Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the market for an EDC pistol, and I'm very interested in the Walther PPS. I've read reviews (both negative and positive) and I've even put a few rounds through my friend's PPS. This brings me to my only issue with the pistol, the back strap. I personally don't like the fact that if anything happened to it, the pistol would be disabled. I currently own a PPQ and thought it would be great if Walther would of used the same method to remove and replace back straps. I'm still on the fence about it and would like input from long time PPS users. Thanks in advance. (First thread and post :))

·
Registered
23 Posts
Although I think it's highly unlikely to become dislodged, if it did that would be catastrophic in an emergency Just to prevent the back strap becoming dislodged and rendering the pistol inoperable I put Hogue rubber grip covers on both my Wife's and my PPSs. We disassemble the pistol by first clearing the pistol, than pulling the trigger (just like a Glock) and removing the slide.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Just leave it alone. Should never be an issue. I also wish that it wasn't as it is but if one just leaves it alone you should certainly be good to go.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Although I think it's highly unlikely to become dislodged, if it did that would be catastrophic in an emergency Just to prevent the back strap becoming dislodged and rendering the pistol inoperable I put Hogue rubber grip covers on both my Wife's and my PPSs. We disassemble the pistol by first clearing the pistol, than pulling the trigger (just like a Glock) and removing the slide.

I too have a Hogue grip on mine to help prevent the blackstrap from coming off. Probably overkill, but it gives me peace of mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I might go with walkbyfaith's idea of using the Talon grips. This will also save me the trouble of having to stipple the pistol.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I personally don't like the fact that if anything happened to it, the pistol would be disabled.
You know they come with 2, right? Different sizes for different hands. I use a Limbsaver 12012 and never remove the backstrap, no need to. Even if you do it's no big deal, just snap on and snap off. No more difficult than changing razor blades.

·
Registered
421 Posts
PPS back strap=non-issue. A lot of people have fretted over it but the reality is that it is not a problem. If it is installed correctly, it is not going to come off.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I recall a thread where someone had put a roll pin thru the back strap to make sure nothing happens.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Only trouble that I had was the first time it was removed, lol took me awhile to line it back up, now it is fine . Other than too change the back strap I see no reason to take it off. I'm not concerned that it is going to break.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I will be doing that modification to mine now that the warranty has expired. I have an old photo link to the guy that made that post. It's a face book album and its public. Can someone chime in and let me know if I can post his link to his photos. If its allowed, I will share it.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Not sure why you'd want to run a roll pin through the pistol. The backstrap is a non-issue to begin with ... and a sleeve of one sort or another, from a icycle tube to one of the made-for brands, seems to allay the fears of most folks who think that something could go haywire.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Just curious, but if the backstrap is not an issue, which it isn't, why would Walther want to "listen" to advice to add a feature and then negate it with a roll pin? To what, exactly, would the engineers listen to?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.