Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, but does everyone carry theirs in double action? is the gun safe enough to carry in single action, not the AS stage, or is an ND too much of a posibility

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Double-action. And that's the way my manual says to carry it, although I understand the manuals that came with earlier weapons did not have that admonition.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
AS mode, since 1999. As Gmountain pointed out, there's really no other reason for AS mode to exist and as UE mentioned, and I can confirm, until 2008, IIRC, the Owner's Manual did not recommend carrying decocked. Even my 2009 built P99c came with the older version of the manual. I don't remember exactly when they changed it, though the revision date of the manual should be on the back cover, but like most manufacturers, they continued issuing the old manual until they ran out, which is how my 2009 got the older manual.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I think the whole point of the As is the ability to carry in AS mode.
I'm not going to dictate how someone else carries their P99, but I don't think the AS mode is anything other than a byproduct of making a DA/SA striker fired pistol.

The reason the trigger moves back when a DA/SA hammer-fired pistol is cocked, is because the hammer is connected to the trigger through the trigger bar, and all three are in the frame. On a striker-fired pistol, the striker is in the slide, while the trigger and trigger bar are in the frame. The trigger is not connected to the striker all the time, only when the pistol is in battery. It would probably be difficult and complicated to design a DA/SA pistol that operates like the P99 AS, that doesn't have an AS mode.

I think someone at Walther probably figured this out, and decided to make a feature out of this byproduct.

Personally, I carry my P99 in DA mode.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Always carry in AS mode or single action, as long as your finger isn't on the trigger as you draw then there really shouldn't be a problem. Bad habits equal ND's, not the action you carry in. Despite what the manual says about recommending to carry in double action I don't really see much of a point of why they would make this this pistol with the AS to tell people to use DA, I don't think they developed it to play around with at a range.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Always carry in AS mode or single action, as long as your finger isn't on the trigger as you draw then there really shouldn't be a problem. Bad habits equal ND's, not the action you carry in. Despite what the manual says about recommending to carry in double action I don't really see much of a point of why they would make this this pistol with the AS to tell people to use DA, I don't think they developed it to play around with at a range.
I agree with your comment.:)

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
We've beat this drum any number of times in previous related threads, to no avail, certainly, and certainly without changing any opinions. Those who want to carry in SA mode will do so, and those who do not will not be dissuaded otherwise. As for me, I always carry in DA mode and practice accordingly. What's the point of having a safety feature installed on a pistol if you don't use it?

Here's a sample of a previous thread on the topic:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/16973-carrying-p99c-mode-safe-not.html

Plenty more where that came from.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
BFD: Probably, though the bigger question might which of the hundred threads devoted to the topic should be the Sticky?

As an aside: You don't have a P99? Shocking.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I'm not going to dictate how someone else carries their P99, but I don't think the AS mode is anything other than a byproduct of making a DA/SA striker fired pistol.

The reason the trigger moves back when a DA/SA hammer-fired pistol is cocked, is because the hammer is connected to the trigger through the trigger bar, and all three are in the frame. On a striker-fired pistol, the striker is in the slide, while the trigger and trigger bar are in the frame. The trigger is not connected to the striker all the time, only when the pistol is in battery. It would probably be difficult and complicated to design a DA/SA pistol that operates like the P99 AS, that doesn't have an AS mode.

I think someone at Walther probably figured this out, and decided to make a feature out of this byproduct.

Personally, I carry my P99 in DA mode.
I'm going to have look at this in more detail, but off the top of my head, I disagree. I don't see how having two different SA trigger positions, with the same trigger weight and only travel distance as the difference, as being a "by product" of the design.

If it is, they couldn't fix it and they decided to call it a feature and designed the whole AS mythology around it, then that was marketing genius.

What's the point of having a safety feature installed on a pistol if you don't use it?
That assumes you consider decocking a safety feature. It is a necessity on a hammer fired gun without a thumb safety, but on a striker fired gun that even without the decocker has all of the same safety features as the PPQ, PPS, Glock, XD, M&P, and I'm sure several I'm forgetting, it's really not.

If the gun weren't meant to by carried in AS mode, why would they have ever named it the P99AS? Just to differentiate from the QA? That wouldn't have been necessary, really. They could've easily left it as the P99 and the P99QA. Or they could've called it the P99DA. But they chose, specifically, to call it the AS, calling out the Anti-Stress trigger, which they put a lot of their marketing $ on the P99AS into.

BFD: Probably, though the bigger question might which of the hundred threads devoted to the topic should be the Sticky?

As an aside: You don't have a P99? Shocking.
This one's as good as any. It's nice and short, so far, and it references another one. Plus it's current.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts

I don't see how having two different SA trigger positions, with the same trigger weight and only travel distance as the difference, as being a "by product" of the design.

According to early factory literature (I have not actually measured it myself, but I regard it as substantially accurate) the trigger pull weight is 2,000 grams in double-action (i.e., after decocking) and 1,000 grams in SA. Later literature varies slightly, but not by a great deal.

Trigger pull travel is described as 14mm in DA, 5 mm in SA mode.

M

·
Registered
2,722 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I don't see how having two different SA trigger positions, with the same trigger weight and only travel distance as the difference, as being a "by product" of the design.
What I mean is that I don't think Walther set out to design the AS trigger for the P99. I think it is just there due to the fact that the P99 is a DA/SA striker fired pistol. It would probably be complicated to make the trigger move rearward to the SA position when the striker is cocked, due to the trigger not being actually connected to the striker. I think the design is pretty simple for a DA/SA striker fired pistol, and I think this is a good thing.

Either way, whether this is the case or not, this really doesn't change whether or not someone should or shouldn't carry the pistol in this mode. I just personally choose to carry my P99 in DA.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I wonder if the P99Q has an AS mode, or if they managed to get it to only have two modes.

But I will freely admit that I have changed my mind since the last thread on this topic that I participated.

I decided, how can I bitch about carrying my P99 in SA mode when I just bought a PPQ that is basically a P99 with only an SA mode?

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I wonder if the P99Q has an AS mode, or if they managed to get it to only have two modes.
Posts #15 and #26 in this linked thread seem to indicate that there is only one trigger position on the P99Q, whether it is in DA or SA mode, so I assume there are only two modes of the trigger:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p99/13976-p99-q-new-pic-s.html

I decided, how can I bitch about carrying my P99 in SA mode when I just bought a PPQ that is basically a P99 with only an SA mode?
I carry a PPQ.

I have the opinion that if someone wants to carry the P99 in AS mode, so be it, though personally, I don't see enough of an improvement with my first shot on target with the P99 in AS mode when compared to DA mode, for me to want to give up what I feel is an extra safety measure on the P99. You still have a long first shot followed by shorter follow up shots, it is just the weight of the first shot that is different. I shoot better with a PPQ than I do with a P99 in any mode, so I carry it.

I think everyone should make up their own choice on this subject.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
According to early factory literature (I have not actually measured it myself, but I regard it as substantially accurate) the trigger pull weight is 2,000 grams in double-action (i.e., after decocking) and 1,000 grams in SA. Later literature varies slightly, but not by a great deal.

Trigger pull travel is described as 14mm in DA, 5 mm in SA mode.

M
We're talking about the difference between trigger forward SA (AS mode) vs trigger to the rear SA.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts