Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Astra Constable 22lr (1980's) that jams every other round when using regular 22lr. It's some what better when using hi velocity ammo (1500-1650 fps) from Remington and CCI, but still maybe two out of ten rounds still jam. Cannot figureout what the problem is. What happens is the spent shell is not thrown clear of the breach and jams just as another round is being fed into the chamber. Dont know if it's a ejector problem or a magizine problem. Another thought was that maybe it needs a lighter barrel spring. This has happaned since I owned the gun 25+ years, but not used much. Anybody else have this problem. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
The fact that it's better with HV points to short recoil as the problem.

Scrub out the chamber with a bronze brush, especially at the forward end where the chamber meets the rifling.

Then try other ammo. CCI Velocitors w/40-grain bullet have enough energy to work most any .22 pistol. The HV stuff with light bullets don't stay in the bore long enough to maintain pressure.

M

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mike,
Thanks for the response. The CCI velocitor I found comes in a 40gr @ 1435 fps and 183 lbs muzzel energy. All the others have higher fps (which result in higher muzzel energy) but lighter bullets. I will give the 40gr CCI a shot!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried Remington Vipers, worked better but still jams. Believe it or not I tried CCI stinger and the shell seems actually longer than others and that poses a problem as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Constable would never consistently cycle with full eject on any ammo short of the Stinger. However, after researching reviews & performance specs, I'm going to give the Velocitors a try (if I can find them). I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a constable 22lr and I dont have an extractor at all. I have scoured the net for hours looking for a replacement or at least a pic of one, they apparently dont exist anymore. So my question to y'all is, would you be willing to remove the extractor from your slide and take a pic of it and post it or send it to me so i can try to whittle one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts