Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a P99 .40 and .357 conversion barrel for a while now. Found one on gunbroker $900 buy-it-now, starting bid $850. This seems kinda steep to me, but I don't know how hard it is to find the bar-sto's now adays. I think this is one of the first 30 made because it is serial numbered to match the gun. Any thoughts???

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I think this is one of the first 30 made because it is serial numbered to match the gun. Any thoughts???
I don't remember the specifics but a few years ago (2002 or 2003) there was a group buy where Bar-Sto did add serial numbers to the barrel in order to match the respective pistols. I remember having the option to get one of these barrels and passing because I had no interest in bouncing between two barrels and two different calibers. Parts wear into each other and when you swap barrels it can create an uneven wear pattern over time. That is not to say that the pistol will not work or have a dramatically shortened service life, but continual barrel swapping will add wear and tear.

That said, I think the price in the gunbroker auction is a little steep (probably about $125 too much). I looked up the pistol. It looks like the owner is Dr. Lunde and I believe he was in on that group buy. He posts on a lot of the boards. I'm not sure but I think he's active on the Sig and HK forums. -Every so often the .357 conversion barrels are listed here and the auction sites separately. If you really want one, you might want to contact Bar-Sto. I believe they do not currently produce them but they might be able to accommodate your request.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, I was thinking about $700 for the combo would be reasonable, so I guess I wasn't too far off base....Sorry mdnitedrftr, I was a little unclear that it was for the gun/barrel combo....lol

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Dr. Lunde is active on this Forum as "Lunde".....he is also the "owner" of the P99 FAQ webpage....
all I can say is that nobody wants to loose money and that you guys forget the Earl's night sights on the gun....

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
all I can say is that nobody wants to loose money and that you guys forget the Earl's night sights on the gun....
Generally speaking, you don't get full price when you sell a gun. I don't think the gun by itself (with standard sights) is worth more than $525. Typically, night sights lose half of their value so you're at a $50 - $60 add-on for them. In this case, the night sights are probably between 4 to 6 years old. That means a substantial chunk of their lifespan has already been spent so it would make sense to lose value there. The used conversion barrel is a $150 item in my opinion. I think they were $200 - $250 when they were new. It's numbered to his gun in a caliber with limited appeal so while it is possible to sell it separately for $200, it is one of those things where you would have to wait for the right buyer. That's how I got to my estimate of $725 - $750.

The things that Lunde has in his favor are that some people (including myself) prefer the lines of the original model, some people (not me) want the conversion barrel, and some people really like the green/black color scheme. Since he has little competition, he can charge what he wants and see if there are any takers. He has a nice example of a P99 with a rare extra (the conversion barrel). When I said I thought his price was a little steep I did not mean that he cannot find someone who will buy it. -There are people who will spend the premium to get what they want when they want it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wholeheartedly agree that noone wants to lose money, which is why I began this thread----to gain knowledge about a purchase I knew little about. I sense that I may have ruffled a few feathers with my question, so I apologize to anyone who is offended. I don't think Dr. Lunde's asking price is unfair.....I just tend to search for deals on the lower spectrum of fair.....got my P99 1st gen 9mm for $450.....lol

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree that noone wants to lose money, which is why I began this thread----to gain knowledge about a purchase I knew little about. I sense that I may have ruffled a few feathers with my question, so I apologize to anyone who is offended. I don't think Dr. Lunde's asking price is unfair.....I just tend to search for deals on the lower spectrum of fair.....got my P99 1st gen 9mm for $450.....lol
onebighole, you have a private email. ;)

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts