Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered once, but I couldn't find the thread. My p99 9mm has begun autochambering when I slam a full mag home. I'm not using unusual force to insert the mag, and it seems to be independent of how hard I hit it anyway. I am right handed and rotate the gun 90 degrees clockwise from the firing position when I reload. Did we arrive at a solution to this previously? I recall that a spring was the possible culprit, if so, which one would it be? I appreciate your input...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mine has done it since day one.
Now, 30k rounds later, it still does it.
I've never had a single malfunction in all those rounds.
I personally like the added speed it gives my reloads.
FWIW, my brand new H&K P2000 does the exact same thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That has happened to mine a number of times as well. It kind of scares me when I shove a mag in there and it slides shut ready to fire with a single action trigger... Someone previously on this forum sent theirs to S&W and they "fixed" it, although I don't know what that entailed. Please, do let us know what the fix was, if anyone knows.

·
Registered
411 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (cordodor @ April 01 2004,1:53)]That has happened to mine a number of times as well. It kind of scares me when I shove a mag in there and it slides shut ready to fire with a single action trigger...
No offense, but if your pistol "scares" you because its loaded and in single action. then you really need some professional training.
One should never be scared by their pistol.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's not supposed to close on a reload.  If you aren't anticipating the slide closing, it could slip out of your hand when the slide slams forward.  If someone tried to catch it instead of letting it fall...that could be pretty ugly.

I'm trying to think of the mechanics of the reload to figure out what's tripping the slide stop, but the only thing I can come up with is the inertia of the slide stop lever allowing it to drop out of the slot in the slide when the pistol is slapped from underneath.  Have you tried slapping the butt of the pistol without a mag to see if the slide still goes forward?

·
Registered
263 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No offense, but if your pistol "scares" you because its loaded and in single action. then you really need some professional training.
Its not the pistol he is scared of. It is the pistol doing something unexpected that he is concerned about.

I, and anybody, would and should be concerned if their weapon does something automatically that they did not intend it to do.

With correct firearms safety there are no accidents, and that is the case with this situation. But that does not make it any less of a concern. What if your P99 cocked itself every once in a while? That would sure bother me...

2 choices here that I see;
1) Get it fixed so it does not do this
2) If you are confident that it is not a safety issue, work around it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, it happened to me. It bothered me and I spent some time figuring out how the gun should or should not behave. The answer is: it should not happen! I sent my p99 .40 to S&W and they fixed it. Frankly, I don't know what was the thing they adjusted. It never happened after the repairs.

Personally, I wasn't excited at all by my gun making its own decisions. I already have two adorable brats (and my beloved one
) coming out with original decisions ten times a day.

Val

·
Registered
44 Posts
I sent mine back for this very same behavior. The service performed was "adjust slide stop to gage", which seemed to correct the problem. I have since bought a couple hi-cap mags, and found that it 'combat reloads' with one particular mag, the others operate as expected.

I made the mistake of sending it back over the holidays, so I was without my precious P99 for 3 weeks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had this happen with my HK,Glock and P99. While going through firearms at the le academy all the Glocks and P99s did it too. According to the instructor it will happen when you insert the magazine with too much pressure at the rear of the mag plate. He was right. Maybe you guys can give it a try and see what you think.

gunner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts