Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, you know what they say, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Got burned by Legendary Guns in Phoenix. Here's the GunBroker ad:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976957580/Guns/Pistols/Walther-Pistols/Post-WWII/PP-Series/Walther_PPS_Compact_9mm.htm

"Used As New". Called the guy. Gun in Ad was not actual gun being sold - he didn't have time to take pictures of every gun. ;)

Assured me customer had bought, didn't like, returned it and they bought it back and offered it up. So I figured, I've dealt with them before, and had no issues, so I bought it.

Received it today from my dealer.
- Case looked like it had been taken and rubbed in a sand box, scratches all on top. Okay, I'll live with that.
- Took the gun out of the box, all pieces there, test target good, looked pretty much brand new, I would rate at 98%, shot, but not much.
- Removed the mag and tried to rack the slide - no go. Wouldn't budge. Damn I thought, what the heck.
- Proceeded to field strip, removed backstrap, removed slide. Looked at frame, don't see anything wrong, reassembled.
- Slide racked fine, racked it a few times, dry fired it, hmm, that's wierd, everything seems to work fine. Signed the 4473 and headed home
- Get home, disassembled to give a it quick clean and wipe down. Upon reassembly, the stupid backstrap won't stay in. Snap it in, it unsnaps. It won't stay in. Here's a pic, the little clip won't stay engaged in the catch.

- Tried the large backstrap - it won't stay in place either.
- Guess I know now why the guy returned it. And Legendary Guns didn't check it. :mad:
- Checked my NIB PPS FE, backstrap is fine and stays in place.

Well, I guess I'll call Walther USA on Monday and see if they will fix it. :mad:

Anyone else seen this issue? I've not seen anyone complain about it.

James

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
That truly sucks
I hope you give the guys some "nice" feedback :p

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Neat schematic. Where did it come from?

I recognize the Glock-like stuff, but never having seen a PPS apart, I can't relate to the extra parts. What does the arrow signify?

M

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Not familiar with the PPS either but since it is being promoted as a safe gun once the backstrap is removed I would say by the looks of things the arrow is showing the disconnect that renders the pistol inert once the backstrap is removed.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Okay, thanks. Now I see it.

Am I the only one who thinks that is an awful lot of complication and potential for trouble just to achieve the dubious benefit of being able to dismount the slide without pulling the trigger? I can't imagine using such a feature as a house safety.

M

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I called SWalther today and the guy was cordial, but didn't immediately offer to send me a label. He thinks it's just the backstrap and offered to send two new ones to me - but they don't have any in stock and he wanted me to call back in a couple of weeks. Good thing I'm not depending on this thing huh? :mad:

I told him I would try the backstraps from my other NIB PPS FE and see if they would stay in place. And call him back tomorrow for a return tag :)

Let you know what happens.

James

·
Registered
41 Posts
Okay, thanks. Now I see it.

Am I the only one who thinks that is an awful lot of complication and potential for trouble just to achieve the dubious benefit of being able to dismount the slide without pulling the trigger? I can't imagine using such a feature as a house safety.
M
Except that the real reason for the disconnect is to get import points from ATF. Without the removable backstrap... no PPS un the US.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Except that the real reason for the disconnect is to get import points from ATF. Without the removable backstrap... no PPS un the US.
In what category of the factoring criteria are points given for a removable backstrap?

M

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
In what category of the factoring criteria are points given for a removable backstrap?
Technically no category. But I would say that it qualifies as to falling somewhere between the points given for a ?grip safety? and a ?magazine disconnect.?

Characteristic Points

Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1
Forged steel frame 15
Forged HTS alloy frame 20
Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1
.22 short and .25 auto 0
.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3
9mm parabellum and over 10
Locked breech mechanism 5
Loaded chamber indicator 5
Grip safety 3
Magazine safety 5
Firing pin block or lock 10
External hammer 2
Double action 10
Drift adjustable target sight 5
Click adjustable target sight 10
Target grips 5
Target trigger 2

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, what do you know, I took the backstrap off my NIB PPS and tried it on the one that had the problem and yes, it does stay on. Comparing the two indicates that the previous owner apparently didn't follow the directions and broke the ledge where the backstrap mates with the frame and catches.

So, I will call Walther and request two new backstraps since they both appear to be broken. But that begs a new question: this seems to be a fatal design flaw in that the little clip ledge can be easily broken and render the gun inoperable. :mad:

Some "spares" might be in order ;)

James

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Technically no category. But I would say that it qualifies as to falling somewhere between the points given for a ?grip safety? and a ?magazine disconnect.?
/QUOTE]

C'mon, Jake, get serious. It an't either one. If they needed 5 extra points, they could simply have mounted a click-adjustable rear sight.

M

·
Registered
26 Posts
i've never carried a concealed weapon before, so i may be in over my head here, but it seems to me the backstrap safety is a good idea. i like the idea of while in public being able to quickly render your gun very safe OR prevent your own gun from being used against you. but, perhaps i dont know what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since Walther USA has no backstrap parts and cannot even give me an ETA, I'm sending the PPS back to Legendary Guns.

Earl says he has no parts and doesn't even have PPS's yet.

Earl offered to try and get the part for me if I had a part number, but since there are no schematics with P/Ns available, that wasn't possible.

He was real nice and even told me if he had a PPS, he'd have taken off the backstrap and sent it to me and worried about getting a replacement later :) Good guy.

Guess I'll make sure I buy new or don't buy a PPS without inspecting it closely now. :)

All's well that end's well.

James

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
C'mon, Jake, get serious. It an't either one. If they needed 5 extra points, they could simply have mounted a click-adjustable rear sight.
I am serious. Do you really think they wanted to put a click/drift adjustable target sight on a gun designed for CCW? I think not.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I am serious. Do you really think they wanted to put a click/drift adjustable target sight on a gun designed for CCW? I think not.
Okay, all kidding aside, I don't think Walther got ANY points for that feature. I cannot imagine that BATF would regard as a "manual safety" any part that has to be dismantled from the gun to render it incapable of firing. If that were so, ANY critical part (such as the firing pin) could qualify. The PPS already has a safety (of sorts) on the trigger and a passive firing pin block, so no further credit is possible in those categories. Nor does the removable backstrap have anything to do with the magazine--so it's not that, either (though 5 points are available there if one were incorporated).

I haven't bothered to gather the technical data and run the numbers to see how the PPS manages the necessary 75 points, and frankly couldn't care less. It is not a gun that interests me; I already own one Glock. However, I submit that when a gun needs points for importation, it will be festooned with any feature --appropriate to its image or not-- necesssary to qualify. Traditionally, the cheap, easy (and reversible) way employed by importers is a click-adjustable rear sight.

Better a rear sight that can be switched out than a fragile derriere that falls off.

M

·
Registered
23 Posts
i've never carried a concealed weapon before, so i may be in over my head here, but it seems to me the backstrap safety is a good idea. i like the idea of while in public being able to quickly render your gun very safe OR prevent your own gun from being used against you. but, perhaps i dont know what i'm talking about.
The backstrap will be relatively useless as feature for the average CCW holder. The only time I can think of it being a useful feature is if I had to give up my sidearm and wanted it disabled in the process, unfortunately I can't come up with a scenario where I would do that.

If it was a tactical situation and I was worried that there was a BG nearby that would use my pistol against me I would be more likely to want my gun functioning very well, not disabled. My goal woul be to never let the BG get their hands on my sidearm.

·
Registered
256 Posts
PPS Area of the Forum ?

HTML:
MGMike,

Just curious reading your post:

"...frankly couldn't care less. It is not a gun that interests me..."

Just respectfully wondering why you waste your time reading and posting on the PPS section ?

I generally read forum areas that are of interest to me, just trying to expand my horizons so to speak and understand why someone would waste time reading and posting on a forum area for a gun they have no interest in ?

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I read that it is treated as a grip safety for point purposes. I'll have to look for the reference.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts