Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to buy a p99 soon. But I am a little indecisive on which variant to get. I have shot very little. I had trouble with a DA/SA gun that I shot. The transition was awkward for me. I keep hearing the SA on the AS is great. But I know the QA has a consitent trigger pull.
My question is should I get an AS and hope that I get used to the transition or should I get a QA and avoid the DA to SA transition all together?

·
Registered
75 Posts
QA. Its point and click. Always the same. And when you de-cock it, it is 100% safe.

Get a good holster, you will be ok.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I cant say anything about the QA, but I bought my AS without shooting it, and I had no trouble getting used to the trigger. I love the SA trigger, it makes for quick double taps

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am a long time glock shooter who has drunk the cool aid by the gallon. I have just started Training with my p99 to use as my daily carry weapon.

I am have had a little trouble getting used to the SA/DA on my P99.

So I have just plan to carry it in the SA mode. It is as safe as a glock in this manner.

So I pretty much completely ignore the fact that it is a DA.

I am sure some one or many will flame me for what may be seen as a unsafe practice. I guess that if it is in a good holster the trigger will not pull it self. I also imagine that if I draw the weapon I probably plan to shoot.

It works for me with my glock I do not see any reason it will not work with a P99, a better made weapon.

So my advice is buy the AS and carry cocked.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You will get used to whatever you train with. Try them both and go with the one that feels better to you. Sounds like you're leaning towards the QA. Nothing wrong with that. Some like the AS better, good for them too, but that shouldn't be your deciding factor.

I respectfully disagree with Gokyo though. I understand the covered trigger argument, but the AS was not designed to be carried in SA. Cocking and holstering would leave the trigger in the "forward" SA position which makes for a very odd trigger pull, and setting it to the "rear" SA position would require you to pull the trigger some distance on a cocked firearm without intending to fire. This is not a good (or safe) practice.

·
Registered
356 Posts
QA and SA trigger pulls aside, I prefer the AS version because it has a short, crisp, and distinct trigger reset, bested only be a well-tuned 1911 trigger. The QA does not share this characteristic.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The question you pose is all about training and personal preference. I learned to shoot handguns with a pistol that is DA/SA. Although I shot well with it, I never liked the transition from DA to SA and moved into handguns that had consistent trigger pulls.

If you put the time and effort into it, you can become competent with any action. However, your post indicates an established dislike for DA/SA. If you don't like a certain type of action from the start, you may already have your answer.

That said, your best bet is to see if you can find a place where you can get a little hands-on experience with a P99. A shooting range with a rental section might have a variant of the gun available. -Barring that, even if it's just at a gun counter (or a table at a gun show), you can get an idea about the consistent trigger pull on the QA and decide if it's worth going in that direction.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's my personal opinion that the P99 was DESIGNED to give one the option of carrying with the striker cocked and the trigger in the forward position with the long SA pull. It's not going to fire unless the trigger is pulled, and the long pull gives an extra margin of safety. Otherwise why even have that "anti-stress" trigger option? A Sig is either cocked with the trigger and hammer back (and not carried that way) or decocked. Now admittedly the manual recommends decocking if not firing immediately, and I personally decock the pistol to carry. But I think it is a carry option. (But again, this is my opinion, and not a legal recommendation!!)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Big Dave.... I agree with you.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had an AS and although I learned to adjust to the transition I never liked it. Whenever I'd shoot IDPA I dreaded that first shot and hoped for that ever so sweet P99 SA mode.

The point is that DA/SA guns are mainly justified by reasons other than getting the best trigger possible for accomplishing a good first shot (short, light, consistent). These reasons are anti-stress, liability protection, perceived safety etc. which are *generally no longer issues after the first round goes off (insert specific contradictory issues here).

If this is a range/fun gun, get the AS (for sure) as you'll have more fun with it. If this is a carry/defense gun I'd lean towards the QA consistent trigger pull and note that I never owned a QA and I find the QA trigger to be too long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts