Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This section needs some action.

I will start by asking how you like your P5 and why did you buy it? Who also has the P88? ...the P99?

I wanted a precision pistol. the P5 seems to fill the bill.

Thanks,
General Sherman

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't have a P5.....yet. But I do have a full size P88 and a few P99's.

The P88 is the most accurate 9mm I've ever owned. Awesome gun.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a P99 DA/SA.

I don't have much knowledge of the P5 and I've never seen one in person. What kind of pistol is it and what calibers is it available in?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the compac in 9MM.
I do not believe it is made in other calibers but I do not know much about it.

I am missing an instruction book.
If anyone can email me a copy of scanned pages or adobe pdf, especially of disassembly instructions, I would appreciate it.
Private mail me on this board for my e-mail address.
-thanks.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The P5 is an updated version of a P.38. It has a full length slide, rather than the half-slide that the P.38 has. There's also other improvements over the P.38, however the operating mechanism is basically the same.

The P5 was made in calibers 9 x 19mm, .30 luger, and 9 x 21mm. There were also some instances of training P5's that shot a plastic bullet. There was also a few .22lr conversion units made by another vendor under the Walther license.

The P5C was made in calibers 9 x 19mm and 9 x 21mm.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have a P5, a P5 Compact and multiple P99s. I had a P88. Sold the P88 because I couldn't shoot it worth a darn. Got all of my money back. I cannot shoot either of the P5s as well as ANY of my P99s. Perhaps the trigger on the P5 contributes to the difficulty in shooting accurately.

I plan on keeping the P5s as they are more interesting pistols. Perhaps with practice, I could shoot them better, but, as they say, so many pistols, so much ammo, but so little time

James

·
Registered
88 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (extremist @ Dec. 08 2003,5:54)] I cannot shoot either of the P5s as well as ANY of my P99s.  Perhaps the trigger on the P5 contributes to the difficulty in shooting accurately.  
Muchlike James,  I have a hard time with accuracy as much as I like the design, fit & finish of the P5.
I attribute it to the trigger mechanism as well - simply because I could put it down, pick up my P7 and regain my confidence in my shooting skills.
My buddy also has a P5 & P5c and he is as accurate with both as I am with my P7 - So go figure ! 

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a P5, P5C and P88C.

The P5s shoot great. Although, I am a little dissapointed that a gun that ejects to the left does not have leftie controls

The P88 shoots great too but seems not to like certain ammo.

Of course the P99 puts them in the same group as above but doesn't seem to mind any type or brand of ammo.

While the P5 groups good and is comfortable for me, I have to concentrate to keep it in the black. The P99 seems to point better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
J Hoss - I, too, had always thought it odd that it isn't very accommodating to lefties but being right handed I always enjoyed bouncing a spent casing off the confused shooter to my left

OAN, My groupings were always to the left but were consistant. I do concentrate more with this gun as well and enjoy shooting it.
I still like it very much - especially with Nills grips!
b-

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used to have a P5 compact, but it belongs to Sherman now!

I have a full size P5 that I use with a suppressor a good bit, and I recently picked up one of the .22 conversion kits made by Johann Uhl for the full size.

Of all the 9's I have, the full size P5 is my favorite!

Mike in Alpharetta, GA

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the P-5 because I like its unique look and its size.

Any one has a nice P-5 Compact with good price  
 for sale to me?

·
Registered
58 Posts
bhp, I find the P5C with Nills does shoot very good. And your point about pinging shooters with the brass -- yeah! But, the best brass flinger is still the P7 -- sort of catches the spectators in the parking lot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A great big thanks to kearsage, our member, for e-mailing me a copy of the instruction manual for the P-5.
The last page shows the many Walther products for the military and it is impressive, especially the MP-5.
The book also told me how to adjust the rear sights for windage. Apparently the rear sights are the same as on the P99.
The book is full of interesting details including the french words for double action shooting which is "tir en double action". I guess they took the english words afterall or maybe the English took theirs.

And not least, a thanks to AtlMike for selling me the pistol.

-General Sherman

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lancia,
I saw one on GunsAmerica yesterday -- very good price.
I would have picked it up but I just sprang for a couple of new toys in the last week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I really enjoy my p5. It is one of the more accurate 9's I have. Makes a good carry gun if you can deal with the heal release. I bought mine because of the look and part of the serial number is 007xxx.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this Walther Forum. I have a German-made Walther P5 that I would like to sell. Does anyone have any tips on how I best sell it to get maximum price? It is immaculate, and fired less than 500 rounds. My email is [email protected] Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Best price would be through an auction such as gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com

Or, you could just post it here. Add pics to what ever area you choose.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (J Hoss @ Dec. 08 2003,4:10)]I have a P5, P5C and P88C.

The P5s shoot great. Although, I am a little dissapointed that a gun that ejects to the left does not have leftie controls  :oops:
Well my 2 cents

I read somewhere that left handed ejection will get you back on target much faster when having to deal with a jam

1 - 20 of 36 Posts