Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I always carry my P99 in the traditional double-action first mode. I do not think I would carry it in SA mode. I personally just like having the first round being double-action; good safety feature.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've always wondered if walthers intention was for people to carry it trigger forward SA since its different than a TDA trigger in that sense. Personally I feel more comfortable with it decocked though.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The long first SA pull is to prevent accidental trigger pull under high stress situations. It's not meant to make the gun 'safe' for carrying. That's what the DA is for. I would never ever carry in SA mode. I can hardly imagine the level of stress when you're forced to present your gun from a concealed holster. Not the time to have an SA trigger without a safety. I shoot the DA a lot and it's trvial to shoot accurately at defense distances. Once the gun is drawn and there is a need for SA shooting you can easily cock it. Then decock before reholstering.

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ Aug. 09 2006,6:39)]The long first SA pull is to prevent accidental trigger pull under high stress situations. It's not meant to make the gun 'safe' for carrying. That's what the DA is for. I would never ever carry in SA mode. I can hardly imagine the level of stress when you're forced to present your gun from a concealed holster. Not the time to have an SA trigger without a safety. I shoot the DA a lot and it's trvial to shoot accurately at defense distances. Once the gun is drawn and there is a need for SA shooting you can easily cock it. Then decock before reholstering.
What high stress situation? The only time you ever get the long SA pull is after you chamber a round and don't decock. I guess if you carry with an empty chamber that would apply, but for the majority of people that carry with a loaded chamber I don't see how this would come into play. Draw, take a long double action shot than all short single action shots, but none would be antistress shots.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well you'd have to talk to Walther to see what they meant exactly but I imagine they were thinking of situations where you'd have the gun unholstered for a prolonged period of time but in SA mode, perhaps because you just inserted a fresh magazine after emptying the first. Someone thought the AS trigger made sense to add to a traditional DA/SA trigger.

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ Aug. 09 2006,10:08)]Well you'd have to talk to Walther to see what they meant exactly but I imagine they were thinking of situations where you'd have the gun unholstered for a prolonged period of time but in SA mode, perhaps because you just inserted a fresh magazine after emptying the first. Someone thought the AS trigger made sense to add to a traditional DA/SA trigger.
But if you insert a fresh mag after emptying one you're not in AS mode either, you're in short SA unless you decock.

I would love to know why someone did think the AS trigger added something to a tda trigger. Near as I can figure out it either is to help prevent a ND after chambering before decocking or to provide an additional mode of carry if one is so inclined.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Everyone I've let use the AS P99 finds the long sa pull odd. As you pull back on it and it clicks back into the normal SA position, people stop to try to figure out exactly what's going on. I would have prefered that it have only 1 SA position. Now there would be a teriffic "cocking indicator"!

It seems to me that the long SA position exists more by accident than design. Does anyone know of a rationalle for it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
When the state gets around to sending my CHL, mine will probably be carried decocked.

On that note, how often does everyone practice shooting in DA mode? Now that I think of it, the thought has only crossed my mind a few times at the range. Well, that, and, once you start shooting, it's too much fun to want to stop and decock after every round.

Then again, I suppose with the adrenaline in a real defensive situation, the extra weight of the DA pull wouldn't be all that noticeable...

·
Registered
525 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (illspirit @ Aug. 10 2006,11:29)]When the state gets around to sending my CHL, mine will probably be carried decocked.

On that note, how often does everyone practice shooting in DA mode? Now that I think of it, the thought has only crossed my mind a few times at the range. Well, that, and, once you start shooting, it's too much fun to want to stop and decock after every round.

Then again, I suppose with the adrenaline in a real defensive situation, the extra weight of the DA pull wouldn't be all that noticeable...
I generally like to do alot of shooting in 2-3 shot pairs. Decock pistol, lower to low ready with finger off trigger, bring sights to central mass, double tap or mozambique, decock and go back to low ready and do it again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Those both sound like good ideas Soybomb and Nocturnal. I'll be sure to add them to my practice regimen.

Most people I talk to seem to either carry DA/SA pistols cocked or they have a Glock. So the little details and advice about carrying decocked aren't too common.

·
Registered
539 Posts
illspirit, are you sure they aren't carrying a classic SA pistol like the 1911 in cocked & LOCKED fashion? Ie. they have a safety that prevents the trigger from moving. As you know the P99 doesn't have that. I have a hard time believing any well educated/trained pistolero carrying a pistol in SA mode.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yea, for sure. I was thinking about classic SAs before, but just forgot to specify. My (poorly worded) point was that since they do have safties, they don't offer up much advice on what to do without unless you think to ask.

The only time the topic has really come up with someone was before I got the gun. He assumed it was a half-cocked situation like a Glock or whatever, and thought it would be fine either way. After spending like ten minutes explaining the DA/SA/AS thing, the conversation kind of wandered off. By the end of it, the advice I got was along the lines of "if you want DA/SA, buy something with a hammer, or if you want striker-fired, buy a Glock." Needless to say this wasn't too helpful.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.