Walther Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a few hours so I decided today was the day to baptize the P-99.
Mine is a "Military" model with the AS trigger group.

Brought out (2) of the 12 round magazines (I have 5 total).

First magazine I loaded 3 rounds of PMC 155 grain ammo. Recoil was light as usual for this round. at 7 yds, the first three rounds went into one clover leaf exactly on the "X" at point of aim.
. This sort of surprised me as I usually need a few rounds to adjust myself to the sights.

I then loaded the magazine to capacity and comenced to properly break the gun in.
no failures of any kind and accuracy was well more than expected especially since I thought the wide rear notch might compromise my ability to line up the sights properly.

Next I loaded the second magazine and had trouble getting the last round in, the magazine seemed to want to accept only 11 rounds. I stopped fighting with the magazine and fired 11 rounds without any issues.

next I loaded one magazine with 5 rounds of Speer Gold dots 165 grain and fired all 5. Recoil was of course stiffer as this is a warmer defensive load. Function was perfect without any issues and accuracy was still surprising.

Now I decided to test reliability a bit more by mixing the magazines with a combination of PMC and Speer Gold Dots in no particular order. The firearm handled this without any problems. Accuracy was perfect, feeding, extraction and ejection were all fine.

I did notice that with the PMC load sometimes the empty brass was not extracted and ejected with real authority, it seemed to just clear the ejection port and land only a few inches away. Other times it ejected with much more vigor and was sent several feet away. Out of 235 rounds only one round was ejected back towards me.

When I received the gun I swapped the mid size back strap for the small one as I have small hands. I see no need to experiment with different front sights. All but one round was fired using only the single action mode. One time I did chamber a round and then insert a full magazine on a loaded chamber and it was a bit difficult to get the magazine fully home and insure it was locked into place.

I also have a dedicated weapon light on order for this handgun so it can do double duty as a night stand gun.

I had no issues with my trigger finger getting "pinched" as one other person has reported on other forums.

The gun was not cleaned before firing but was lubed using Break Free.

I am very pleased with the firearm and have already contacted my Seargant in order to set up a qualification date so this handgun can become my duty gun.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also cleaned it tonight.
I almost forgot how easy a modern handgun is to clean.
I'm so used to my 1911's. 2 hrs to clean a 1911 10 minutes for a wally

I like this thing

·
Registered
13 Posts
its nuts how easy it is to clean. I also have a p22 w/ the 5 inch barrel. taking the p22 apart is a chore in itself. The p99 strips w/ no problem at all. Love my p99!

·
Registered
158 Posts
madecov,

Good to hear from another happy walthermaniac.

What are the details on your pistol? Caliber (must be a .40), year or datestamp, import markings etc? Good to include that stuff when you post a report. People who read these often want to make comparisons with their own pistols or are researching them for purchase.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2003 AS model
Military green frame/Black slide

S&W import markings

.40 caliber

·
Registered
539 Posts
About the cleaning thing. I read an article the other day about the Springfield XD where they were sooo impressed with how easy it was to clean that gun. They casually mention that you need to PULL THE TRIGGER to field strip it. Needless to say I think the P99 has a much better field strip procedure
Sure, someone will come around and say it's not the gun that's unsafe, it's the idiot that doesn't make sure his/her weapon is empty before cleaning but still. There are too many idiots out there, better try to give them a hand by making their guns idiot resistant

·
Registered
158 Posts
Amen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts