Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have a question regarding PPQ sights. I know a factory test target is included with each pistol, but do the pistols leave the factory with the rear sight aligned, or is it up to the user to do the alignment?

Out of four or five PPQ m2 9mm pistols I've seen in stores, the rear sights on almost all are clearly and sometimes grossly shifted left. I've read at least one comment on this forum asserting the sights are aligned at the factory, but a gunstore salesman told me no, the rear sight is just installed on the gun and it's up to the owner to align it. I'm now tending to believe him, but on the other hand I don't want to spend $600+ on a gun only to find out the hard way I'm wrong.

I get that the sights are adjustable for a reason, but I thought it was more to fine tune as opposed to grossly adjust. I already have a VP9 and Glock, but those are not so easy to adjust and appear to be accurately lined up from the factory.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Your gun store owner is what we like to call: wrong.

The sights might get knocked out of line after the bench test or more likely by that "friendly" gun store owner who just can't keep his mitts off the merchandise, but the sights have been bench tested before leaving the factory.

When the QFE was imported by S&W they had to replace the sights with the factory tritium sights because laws prevented the Q to be imported with those sights but past that it just isn't done.

·
Premium Member
13,566 Posts
Yep, what Olsoul said. I'll take it a step farther. The gunstore salesman you talked to is dumber n' a box of rocks. You need to find another gun store.

I really can't address the idea of pistols showing up in gun stores with the rear sight grossly shifted to the left. Maybe its the gun store employees flubbin' with the guns.

The windage adjustment system utilized on the PPQ is sooooo easy to adjust, even a blind man can do it.....takes ALL of 10 or 15 seconds.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Wait. I've got it: Might well be that the gun store guy is realigning the sights himself when the pistols come into his shop, just to provide some credibility to his theory. We all know how those gun store guys can be, after all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your very fast replies, I wasn't expecting that! :) I realize my question may be very basic.

I wonder if I'm using the wrong terminology and conveying the wrong impression. On the guns I've seen, the rear sight itself is installed in the correct position, with the windage adjustment screw correctly secured in the plunger slot. The problem appears to be that the windage adjustment has either not been set (aligned), and thus the windage is essentially randomly shifted towards the left, or the windage has been intentionally aligned to the left at the factory, implying (to me) that the bore axis is misaligned with the slide (which I have a hard time believing would be true).

If the windage is simply random and unaligned from the factory, I can indeed easily adjust that myself at the range and hopefully it will all line up pretty much centered.

I hope that clarifies my question, and again thank you for taking the time to help.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I feel the rear sights are set right in center at Assy.,test fired and if they are not correct the PPQ is not shipped.
I have never seen or read of a PPQ coming from Germany with sights so far adjusted to one side, as to get the needed sight picture and target groups.
Someone other then Walther Germany, did some adjusting of the OPs PPQ.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
wbc,
If the sights had to be that far to the left to get a centered group, that weapon would never leave ULM.

If you purchase a NIB PPQ with the rear sight not centered don't accept it and have the store replace it with another that has a centered sight.

Personally I've never seen a NIB Walther with a misaligned sight....oh and BTW welcome to the Forums.

Reactions: Mark P.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

I wanted to update this thread since I got a new PPQ m2 9mm this weekend. I inspected the pistol before I bought it from a local dealer. The rear sight windage was adjusted slightly, but noticeably, to the left. I checked the factory test target, which show a nice 1 1/4" group, so I decided to get the pistol.

I was off work today, so I went to the range this morning to try it out. At 7 yards, the POI was an inch or a little more to the left of center POA. I shot a second magazine on another target and got the same result. Six clicks (quarter turns) counter-clockwise on the windage brought the rear sight to the center, which worked to make the POI coincident with the POA.

I'm amazed at how accurate this pistol is, or maybe it's more correct to say that I'm a more accurate shooter with it.

Thanks again to all who commented on my initial post.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Great to hear. Generally, you can do a quick visual of the sights and they are almost always dead nuts perfectly centered to provide the coresponding POI.

·
Premium Member
13,566 Posts
Yep, that's great. The question of how some of the pistols you looked at have misaligned sights is a little baffling, as I've never run across that, and I've handled a LOT of PPQ's.

However, one thought comes to mind. I'm wondering if Glock has infiltrated the Walther supply line with a few moles....and these moles randomly remove a pistol from the case, remove the rear sight (no tools required), give the windage screw a few turns and reinsert...laughing all the time they're doing this....then put pistol back into case and into the supply line for distribution? That would be a dirty trick.

I've installed lots of sights in PPQ's/P99's....etc. It's soooo easy....and the initial line-up is nothing more than using a good eye and centering the rear sight in the slide....then to the range and fire off a few rounds to check alignment....then make any adjustments that might be necessary. Rotating the windage screw by 1/4 turn (one click) moves the impact point approximately .7” at a distance of 25 yards.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My first PPQ the sights were correct from the factory, even comes with a test fire results paper... After using the standard box for transporting the gun to / from the range, I managed to knock the sights out of alignment... Since the gun goes into the box with the right side down, the sights moved to the left...

I took it as an opportunity to upgrade the standard sights to Dawson FO front / black rear...

Taking my new PPQ to the range today for the first time, I am sure they are aligned but I will probably change the sights out anyway... Just the kind of guy I am... ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interested to hear how you like the Dawson FO. I just installed the on my PPQ and found the front to be too small as others here have as well.
My Springfield XD Mod 2 had a much large diameter FO front sight which worked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,566 Posts
I run the Dawson FO front sight on my PPQ 5 inch. Personally, even with old eyes, I like the small diameter FO rod for target shooting. If you prefer a larger 'dot' why not experiment with some of the additional FO rods included in the Dawson package. All you gotta do is melt 'one' end into the size dot you prefer, measure the length the rod needs to be, cut it off, insert into the sight and use a lighter to heat the other.

If you do it right, you'll be happy. If you flub it up, you can buy some more FO rod and try it again....its cheap.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I just installed the on my PPQ and found the front to be too small as others here have as well.
There are 3 different widths available for the FO front that work with the black rears...

If you buy the combo, they come with:
•Dawson Charger Black Fixed Rear .210 Tall x .125 Notch Width
•Dawson Fiber Optic Front Sight .180 Tall x .100 Wide

This will leave a pretty big hole between the front and rears... I like this for competition shooting to pick up quickly when I have a larger target...

If you get the front and rears separately, you can get all kinds of options, FO fronts up to .125 wide and rears as skinny as .115 opening...

Dawson customer folks are really good and might be worth a call to discuss your concerns with them directly...

I love mine...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did check with Dawson right after I received it. Sadly, the diameter of the fiber optic is the same, it's only the width of the actual front site that gets wider. They do sell a larger diameter fiber optic, but it will not fit into their sights.:mad:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Have you looked at Trijicon??

WP101-C-600738: Walther® HD Night Sight Set – Orange

Front is quite a bit wider than the Dawson... I love the small FO front on mine, pick it up quickly for competition... The Viridian X5L that is also on the gun is used for low light (late night) encounters...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have a question regarding PPQ sights. I know a factory test target is included with each pistol, but do the pistols leave the factory with the rear sight aligned, or is it up to the user to do the alignment?

Out of four or five PPQ m2 9mm pistols I've seen in stores, the rear sights on almost all are clearly and sometimes grossly shifted left. I've read at least one comment on this forum asserting the sights are aligned at the factory, but a gunstore salesman told me no, the rear sight is just installed on the gun and it's up to the owner to align it. I'm now tending to believe him, but on the other hand I don't want to spend $600+ on a gun only to find out the hard way I'm wrong.

I get that the sights are adjustable for a reason, but I thought it was more to fine tune as opposed to grossly adjust. I already have a VP9 and Glock, but those are not so easy to adjust and appear to be accurately lined up from the factory.

Thanks for any help.
I just purchased a Walther PPQ M2 sc with tritium sights and I took it to the range and my shot groups were 3" to the left and 1" too low at 10 yards. I shot my Beretta, and was dead center.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am sure others will chime in here. I would shoot it a few more times to make sure your grip and finger placement is correct and that you are not doing something wrong with the trigger pull.

I am not saying you are a bad shot! I am just saying a new gun may take a bit to get the hang of, and then you can adjust if necessary. Maybe try a different ammo too??

Others will reply and give you more specific advice.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh, also this thread is old. Some people may see the original date and figure they already read it and so pass. If you do not get feedback here, you can repost question on the rimfire category.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts