Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sending my S&W / Walther PPK 380 back to Walther one more time for repair. I’ve owned this pistol for a couple of years now, and this is the third time sending it in. It may turn out to be the last. I last had it repaired in April of last year, and since then it had been flawless. Probably shot it over 1,500 times and not one issue. Until 2/24 when after shooting 50+ rounds, it “broke”. Hammer was back (as in SA mode), but pulling the trigger would do nothing. Put it in DA mode by engaging the safety and setting it back to fire mode. Pull trigger and hammer would go back part way but not enough to cock the hammer or do squat.

Contacted Walther support, sent them a video of what was going on and they sent me a return label, and tomorrow FedEx comes and gets it. Not sure I can trust this gun for what I bought it for, and it’s getting bothersome sending it back.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
That may be a largish round count for a PP series, not that it shouldn't be able to handle it.
Moon

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Any idea how many rounds you put through it during those 1500 range trips, because I can imagine putting quite a lot of lead downrange after 1500 trips, and therefore it breaking down may be more forgivable.
Unless you meant that by shooting it 1500 times that you fired 1500 rounds through it, in which case that does sound like a rather small amount for the pistol to break down.

Oh well, if it gives you anymore trouble after this, then you could always exchange it for one of the newer models and see if they're any better.

My S&W PPK/S has yet to give me any trouble after 2 years of EDC and range trips throughout the Summers, but then again, the amount of ammo I've put through it since then is still most likely in the hundreds rather than thousands due to the combined cost of ammo and the fact that it's just plain uncomfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it was 1500 rounds as in bullits. 1500 range trips would take a really long time.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Yeah, that's way too little to cause problems. It actually says in the owners manual that came with my PPK/S that it should be able to withstand up to 15,000 rounds before requiring any service/replacement of parts, so if you've only shot 10% of that and are expecting issues, then something is very wrong.
You may want to consider requesting a replacement, as there may actually be something wrong with the firearm itself.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Oh well, if it gives you anymore trouble after this, then you could always exchange it for one of the newer models and see if they're any better.
Or one of the older ones which are better.

Most of the .380s I run across don't see anywhere near 1500 rounds but it still shouldn't break.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Let us know what they say the cause is. I'm guessing a cracked or warped hammer pin based on the description that you gave

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The paper work indicates they replaced the trigger spring. The turn around time was great. Now to go see if it goes bang!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a mid 90's IA SS PPK/S with about 4,000 rds thru it. I bought it gently used about 7 years ago. The first major issue was the safety dropping while firing. Mike at MM in Alabama fixed that. Then somewhere the chamber loading indicator spring broke. Another trip to MM as the safety spring/detent was very effective (as I requested) to have the spring and indicator pin removed. Then a couple of ejectors broke as did the trigger spring & ejector spring. The hammer block spring will go weak about every 1,800 rounds. During my last range session the trigger bar broke.

At this forum we love the design of these things but... I've concluded that we must understand that we are dealing with a 1929 design never intended for extensive range time. That said the originals had machined parts, not investment cast or MIM as the modern renditions have. We can comprehend parts wearing out, but are really aggravated when parts break.

My plan going forward is to replace the following parts every 1,500 rounds.

ejector
ejector spring
trigger spring
hammer block spring
trigger bar
recoil spring

Just an extensive preventative maintenance program.

Roboslug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts