Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It'd be sweet if we could get a full 5 man team here in austin with all of us shooting the PPQ's and kickin butt! lolol

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good luck with that...I bet with 5 guys you could get some cool Walther swag...maybe even a low level sponsorship!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Always. Thats where I mainly go to shoot. I usually head out there at least twice a month but ALL day usually plinking and whatnot with the gf, but since I want to get into IDPA and be competitive I'll be going more to practice instead of just plinking it. My gf will join IDPA in a couple few months after she graduates college.

Sent you a priv. message btw krevo81

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice!

I was going to join IDPA but there's nothing going on in LA so.. rather spend my $40 on more ammo.. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would ,but I doubt you would want me on your team:eek:. I'm decent with a pistol but have a long ways to go. I focused on rifles for too long and only got in to pistols about 3 years ago and don't get the range time that I'd like.

You guys go to Lone Star in Lyton Springs or is this another one you're talking about?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thats ok...ive only been into pistols for about 3 months or less and I'm not bad but still have FAAAR to go myself.

The lone star we go to is in Lockhart, TX. Says you're in Dripping Springs...you're close enough and I only go to the range about twice a month as ammo/funds allow.

I'd welcome anyone that has more experience than me for sure. I just watch alot of youtube videos and read ALOT.

Just bought my rig and got it and my mags in the mail today...soooo excited!! :)

Check it out!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same Lone Star. I just thought that is was so close to Lyton Springs that that would be the stated location. Lockhart seems a ways away from there. Anyways, thats the preferred place to shoot for me, even though its a 45 min drive for me. I usually take a few guns and alot of water and make a half day out of it. Red's is just the place I pop in to get a short session sight in , or test a new gun.

I'm not all the way to Drippin, I'm actually right behind Nutty Brown Cafe'. I was born and raised in Austin and only moved out here recently .

Is that a Bladetech or Fobus rig for a SW99? I was checking these out yesterday if so. Course I'd love a sweet Del Fatti setup for carry but ceeesh limits. I might go that direction with my P7. Cool setup.

Just installed my Meprolite sights last night....time to take em for a spin.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Updated the link but just in case here she is! :)

Its a Comp-Tac Deluxe Pro Comp Kit: includes holster/kydex reinforced leather 1.5" belt/kydex mag holster
2 Factory PPQ Mags
1 Factory P99 Mag
3 MR Mags

I absolutely love the holsters...both have adjustable retention on them so they don't fall out when you turn them upside down(IDPA rules). It was a little stiff on the pistol holster so i loosened it and a little too loose on the mag holsters so tightened them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'll have to see if we can get all of us together some time and go practice.

I know Sunday the 21st is a local IDPA match at Texas Tactical i want to go see how its done.

Also Sunday the 21st I gonna try to squeeze myself into a basic firearm course since I've never taken one and just to feel a lil more comfortable doing IDPA.

After that, I plan on taking an Advanced Pistol class somewhere to get more training. I feel like I'm a loooong ways to joining/doing a IDPA match. I still have much to learn.

I tried practicing drawing a weapon this morning and RWR and man...never thought i was that badly outta shape. I was sweating and shoulders were a lil tired...lololol

I need to set up a work out regiment along with training/dry firing time, badly. I guess its time to get me some new hiking shoes and make time to workout/train...lol...god this is gonna hurt/kill me...hahahaha!

I havent had to work out in over 6yrs and before that had been almost 10+yrs when i was in the military...lolol.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If you don't mind me poking my head into this thread, I'd make a couple of suggestions, based on getting involved with competitive shooting myself.

I'm not out to shill for anyone, but I'll post a couple of links for books that are well worth the cost, if you are looking for basic skills, and dry fire routines to help improve competitive shooting. They help with the basic and fundamentals for competitive shooting, to some more advanced concepts like breaking down a stage. Ultimately, IDPA is a game and once you get comfortable with it, you'll look to start shaving seconds off your time. There are a lot of people who write books, but what I like about Ben Stoeger's most recent book, is that is not just presenting his method, he puts some different approaches out there.

Start with:

Practical Pistol: Fundamental Techniques and Competition Skills: Ben Stoeger: 9781482009972: Amazon.com: Books

Then:

Champion Shooting: A Proven Process for Success at Any Level (Volume 1): Ben Stoeger, Jay Hirshberg: 9781480271630: Amazon.com: Books

And for some online reference:

Welcome to the Frontpage

I shoot both IDPA and IPSC, but I far and away prefer IPSC/USPSA. IPSC stages feature up to 32 rounds per stage compared to IDPA 18, IPSC with my PPQ, I compete Production against Glock's, XDM's, M&P's, in IDPA the Q is ESP, and does not compete with the SSP Glock, M&P, and so on. (XDM is ESP.) I know some folks get in to the "Real vs Game" debate between IDPA and IPSC, and while I have not recently been attacked by wild dogs on the way home from the grocery store while carrying a loaf of bread while in a phone booth, (An IDPA stage I recently shot) I understand it's a matter of preference.

Here's is the finder for USPSA/IPSC clubs (It would reset when I entered TX and posted the link)

http://www.uspsa.org/locate-uspsa-clubs.php

Cheers and good luck guys! Nice to see more Walther's in competition! Get on the bandwagon for 5" models!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate everything your wrote there and may look at those at a later date. As I'm on a budget for EVERYTHING at the moment I kinda gotta look at priorities and my way of learning which is watching and doing unfortunately so it's harder for me to learn by reading. Usually what i do is look stuff up online, read about it to get the basic concept then I youtube it for the visual understanding.

Gear:
Hearing Protection- Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff Shooting Ear Protection
Eye Protection- Unknown???

Basic Firearm training
Basic/Advanced Firearm Training Class
Grip
Draw
Sight Aquisition
Sight Picture
Follow Through

Physical Training:
Core Exercise Training(walking, push-ups, sit ups, stretches, etc.)
Hiking
Jogging

Money-wise:
Starter Ammo- 125gr .40
Reloading Press- Dillon XL650+supplies+accessories
Books on Reloading/Firearms/Shooting

Hmmm...the books look pretty inexpensive and might start there. Only down side is i suck at reading, just cant comprehend what I read. I'm very visualistic hence why I'm always on youtube and forums, but I may definitely check those books out.

As for the 5" models...they don't make my gun or aftermarket parts rather for my gun much less in a 5" model...lolol

I have the PPQ M1 .40 cal, but I looove it! :)

As for IPSC or USPSA, I just wanna get my foot in the door and get started and then when I'm comfortable I'll get into the others. It was recommended by a local gunsmith(McBrides) to start IDPA since it's the easiest and cheapest to get into. His wife is a 6x' champ and comp shooter and he used to be or maybe still is a judge for comps. So I took his word for it. :)

Thanks for the advice and I'm sure I'll get it and use it for sure.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It was recommended by a local gunsmith(McBrides) to start IDPA since it's the easiest and cheapest to get into. His wife is a 6x' champ and comp shooter and he used to be or maybe still is a judge for comps. So I took his word for it. :)
Not to naysay the advice you got, but I think it's going to depend a lot more on WHERE you start shooting competitions and with WHOM than which game you try first. I've never shot IDPA, but I found it very easy to start off in USPSA/IPSC because the participants at my local matches were friendly, welcoming, and willing to show me the ropes.

Honestly, I think it might even be easier to start in USPSA from a penalties and scoring standpoint because there are fewer rules "gotchas" in terms of required order of target engagement, reloads when the gun isn't at slidelock, etc. In USPSA you can shoot the targets in whatever order you see fit and reload whenever and however YOU think it's appropriate, rather than having to shoot them in a specified order and being required to retain partially full mags, etc.

In the end, though, whichever way you choose, the main thing is to learn, have fun, and be safe. Winning/being successful at it will come with time and practice. (I'm not remotely there yet, but I have fun and I think I'm gradually improving - I just wish I had more time and money in order to get into a serious practice regimen.)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Usually what i do is look stuff up online, read about it to get the basic concept then I youtube it for the visual understanding.
If you've been searching around on youtube than you may have already found them, but if not, then Powerfactorshow, is a great resource for getting into shooting sports like IDPA and USPSA. Rick and Steve are extremely knowledgable and fun to watch. Start at the beginning and you'll learn everything you need to know about the two sports.

Personally, I stopped watching the recent episodes as they've gone on to topics like 3 gun, and I think the host Larry is a tool, but the first 120 episodes with Rick and Steve are a great resource for anyone interested in the sport.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, is this Iron Mike's IDPA out in Lockhart now? Edited, Yes I see it's Texas Tactical (Iron Mike)

What's the attendance like in Lockhart.
I've shot both in Henly and later in Cedar Creek organized by Mike.
I might be interested, shooting the PPQ, if the attendance is down slightly, but I'm in N SATX.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts