Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
If they aren't factory Walther/Mec-Gar, then they are crap.
The USA, ProMag, Eagle etc. are junk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those are ProMags... there have been a lot of posts about them on the forums. Some people seem to really like them, but most seem to have a lot of problems with them.

I got two of these when I picked up my Walther because I needed 4 mags to play with the following weekend and the gun store didn't have any factory mags in stock. They didn't lock the slide back. Per the suggestion of someone on this forum I bent the spring up under the follower a bit, and I also cleaned out all the junk that was in them from the factory. That worked for a little bit, but now they only lock the slide back about half the time. I suppose I could replace the springs with Wolf springs, but by that time I might as well have bought factory mags.

I ended up picking up four more stock factory mags on ebay so now I don't even use the promags at all except as a barney mag (i.e. to load one in the chamber before loading u a full "real" mag).

My two cents, go for the factory mags.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nocturnal,
You beat me to that reply. But seriously how much worse can promags be over a mag which falls apart within 20 rounds?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dude, if you want factory 10 round .40 mags, I have two S&W spares you can have for U$35 shipped. Orange followers though but they worked great so far.

Fritz

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have 4 promags that I use at the range in addition to the two factory mags. My factory mags seem to be in good shape now that I've replaced the floorplates twice
The Promags often don't lock the slide back. On the other hand, they have never spewed .40 cal rounds, plastic parts, and springs all over the range floor either, so pick your poison I guess

If I could find a source for metal floorplates, I'd buy a bagfull of them...

·
Registered
112 Posts
My experience with the Promags that I purchased from Fourfourmag conclude the exact same advice to you as NM_P99:
"If they aren't factory Walther/Mec-Gar, then they are crap."

Do not waste your money on the Promag crap that Fourfourmag sells, it is like flushing money down the toilet. I purchased after market mags for my P99 from every available source I could find, including FourFourMag, and determined that they are all junk compared to the original equipment manufacturer. If it is not Mec-Gar, don't waste your money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up 4 of the 17 rounders a while back. Never had a problem with any of them. Always lock back, and 17 rounds is nice.

Given what I know now, I wouldn't have purchased them and I consider myself very lucky.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a couple of 10 round promag magazines for my CZ. They work just fine. I had one failure to feed but I think that was due to me limp wristing the pistol. I was shooting in a competition and we were to shoot from the hip strong hand only. I had never shot like that before and do believe I may have limp wristed it. Promag mags in a Walther P99 may be a different story all together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts