Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the second time I took my P99 to the range. I could never get any good groups at 15 yards, it was all over the place. Then it started to shoot extremely to the left. Then I had an ejected casing fall down between my eye and my glasses. I have a pretty good burn. I field striped the gun and noted that the extractor was pretty gunked with powder. This would explain the casing extracting toward the rear but not the bad accuracy. The barrel did not appear fouled.

I shot two boxes of Sellier & Bellot, then 2 boxes of Winchester white box. It was shortly after shooting the white box rounds that everything went down hill.

·
Registered
525 Posts
No offense but are you an experienced and skilled shooter? Were you shooting supported? Have you had a skilled shooter try the gun for you? You certainly could have a bum gun, but often it seems like user error is to blame. If you really do believe you're not at fault and the gun is having issues give S&W a call and they'll take care of you.

Also a little tip if you are a new shooter, bring a ball cap with you to the range. It'll save you those unsightly forehead burns :D

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I went to the range today, shot the better part of four boxes of white box federal through my P99, had not cleaned it since the last outing where I shot about 100 rounds of the same ammo.

Pistol worked perfect. Once the slide closed on an empty chamber, but I think that was me hitting the slide release. You should have seen that flinch!

I tend to shoot a bit left, but one click back on the rear sight seemed to solve that. Shooting left though is really my poor trigger control. When I concentrate on what I am doing the bullets fly pretty straight. I had trouble reining in my shots, but they were still inside the 7 ring of a standard 25 yard target at 15 yards. I am no expert shot either.

Diehart, your problem of shooting all over and to the left is you!!! You need to back off and concentrate on your technique. Your P99 with any decent ammo will shoot center tens all day long at 15 yards.

Break it down and clean it!!! Take an old toothbrush to the range and if it's looking "gummed" field strip the piece and do a quick "dry brush" of the affected area.

Lots of dry fire practice with plastic dummy rounds is indicated!

·
Registered
536 Posts
You've got a couple choices, depending on how far to the left you're going.

You can adjust the rear sight - i shot left on my Glock (consistently), and no amount of trigger discipline seemed to help. I dont believe the gun was out of spec, but finally i just moved the sight and called it a day.

My P99 is dead accurate - if i'm off, it's off. If i'm on, it's dead center were i point it. It's all about trigger control. Make sure you dont jerk the trigger, and make sure that you pull straight back with the pad of your finger - NOT the joint.

If you have difficulty naturally getting your finger in the right position, try changing backstraps.

thorn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am an experienced shooter, I've not had these problems with my other pistols including the 1911A1, Buckmark and Neos I had at the range that day. Additionally, I'm retired military with much experience and have been shooting for 25 years. Anyway, I shot the P99 supported and as stated before, it was all over and then far to the left and low. Typically I see this when a weapon is very fouled. I've cleaned it thoughly and will bring it back to the range soon. If the problems persist, I will contact S&W.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost forget, I do usually wear a ballcap however it was 100 degrees that day, too hot for me with a hat :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Do a very close inspection of the weapon. As most of us who own 2+ of these weapons, they are generally spot on. Either you have a issue with sites, or something is just messed up with the weapon. Although not impossible, its pretty unlikely. However it has happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soybomb and thorn, you were right!!!

The problem was the nut behind the grip. I have been so use to heavier guns thoughout my life, the P99 is my first polymer weapon. Over the last week I studied and practiced a number of different ways to hold and shoot as to provide better control. I also made sure the extractor was clean, I is hard to see visually if it is dirty. I went back to the range this morning and what a difference. Thank you, I am now another Happy Walther Owner. :D

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
No offense but are you an experienced and skilled shooter? Were you shooting supported? Have you had a skilled shooter try the gun for you? You certainly could have a bum gun, but often it seems like user error is to blame. If you really do believe you're not at fault and the gun is having issues give S&W a call and they'll take care of you.

Also a little tip if you are a new shooter, bring a ball cap with you to the range. It'll save you those unsightly forehead burns :D
Button that top button on your shirt too!:)

I find it hard to believe that it is shooter error with a P99 though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
another "bad" experiencie

I was a match shooter for almost 20 years and when I bought my P-99 I coud not believe how bad I was.
I even avoided to shoot in front of others, so big were my groups.
ME! the guy other people used to hand me their guns to see if they "shoot straight"!
It took me almost a dozen of range session and a lot of practive with the damn trigger in my QA to get it as it is now.
Now it not only shoot to the PoA but groups are much smaller. But as someone said before, every time I lose my focus in trigger time, I shoot a flyer.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
It could easily be shooter error. In my previous post I was thinking about it being difficurt to limp-wrist the P99.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Don't feel bad, I am a 45 year old experienced shooter and a few years ago I decided to buy my first Sig, a p228 and I could not hit anything and I swore it was the pistol. so I sold it and bought a p225 and it made a world of difference, I just couldn't adjust to the new grip size.

With the P99 I first loved the large back strap, then decided the small one was better because of trigger reach. Then ended up with the medium and have used it ever since. Sound a little like Goldilocks and the three bears, doesn't it?

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts