Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
1,763 Posts
No issue with carrying in AS mode. I usually carry in DA for an extra margin of safety against a shirt getting caught up or some such thing but the gun is perfectly safe and safties are engaged as long as you don't depress the trigger.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
While it's certainly and unarguably somewhat more difficult to manipulate the DA trigger compared to the SA mode, at least inattentively, negligence WILLresult in the gun going off if something is introduced into and onto the trigger during holstering.

Relying strictly on the DA to "cover your arse" is as as foolish as pointing a loaded gun at your foot and and touching the trigger.

I'd put my faith (and do) in a good holster, vigilance when holstering, and safe gun handling and etiquette over a perceived or otherwise "safety" feature.

Put 5 manual safeties on a gun, and there's going to be a goober who will pop him-herself with it.

And I'm not bagging on the DA/SA system. There are folks who like those triggers, and there are folks who prefer the same trigger from the top of the mag to the bottom. Thankfully we have the choice...Walther could be just like those Austrian Globs and give us the same gob****e trigger in the same gun with 3,785 variations and generations LOL.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Relying strictly on the DA to "cover your arse" is as as foolish as pointing a loaded gun at your foot and and touching the trigger.
I don't know anyone who says they rely upon double-action in lieu of safe handling and good trigger discipline. What we're saying is anything you can add that (1) doesn't slow you down if you need the weapon yet (2) enhances safety even a little so as to (3) mitigate the all-too-common human propensity to err is a good thing.

Some people don't think they'll ever make a mistake. More power to them. Others know that the odds do not favor reliance upon that belief.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Matters of Degree

As someone who's about to pick up a new P99c, I've read through this thread and maybe half to two thirds of the older threads hashing (and rehashing) the DA vs AS vs SA modes with great interest. For those veterans of these wars who become frustrated at all the rehashing, be aware that new readers/new owners find the question both interesting and important.

For what it's worth (about what you've paid me), here's what I've taken away from these discussions, at least to date. Re "margin of safety," etc., it's all a matter of degree:

1. Carrying decocked/DA is safer than carrying AS.
2. Carrying AS is safer than carrying SA, and hence carrying a P99 is AS mode is safer than carrying a PPQ/Glock/etc.

The risks of carrying SA are:

1. An increased likelihood of human error, esp. in crisis situation.
2. An increased likelihood of something other than one's finger (shirt, etc.) depressing the trigger enough to fire.

AS has more of those risks than DA but fewer than SA.

Everyone has to weigh these risks on his or her own scale. As I have gotten older (alas), I have become more uncomfortable with carrying SA. Hence my forthcoming purchase of the 99c and decision, reluctantly, probably to sell a very nice VP9 and PPQ.

At least until I have the opportunity to become proficient with the DA trigger pull, I will probably carry, at least most of the time, in AS. I think the long trigger pull is a sufficient guard against the most likely risks of an unintended SA discharge. Once I gain confidence firing DA, that may well change.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I've only had my P99c since around January. I've only carried it in AS once and that was by mistake. The DA on this gun is really nice. After just two range trips, I was confident with my DA lead shot. The rest is smooth as silk.

·
Registered
57 Posts
DA only

I only carry de-cocked for DA with bullet in chamber. That's why I bought the P99, for DA mode. Just a little extra security and peace of mind.

·
Registered
772 Posts
AS mode, since 1999. As Gmountain pointed out, there's really no other reason for AS mode to exist and as UE mentioned, and I can confirm, until 2008, IIRC, the Owner's Manual did not recommend carrying decocked. Even my 2009 built P99c came with the older version of the manual. I don't remember exactly when they changed it, though the revision date of the manual should be on the back cover, but like most manufacturers, they continued issuing the old manual until they ran out, which is how my 2009 got the older manual.
Since this post caused a recent new P99 buyer to misunderstand the P99 manual of arms, I'm posting a correction:

In the old manual, page 18, this is what it says:
"If the weapon is not to be fired at once, decock the pistol by pressing the decock key."
Since the act of holstering is clearly not the intention to fire at once, decocking before holstering is the only course offered by this passage.

And here's the link to the old manual in a searchable PDF:
http://www.carlwalther.com/docs/p99_man.pdf

·
Registered
43 Posts
The number of DA/SA polymer pistols are few, especially this quality.

I carry it in DA mode with a round in the chamber, and there are reasons for it. DA is a good mode for carry. It takes practice drawing and shooting. 9 lbs = 2 lbs in a panic situation. The manual in section 4.2.2 says to decock after loading, and it says it again in 4.3.... after a defensive shooting situation they'll pull out the manual if you have to go to court. That fact that this is mentioned twice indicates to me that it was meant to be carried in DA mode. You'd better have been able to say under oath that you followed the instructions. AS seems to be something that was meant for having fun with at the range, or if you have to reload.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I actually think the AS mode may have been an unintended consequence of the striker/trigger system. I totally could be wrong. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
I disagree -- because Walther could very easily have made the trigger move into SA position when the striker is 'cocked'. The fact that Walther didn't ... strongly suggests that AS mode was quite intentional from a design aspect.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I stand corrected. Kind of figured I was wrong with that but figured I might as well say it anyway for the chance to learn from others. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
For clarification and the avoidance of doubt:
It wasn't a correction; I merely disagreed. As I wasn't involved in the design of the mechanism, I'm absolutely NOT in a position to make authoritative corrections on the subject. Hence why I expressed an opinion that disagreed with yours -- because I was speculating just like you.

I do, however, think it's fairly sound speculation on my part...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Understand completely. Didn't mean to attach any implication to your post. But sounds like your probably correct nonetheless. I've never looked at the internals so was pure speculation. And I think I read someone else postulating it was an unintended byproduct but again your probably correct.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts