Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S&W makes a polymer handgun in 9mm, .40, and .357sig.  It's got a stainless slide, melonite finish, and has replacable backstraps.

No, not the SW99, their new M&P:

http://www.firearms.smith-wesson.com/store....veTab=2

Do you think they will continue to market the SW99 now that they have their own?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Possible, but not probable. Looks like they've taken the interchangable backstrap thing just like H&K did. I don't see how they'd be marketing the SW99 with a similar feature set against their own product.

Looking at it, it's not bad looking.

Kinda looks like a cross between the SW99 and a Springfield XD. Wonder when they're coming out, I'd like to handle one. BUT, I already have too many polymer guns!

-stunks

·
Registered
108 Posts
I hope so. Personally, I never liked the SW99. I wish they (S&W) had focused on selling the Walther P99 instead. It seems that since the Sigma was a flop SW wanted to cash in on a better, more popular design.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is a SIGMA in new clothes. It will not compete against the SW99 merely offers another product for a different demographic

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought it had a SIG like look to the slide (aside from the Cobra Carry scallops), and like Dave mentioned, a bit like a Beretta (Neos, storm) in the grips.

I think that they are similar enough that S&W will replace the SW99 with the it in thier lineup. That way they won't have to pay Walther any royalties either. The only saving grace for the SW99 is the same option not available with the P99 - chambering in .45.

·
Registered
47 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (RyanSBHF @ Sep. 11 2005,22:26)]...It seems that since the Sigma was a flop SW wanted to cash in on a better, more popular design.
A S&W rep told me that the Sigma is one of their best selling guns. When you figure you can easily find a new Sigma, two hi-cap mags and a lifetime warranty for $279 I believe him.

Not saying it is a great gun or bad, just for the price I can see why it sells well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DavePont @ Sep. 12 2005,03:04)]looks a lot like the Beretta PX4 Storm
Agreed.....personally, I'd rather get the Px4 (in which ever century Beretta decides to release them).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts