without the barcode.  This one did have a red plastic tag on the trigger guard that said "NRA Show", so I guess these were indeed demo guns.  

Perhaps the barcode on my QA 40 was for some ID purpose for the show.  The factory box has a S&W label which has the gun info, model and serial #s, and then actually says "Used" on it.  This pistol has nary a mark on it and seems 100% NIB, yet was sold as a used gun from it's apparent use at the NRA show.  I will post a pic of the barcode once I jump through CA's stupid waiting period(S).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally cleared out some of my 1 per 30 day DROS's here in CA so I was able to pick up this P99QA in .40.  One of the guys at the shop now says these were police returns that had not been fired (despite the NRA Show tag on the other).  Who knows what they are, just that they are NIB but marked Used on the label.  Seeing as Walther USA/S&W don't seem to know much when I call them, I doubt they could tell me either.  Here's some pics.

I found that the barcode on the frame does match the barcode on the label under the Waffen-Nr: 481XXX.  The barcode on the pistol is flipped 180° relative to the one on the label.  There is also a "02" stamped into the frame under this barcode, and then a U stamped into the left side of the trigger guard where it meets the frame.  Nothing else seems different and the pistol came with the normal bag containing the fired cartridge case and sticker.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Wow that is interesting....
the "02" I would assume is in refference to the date code...since "AC" is '02
as to the "U" on the triggerguard.... no clue

Thanks for sharing this,,, it's interesting stuff

·
Registered
525 Posts
Traditionally S&W stamps some used pistols with a U. I've heard it suggested that the pistols that have a U stamped on them are either used guns from s&w armorer school and have a life time warranty or just refurb pistols bought back from leo contracts getting new guns. Buy backs from leo's make the most sense as the barcode seems like it may have a contract requirement.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's a Smith and Wesson import, that's why!!!
They have been bar coding their guns for years!!
I have an old SW40F that has bar code in the same place!!!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
My P99's do not have a bar code and I have 3 of them, all imported by S&W

1 - 11 of 11 Posts