Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
It's a bit like some other entity telling us to not worry, just go along with the changes, as they're for our safety....

:rolleyes:

12 months eh....:cool:

·
Registered
362 Posts
So, under their ownership from May 4th, has our information already been compromised?
That's just when it was announced, not necessarily when actual ownership and data transferal took place.

The story says that Vertical got breached. If Vertical hadn't yet taken physical control of the databases and centralized them, then it's entirely possible that other forums were compromised, and the recent acquisitions are simply changing policy as an "abundance of caution", as some are wont to say.

Frankly, I would like to know the truth of both the ownership timeline, and the scope of the breach/compromise.

·
Premium Member
8,557 Posts
Map,
I think this is the link you are refering to:
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/techftc/2016/03/time-rethink-mandatory-password-changes

It makes a very good case for not making frequent password changes...

I will say that I agree wholeheartedly with the points made in the article.

We will each make the decision whether mandatory and frequent password changes are worth our time and effort to be members of this forum.

I am less ten impressed with this idea.

Reactions: Rustedbucket

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Reactions: ronin11

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
It has everything to do with it and that's why we aren't hearing anything else from them.
Agreed. The mother ship has likely decreed.

From my standpoint, they can have my password (if they don't already have it). The only thing it will get them is my bogus email address and access to this forum. Who cares?

I don't want to create a unique and special set of logon credentials on a rotating basis just for this forum. If and when it gets too burdensome, I'll just lurk as a guest if I need info on either of the two Walther models that I own.

·
Administrator
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Map,
I think this is the link you are refering to:
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/blogs/techftc/2016/03/time-rethink-mandatory-password-changes

It makes a very good case for not making frequent password changes...

I will say that I agree wholeheartedly with the points made in the article.

We will each make the decision whether mandatory and frequent password changes are worth our time and effort to be members of this forum.

I am less ten impressed with this idea.
Hey there,

Frequent password changes as defined by the parameters in their theory test are 30, 60 or 90 days. Our 365 days falls well out of that range and is just good practice to help you keep your information secure.

As for the report, the article fails to mention that the breach was for a third party plugin. This breach is on countless sites across the internet and not just limited to ours.

Their system was compromised and they grabbed user data for us and thousands of others. As soon as we were made aware, we cleared our part of the breach and went this route to further security. As already mentioned, this is also in place as many members on the internet use the same or similar passwords across all things they use.

These tech blogs don't ever get the full story, there just have hearsay and run with and embellish it.

We cannot go into detail at the moment as it is being dealt with on a legal level.

Thanks everyone,

Dayle

·
Registered
362 Posts
Can you confirm if this site was compromised? For the sake of transparency and honesty?
It appears that this doesn't affect any recent acquisition by VerticalScope. This was their post on DefensiveCarry.com:

Administrator on DC said:
This site has not been affected as that data is dated several months before we came to this site. The breach was a one time hit of a third party plugin that works as an almost separate entity of the site. Their system got hit and data scraped. It is now a legal investigation. The 365 day reset rule can be revisited after the new security system is launched here but at this time it is purely preventative. The articles that keep surfacing don't include that. And since as I said it's now in legal hands we can't discuss anymore details of the ongoing investigation.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
At the risk of oversimplification, I find this adverse reaction to a simple password reset to be, well, an overreaction. It's not a big deal -- not one that I can see, anyway. Sorry, but there are many issues and problems and situations in the world and in this nation to get worked up about these days ... serious issues that require zealous attention and commitment. Resetting a password isn't on my list.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
While I'm sure everyone shares your view that password changes pale in significance compared to global terrorism or world hunger, that doesn't make it any less annoying to some others. Different people have different opinions regarding the amount of effort they wish to go to in surfing various social media sites. You might consider it an overreaction, but others might consider you are overreacting to the opinions expressed in this thread, which was started by Admin/Dayle, presumably as a discussion thread.

In the end, Dayle's house, Dayle's rules. I support that completely. I have no doubt that the decision was made with full understanding of the potential ramifications.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
At the top of the page, click on "Rate Thread" then select "Terrible" from the dropdown menu.

·
Registered
426 Posts
To be honest, i have no issue changing my password. Changing a password every 365 days is a PITA. Not just on this site, but how many passwords on X amount of sites does one need to keep up with? At what point can we hold accountable online forums/retailers for keeping our information safe? How many of them sell our info to line their coffers? After all, most forums are just free commercialization for the products listed in the title. :rolleyes: Just my .02:p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agreed ... and on all counts. Folks will have to make up their own minds as to whether continued participation here warrants the change ... or not.
Yup...I've received notices from two other forums that are now owned by this outfit, telling me it was time to update my password. I haven't changed them yet, and I am trying to decide if it is worth it, considering how often I visit those forum.

I can see this as good motivation to cut down the number of forums I belong to. I only joined this forum because my wife has a PPQ....I really don't need to be a member.;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I belong to a number of forums affected by the VS change over.
The automatically generated password sent to my email worked HERE, but so far has not worked on TWO others. One of which I am a moderator. To say I am PO'd would be an understatement.
I have not tried the others yet.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts