Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you own or know the history of the Astra Constable in .380? I have searched and found very little information about this firearm anywhere on the web. It looks to be a clone or copy of the Walther PPK, with some minor changes.

I have found 2 versions, 1 with only 1 grip screw per side, and one with 2 grip screws per side; Does anyone know which is the newer version?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing your expertise on all things Walthers (and wannabe's hopefully) I appreciate it!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Owned one many years ago before buying my first Walther. Felt a lot more of the recoil. Sold it (lucky for me) just before it had a critical failer and broke. I'd say that between myself and the new owner, we'd only put less than 500 rounds through it, and it was brand new when I purchased it. I'd never buy one again.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Oddly, my experience has been exactly the opposite as regards recoil; never owned one, but the one I shot seemed less rappy than a Walther. It is slightly bigger and heavier.
Moon

·
Registered
629 Posts
It is indeed heavier. Maybe mine had an issue with the recoil spring (that would explain the increased recoil ). I was told that the ultimate failer of the weapon was the slide eventually took too much recoil punishment and got stuck at the rear. Not even the range staff could return it to battery.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Everything you could possibly want to know about Astra Constables can be found in Leonardo Antaris' monumental book, Astra Firearms.

M

·
Registered
122 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but back in late June, early July I impulse-bought a new-looking Astra Constable .380 for the money I had in my wallet that day - about $225.

Took it home, disassembled the pistol, cleaned it, applied sparing lubrication and took it to the range. At about the 80th round, the slide stuck back about halfway to battery. I unloaded and disassembled the Constable and found that the item identified on the Numrich parts list as "slide-stop/ejector" on the left side of the frame had broken. Maybe a labor dispute at Guernica the day that part was cast? Some liquid waste product mixed into the molten pot metal?

Searched numerous gunboards and found links to obsolete gun parts vendors nationwide but none of those I contacted had the item. Finally got in touch with Mike McClellan at M & M Gunsmithing, Hazel Green, Alabama. Bought two of the parts and took the pistol to a nearby gunsmith to ensure correct fit. Got the pistol back and shot another 120 rounds without mishap beyond loosening of rear sight screws requiring tedious (for me) adjustment.

Back at the house, I again disassembled the Constable for cleaning and lost the extractor and ancillary bits from the slide. They appear to have vanished and I've obtained a big magnet to go over the room. I've also ordered replacement parts from Mike at M & M. http://www.mmgunsmith.com/

I'm way more dollars into what I thought was a bargain purchase than I ever intended. Among the several lessons I've learned from the Astra Constable is that I should use a mat or towel or some other convenient visual index in a brightly lit room when disassembling for cleaning any of my firearms. Hopefully by about the time I'm $400 into this impulse-buy, I'll have a reliable pistol that will fit my PPK holsters.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also had one years ago. Biggest issue I had was the decocker cracking but I've had that issue with a Walther PP .32 as well. Also, had an issue with the Astra where the magazine would occasionally drop. It was my EDC and I lost confidence in it so it had to go.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
My shop has a cement floor with a perforated rubber floor mat. I've spent fruitless time hunting parts there.
Taking things apart inside a transparent plastic bag is a partial solution.
Moon

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own an Astra Constable. 380 I think I bought mideightes from a gun store new. When I first bought it the hollow points I got did'nt feed, so I loaded it a hollow point in the chamber & ball ammo in the magazine. Years later I tried newer hollow point versions & they worked fine. Just broke in or improved hollow points? Shot it a lot, esp when first bought it. It's the most accurate semi I have, and my wife shoots it well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts