Walther Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a couple of weeks I will be taking a two-day combative pistol course where about 1000 to 1200 rounds will be fired from my p99C AS over the course of the weekend. I already have about 2,500 rounds through the gun and have not had even a hint of any problems. I love this gun.

But I was wondering if I should have any extra pieces (slide spring?) ordered and on hand should I have a problem- we were asked to bring a back up gun same as our primary if possible, and my only other handgun is an XD Tactical.

Also I will be firing Winchester White Box because it is the cheapest reasonable ammo I can find. Obviously after the first day I will throuroughly clean the gun for the 2nd day, but I was wondering if anyone had any extra tips for a gun that you know will be shooting this much in such a short time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
There's nothing that comes to mind. I'm curious to find out if you do have any issues. I've heated mine up hundreds of rounds in rapid fire, till the slide was to hot to rack, and not had any issues with the gun. I primarily run CCI/ Blazer cause it's about 3/4 the price of WWB and alot cleaner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info- sounds like you tested yours pretty good- I will report back after the class with how mine did.

As far as cci blazer- the cheapest I can find is a box of 50 for about 8 bucks. WWB is 100 rounds for 10.89 at walmart, so quite a bit cheaper for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is an amazing price!!! Unfortunately they don't sell online yet and the closest to me is 3 hours away in Nashville. I wonder how they do it, though? I see the same ammo sold for 2x's that or more at other places.

Thanks for the info- next time my brother comes in town from Tulsa I will have him hauling a case or two of this!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I bought a case when Rita was comming this way... took me a while to go through it. I usually keep about 200 rounds on hand of that stuff, plus about 75 of 126+P JHP.

·
Registered
75 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (toeball @ Nov. 04 2005,17:20)]I bought a case when Rita was comming this way... took me a while to go through it. I usually keep about 200 rounds on hand of that stuff, plus about 75 of 126+P JHP.
Where you at toeball?

I'm in South Louisiana, and ever since Rita hit, we haven't been able to buy pistol ammo at Wal-Mart. Have to buy it at a range, the gun shops or the cop supply store. Which sucks cause they're more expensive.

This is quite un-American if you ask me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm in Houston. Bught my Wally from CDNN, which means I had to pay sales tax. There's no FFL's in busness down there?

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (noj @ Nov. 05 2005,01:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (toeball @ Nov. 04 2005,17:20)]I bought a case when Rita was comming this way... took me a while to go through it. I usually keep about 200 rounds on hand of that stuff, plus about 75 of 126+P JHP.
Where you at toeball?

I'm in South Louisiana, and ever since Rita hit, we haven't been able to buy pistol ammo at Wal-Mart. Have to buy it at a range, the gun shops or the cop supply store. Which sucks cause they're more expensive.

This is quite un-American if you ask me.
Kewl. I am in Collge Station, but I grew up in South Louisiana - in Houma to be specific.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took a 2 day "combative" pistol course this weekend and it was really good, but really tough. Shot 900 rounds from my P99C 9mm, and the gun did great- EXCEPT (and this really bothers me) for the second time in the 5 months I've had the weapon I have edjected a mag to the ground and the base plate broke and fired the spring way down range where I could not retrieve it. These Mags are $45 bucks a pop.

There were 10 students in all, three were NRA qual instructors, four were cops, and 2 were excellent civilians- and then there was me. I held my own but Im not terribly experienced and everyone else had full size glocks or full size 1911's (its funny how everone over 50 has a 1911 and everyone under has a glock!) Since I am most interested in building my ccw skills I thought Id bring my little p99c, but the instructor basically said that was stupid, especially after I told him I had an XD Tactical at home, because I have pretty big hands and all the malfunction, reloading drills were timed and I would have done better with a larger gun. Still, I am a LOT better with my CCW than I was 3 days ago.

I just wish these expensive mags would quit breaking on me!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I disagree with your instructor. It would have been stupid if what you were after was a competative win or to learn how to combat shoot your handgun. But since you wanted to learn and practice your ccw skill you brought the right gun for the job. Sucks about your base plate. I'm personally not a big fan of tactical reloading. If your gun runs out, take cover and then reload. If it's safe enough to reload in the open, it's safe enough to stop shooting. Still nothing wrong with learning and knowing the skill, unless you keep breaking mags. I've done the drop and load bit with my fullsize mags and so far have had no issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I saw base plates for sale, specifically finger rest bases for 6 or 8 bucks. I am trying to find the site. I think it was from Walther. CDNN investments also currently has 10 rnd p99c mags on sale for $20.

Matches

·
Registered
29 Posts
I saw base plates for sale, specifically finger rest bases for 6 or 8 bucks. I am trying to find the site. I think it was from Walther. CDNN investments also currently has 10 rnd p99c mags on sale for $20.

Matches

·
Registered
29 Posts

Matches

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do you CCW with your XD Tactical...your answer determines if you should have brought it or not.

Congratulations on taking your class! Any more pointers?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Call Walther America. They know the story. They should send new floorplates at no charge. Not so sure about the spring, but it's worth a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts