Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening All,
I am new to the forum and would like to say hello to everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I have come into possession of a P.38 and would like to learn everything about it that I can, not sure what you guys would need to see or where to start, I would like some help, guidance and your best expertise. Thank You, Tim

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Pics of the whole thing and pics of the slide markings would be helpful. Welcome to the fourm!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, can't be really certain from picture focus but it looks like an AC/Walther made P38 that was scrubbed and reblued, based on the WaA359 on the frame and slide right side. The number should be on the forward face of the barrel and the last three and suffix should also be on the locking block under the barrel to be considered matching. The reblueing work though removes collectible status, most would consider it in shooter status. Have it checked though by a Walther competent gunsmith before shooting it, if you choose to do so.
As you probably also know, the holster (postwar remake/repro IMHO) and small tool are Luger/P08 items. While during the war you could use the holsters pretty interchangeably, a lot of reenactors also grab them up. Your P38 mags might not fit very well..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the Nazi emblem in between the numbers on the right side of the slide? It's only clear under the magnifying glass.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The nazi emblem is the acceptance stamp given when the pistol was proofed and accepted. As such, it doesn't really add any value that I can see. An absence of this stamp would be more surprising.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Enjoy shooting it. I built up a P1 from parts I had lying about the the shop and it works fine. I don't worry about the collector's value since it has none, so it need not be a safe queen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts