Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allrighty guys,

I've bought some Meprolights for my P99, and the darned rear sight is too big to go in without some filing.  Are these files from Lowe's suitable for filing the sight?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes....ge=none

I also had to order an "economy" Glock front sight tool from glockparts.com.  Has anyone else ordered and used this to install the front sight?

I'm a little hesitant to start grinding on the rear sight before I hear some opinions on the matter.  Thanks in advance for the replies!

-stunks

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I have sene others here claim that they had to do some work on their rear site.

Someone else just brought it to a local smith and paid him to do it. IF it were me - while the P99 is supposed to have user changable sights... I would still pay to have it done right!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shipwreck,

Before I read your reply, I decided to grow a pair and give it a go...

The narrowest file was able to fit underneath the rear sight groove where it was sticking.  Sooo, I started to it.  I pushed the sight in to see where it was sticking and went to that first.

When that side would clear a little more, I noticed it would catch on the front rail!  I was a little hesitant to start taking off the finish of the sight, but I looked at the P99 FAQ and the Meps in the picture also seem to have been filed to bare metal.

So, after about an hour of filing, it fits!!!  My secret?  Go sloooooooowly. You can't put the metal back on.  I actually tried to match the profile of the cutout in the slide when viewing it from the side; not quite square.  The new sight actually fits a little tighter than the plastic stock sight, but it still slides completely through the milling on the slide.  Looks great!  The adjustment screw works just as before, too.  Now I need to find some kind of "bluing touch up" to cover that bare metal so I won't have to keep it doused in oil.

All in all, I was surprised at how much I actually had to take off to get that darn thing to fit in the slide!  Now, I have to wait on my glock-front-sight-tool to complete the installation because I just can't get in the slide with those tweezers...  Thanks again!

-stunks

EDIT: spelling (getting late, and I can't believe I misspelled "suitable" in the topic subtitle, bah!)

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Hey, congrats!!!

Actually,I have heard of some people here using tweezers. And, I think they suggest using some loctite on the screw otherwise it will come off. NOT the permanent locktire, though...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The problem is not with the P99 but rather the Meps.

I have three different sets of sights and the only one that needed modification was the Meps. But I didn't take a file to them. I guess I was lucky. All I did was get some really fine (Blue) sand paper and rubbed the bottom of the rear sight on the paper and the sight slipped right in.

I would try the fine sand paper before I would a file. I also had a front sight tool that came with my Big Dot 24/7s so I lucked out again.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

I thought about filing the bottom of the sight, but the installation instructions that came with the Meps specifically said to widen the groove on the sight with a "very fine file."  This makes more sense when you're looking at the rear sight in your hand.  I remember reading posts about the instructions stating to file the SLIDE, so apparently, they've changed that wording a little.

Besides, I think actually got a set that was fairly oversized.  I'm pretty happy with the way they fit.

Does anyone know of, or use, a specific blue/black touch up kit.  I can find a black touch up kit on www.bluewonder.us, but its pretty expensive and complicated for a small job like the rear sight.  Thanks for the advice.

-stunks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I guess you got them in, so it too late, but you made me cringe since it sounds like you filed on the slide..

I always alter the sight and not the gun - my rule, "alter the cheaper part".

Have you test fitted the front to make sure that fits too? In my experience, some sights have the post that sticks into the slide oversized, in which case you want to evenly bring down the outer diameter of the post without marring the underside of the sight. Take one of your triangle files and grind down one side to 'deaden' it, and then you can work in that corner without gouging up places where you don't want to.

If you're needing to touch up the slide, I don't know that blueing will really match the finish on the P99 - it comes across more as a flat black. So mabe try a small brush and flat black enamel? You may have to do some experimenting..

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
No, he wants to touch up the site w/ black... I would try some black model pain maybe... Whatever U use, U don't wanna do the whole site, because you will have issues around the dots of the site.

Oh, U know what I have used for similiar issues... Just get a black sharpie marker. Remember, it must dry 1st or U will just smear it off if U touch it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aha! Sharpie! Excellent idea, Shipwreck.

Sorry if above post was confusing, I actually didn't file the slide, but I remember reading some posts where it said in the instructions to file the slide instead of the sight. This stupidity has been corrected in the instructions for the Meps I bought.

Also, the front sight does fit okay, I just can't tighten it with tweezers like some others have done. Don't tell my wife I used her "makeup" tweezers to try it!

-stunks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Take a junk 1/4 inch drive socket and grind down it's outer wall to make it a 'thin wall' socket which will fit inside the slide. Then take a hex/allen key that is the same size as the socket and fit the socket over the tip of the long end. You can use tape to hold them together. Tighten gently. If you tighten and the site still moves, remove it and file the base of the site.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heh!

Too late, I've already ordered a cheapie tool from glockparts.com.  I wish it would get here so I can finish up the installation.  I've got my locktite ready!

Hopefully, I will not have to file the base of the front sight. If I just drop it in the hole, it looks like it sits just shy of flush, so that's a good thing.

-stunks

P.S. I can't decide if I like the way the Sharpie looks.  It doesn't really stay on that well, even after letting it dry for hours.  I might just put a thin film of grease over the bare areas and be finished with it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

The front sight fits well. The front sight tool just fit in there! No filing necessary...

Ordered some OXPHO Blue from Brownell's to touch up the sight on the rear. Looks GREAT!

Thanks for all your help.

-stunks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts