Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
PPQ newbie – 405 rounds through my new (Feb 2016) PPQ M2, 9mm, 4bbl. Bought two 17-round mags and have had an interesting observation when inserting the mags with the slide locked back.
The slide stays locked back when I insert a 15-round mag, and then I use the slide release lever (which I love). However, when inserting the 17-round mag, the slide automatically unlocks and chambers a round.This happens every time I use the 17-round mags.I think it is the VP9 that has an “Auto Forward” feature which works as described, above, but it is certainly unintentional in the PPQ.
I was also able to get the 15-round mag to do it if I inserted it while pushing up unevenly on the butt plate. Didn’t work 100% of the time as with the 17-round mags.
I assume it has to do with the tightness of the cartridges in the 17-round mag. They are in there really tight.There is just a tiny bit of play with the 15-round mags.
Has anyone else experienced this? I would like a gunsmith to make a modification so that it happens with all mags.I really like that “auto forward” feature.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Autoforward happens on some pistols, some would say that it can happen on all semiautomatics. As far as I know, it's not a design feature of any semiauto pistol, although some tend to be more prone to it than others. Certainly it's not designed into the VP9. I wouldn't necessarily call it a defect. Some would even call it a "feature".

I asked that question of Larry Vickers once, complaining that my M&P9 autoforwarded about 60 % of the time. He just shrugged and said "one less step, then".

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
One can get many weapons to "auto" forward by forcefully slapping the mag in....however this isn't something to be encouraged. It is not a reliable way to chamber a round.

You could lose time in a competition if you slap a mag in expecting it to chamber a round and it doesn't. In the real world you might lose your life.

Reactions: Pudge

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It is not a reliable way to chamber a round.
I agree.

This can be done on most, if not all pistols that have a slide lock. Just slamming the bottom of the magwell hard enough with the muzzle pointed in the upward direction, with or without a mag, will get most pistols to release the slide from slide lock.

But to repeat what was said by others, some pistols are more prone to this occurrence than others, and it is not a reliable function of the pistol.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Mauser HSc is one.
I can testify to that :) you also can't sling shot it like you can with the Sig P230/232 which is why it does that I believe. I haven't noticed my PPQ chamber a round with 15 round mags, unfortunately I don't own 17 round mags.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
My PPQ will auto forward when the mag is inserted forcefully the majority of the time; say maybe 75%???

My M&P will auto forward probably 99% of the time. M&P's are known to behave this way. My wife's acts the same way.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
The 17's are MecGar sourced, same as the 15. Indeed, the mag housing is the same between the two, just the baseplate and retention method are different.

Mine will "auto release" if I jam the mag in with a good amount of force.

I'm more concerned with ejector breakage than feeling any need for an auto forward. I can attain that with the standard and accepted method I've learned.

Grip the gun's slide in the off hand (left, for me) and while squeezing the slide between fingertips and heel of the hand, push it out with the right, racking the slide in the process. This also enable a smooth flow of putting the left hand on the grip afterward such as in a shooting situation. Once learned and practiced it makes presenting the firearm a little smoother. Since I routinely keep the PPQ with a full mag and an empty chamber in the house at night, this is an especially needful method for me. Plus this way is the only method my wife can rack the slide on the PPS. To each their own...I prefer this to the so-called
slingshot style. :)

Neither way is wrong, it's just how I learned so I stuck with it rather than change. More fingers/surface area to grab onto, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for your feedback.

FYI... The 17 round mags are MecGar, as Thunderbirdsport302 said. I got mine via Midway USA for $35.99 each.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts