Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my barrel yesterday (it was mailed out on the 10th of this month).

I immediately took it down to the safe and got out my P99s.

I tried the barrel in the black .40 that was manufactured in 1998--it would not fit at all regardless of what I did.  I compared it to the original and the barrel ahs no outside chamfer and so I could not get the anglei needed to drop it in.

I took out the military model (SW slide--2000 or 2001 manufacture.  I managed to get it in place by exerting pressure, but when the spring was mounted, the slide would not close.  Whe I tried to press the lateral length of the spring toward the barrel so it would clear, it jammed and I had to tap it gently with a rubber mallet to free it.  Whe I got it free, the barrel did not want to drop out without again exerting pressure.

I called customer service and he indicated that I likely did not get a drop-in barrel as the invoice stated--it may be a target barrel that requires fitting and is not finished.

I sent it back today and they indicated they would fit it to the P99 owned by one of the gentlemen there and would return it to me.  He indicated they would likely pay for shipping.

I'm disappointed, but the service was so positive and friendly I think this will get resolved.  Stay tuned for newsflashes...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jarvis is a complete drop in, Barsto is a semi drop in. Barsto will almost always need some fitting. You will get the best possible barrel lock up with this way.

Depends on what your desire and skills for fitting are.

Bill

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, my invoice indicates "drop-in barrel". And remember, it would not fit without forcing in two, not one, slides.

I am not talking about a barrel that needed some adjustment--it did not even fit into the slide.

Semi-drop in would imply to me that some adjustments would be needed to lock-up properly. I'm a pretty decent home gunsmith and handy-man and have replaced parts, put in trigger stops, modified parts to fit a pistol when there were no alternatives and done complete trigger smoothing--this was no "semi drop-in.

This barrel would have required actual machining, not just some work with a dremmel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well. Got it today with apologies from Bar-Sto.

It dropped right into my Military (one with no datestamp, S&W manufactured slide. It woould not go into the '98 pistol; not enough clearance on the angle to get it in.

That is OK, since I really only want to use it in one pistol.

I got a couple of 10 round 9mm factory mags and have a 15 rounder on the way. Hope to get to the range this week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts