Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went by today and picked up my 2004 P99 AS 9mm. (My 30-days of purgatory, courtesy of the Commonwealth of Virginia, was up yesterday). I brought her home and cleaned her up (not too bad...not too much packing grease - just a little dirt in the barrel from the test firings.)

I plan to take her to the range tomorrow morning to try her out. I can't wait!

I did notice that the mags that came with it were 15-rounders, not 16. They are different than the 16-rd MecGar mags I got from CDNN yesterday. The hole on the mags in the box are marked for 15 and there was NO way I was going to get a 16th round in there. Is that standard? I thought the factory options were 10 or 16. No big deal...just wondered.

In any case, I'm going to put a couple of hundred rounds through her tomorrow and see how she performs. Range report and pics to follow!

Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
Congratulations! It's BS that they play games like that with a free man!

Anyway, Walther as I understand it, only makes the 15 rounders any more. You can tell the difference by the grooves down the sides on the 15rnds. and the sight holes are in the back, instead of the sides... And of course... they only go up to 15.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I got. It really was the "15" on the side that gave it away!

Interesting, though, that I see the P99 listed on other sites (like OnPoint) with 16-rd mags. I wonder what they really come with. I also just noticed that the price is going up. They used to list for $507, now they show $539. (Although they still can't get them in stock!).

I'll probably end up throwing two more 16-rounders onto my next CDNN order, just for good measure!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just traded for a P99 that came with two mags marked up to 15. I was told they were originally made for a country that did not allow 16's. Anyway, they hold 16 just fine. Range report to follow.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't wait to get out of purgatory myself, I applied for my hg permit in November, I still await processing. Ah, the wonders of the democratic state of New Jersey. Congrats on the purchase BTW.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whew...we don't have it that bad! By law, they have to rule on the permit within 45 days or you automatically get a 90-day temporary one. And Virginia is a "shall issue" state, so unless you have a disqualifier (felon, druggie, etc.) they have to give you one. It was my own fault for waiting so long to apply...should have done it months ago!

As soon as it comes in, there's a Ruger P93 and a Steyr M9 waiting to join my collection!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Navy87Guy:

Way to go! Especially for putting up with that wait! I just bought a new 2003 model Military P99AS, in 9mm, just last Monday, and it took 10 minutes for the paperwork and 10 minutes for the PA "Instant" Background Check! Not to make you feel bad, because your wait will be worth it when you shoot yours. You'll feel great when you shoot it. I don't know if Walther uses a special, precision test ammo, but mine had a factory test target with a "square-ish" 5 shot pattern, centered on the bull's eye, and measuring 1-9/16" by 1-3/8" at 25 meters!
I myself can only occassionally do that at 15 feet! But I'm learning!
Good luck, enjoy it, and Practice!

Jerry

·
Registered
158 Posts
Congrats.

I am so happy to be in PA. I can buy and sell as many pistols as I like, get instant check and take the new acquisition right home. A couple of times I have gone in for transfers and fell in love with another at the same time and went home with both.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All in all, VA is a pretty "gun friendly" state -- the 30-day limit is about the only hassle. The State Police check usually takes about 10 minutes and there's no waiting period like some other states. Once I have my CHL, there won't be any hold ups. That could be dangerous -- 30 days gives me a chance to "cool down" and avoid those impulse buys. I could be worse than my wife during a sale at Kohl's!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts