Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I bought my Walther PPS used (didn't know if I would like it or not) I finally today found out what is wrong. The large back strap didn't work. It wouldn't seat into the weapon correctly. The other back strap worked just fine however.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
pictures please.... or let us know what is going on with your backstraps :eek:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to contact Walther tomorrow. The problem isn't something that can easily be photographed. I tried to figure out just what is going on, but other then it wont seat into the back of the weapon I can't think of anything. I will however take lots of photos for you guys.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The genius who came up with the idea of making a removable flimsy plastic backstrap perform double duty as a "safety" device should be marched into the factory courtyard at dawn and executed.

M

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with MGMike about shooting the engineer -- the backstrap seems pretty dodgey at best. InfernoMDM -- I had trouble getting my large backstrap to click into place as well, but if you keep trying you might have success. First, make sure the little index dots are aligned, and then you need to firmly push up and inward at the same time. It isn't an easy push... mine takes some effort to get it all the way up and into the correct position. All this assumes, or course, that the backstrap hasn't already been damaged :(

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The apparent ease with which the backstrap can be misfitted and/or damaged --thereby disabling the gun-- is inexcusably bad design. What was wrong with the simple P99 arrangement???

M

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Extremist - I purchased from the same guys. I think we have a run of idiots not reading the book. However the weapoin with the thing grip(which I think I prefer) runs just fine, and I have now hit the 500 shot count!

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Lawyers? ;)

thorn
Possibly. It's happened before, but not --as far as I can recall-- with Walther.
The compulsion to incorporate some kind of "child lock" on guns has not taken complete hold in the industry yet, and probably won't until Glock and H&K, from whom Walther takes many cues, succumb to the epidemic.

On the other hand, the P22 was so fitted, so who knows? Don't be surprised if the P99 is "updated" with a similar useless appendage.

In any event, the P99 backstrap is everything it needs to be: simple, secure, adjustable and foolproof.

M

·
Registered
254 Posts
The genius who came up with the idea of making a removable flimsy plastic backstrap perform double duty as a "safety" device should be marched into the factory courtyard at dawn and executed.

M
Do they still do that kind of thing over there? :rolleyes: :D

Yeah, hell, if they're going to tout it as soime kind of "safety device", sure. Whatever. But reinforce the damn thing with metal (remember that stuff?) if we're stuck with this "safety device".

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Strap comparison working one is on the left.

Holding the inop one flush.

Inop back strap seated but not able to be forced up.

Slim working backstrap.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Correction on the last two photos. The txt should be swapped. The slim working back strap is the third picture, the bad one is the forth picture.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i'm definitely going to wait until the problem is fixed by walther.

maybe this is the reason why the delay for black introduction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts