Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Context here: all four of my Sig P series ('87-'01) were proofed in Kiel and I prefer "100% German" handgun types which have been used by Landes-, Staatspolizei, Bundes- etc or their military. My wife and I just returned from Regensburg and Nurnberg. For me any of their duty handguns are considered a bit 'collectible' from a personal perspective. The Sauer 38H is still here-my first handgun, at age 58:eek: (see what can happen) in 2013!
A US-made gun would be considered.

Am quite familiar with Sig USA (produced and assembled here for years), and realize that HK must produce here for military contracts etc.

Wiki is vague. I couldn't Google current info on the P99 AS situation after 2013, or didn't want to swim through pages to maybe spot what should be a simple, clear fact about the production situation.
What is the present situation with most of these P99s, including today's production/assembly of this specific type of Walther? Any info is appreciated.

If 100% American, based on the very high quality described in multiple enthusiastic reviews, that's super. Planning to sell my last Enfield rifle today (same guy bought the ammo), will have most of the cash.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
No, German made.

There were some S&W SW99 variants made here, but only so many. Walther produced most if not all of the frames for those, as is with the MR9 and MR40 frames for the Magnum Research pistols. IAOF has some, as do a few others here.

AFAIK, the only guns Walther-branded made wholly in the states are some legacy PPK, and of course the new version.

Hope this helps. I may be missing a few details, but that's the gist of it, AFAIK.

·
Premium Member
13,804 Posts
Its simple. Walther P99's have always been manufactured and assembled in Germany.

As Thunderbirdsport pointed out, there were some other manufactures producing knockoffs .... but they aren't P99's. In most cases, involving these knockoff, Walther manufactured and supplied the frames and internal parts while the other company (in the US) supplied the barrel and slides.

Keep in mind that the importer has to stamp/mark the firearms. While Smith & Wesson was the importer for Walther firearms, the frames were roll marked with the Smith & Wesson logo. But the firearms were 100% manufactured and assembled in Germany.

The only time a US manufacture touched a Walther firearm, they flubbed it up BIG time. That'd be when Smith & Wesson hired Beavis and Butthead to remove the plastic sights and install 'steel' press fit, night sights on the PPQ First Editions. They screwed many of those dovetails up beyond belief.

So, a P99 is 100% German...Period.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
You only need to look at the proof marks on the frame,slide and barrels of the P99s to verify where they are made.
You'll see DE on the slide (Germany) plus nitro proof date code and proofhouse (ulm staghorn) and serial number.
Barrel will have nitro proof and serial number
Frame will have serial number, nitro proof and made in Germany.
These should convince you of the origin of the firearm.
Older models will have an importer stamp, either Smith and Wesson or ERS INC Pearisburg VA

·
Registered
692 Posts
The foreign made firearms market and importation is a bit confusing.

As others have said earlier P99's will have Smith & Wesson stamped as the importer, new versions will have Walther Ft. Smith.

Sig has moved production of most if not all their firearms sold in the US here, I'm assuming this was to satisfy procurement requirements for LE and military contracts.

Sig purists are always trying to find German variants.

Glock is a little more confusing, they have some made here and in Austria.

Now if you want a P99 without the Ft. Smith stamp on it, Earl's repair shop imports them Germany and I don't believe they stamp them with an import mark. (someone might correct me on this)
http://www.carlwalther.com/p99as.htm

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Earl's repair shop imports them Germany and I don't believe they stamp them with an import mark. (someone might correct me on this)
Walther P99
As I said before Earl's will be marked with ERS INC Pearisburg, VA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
*Ordered a P99 AS tonight from Gunbroker Buy Now (Fuquay Gun..). It has the curvy Ulm proofmark.

Odd how my four Sigs and other German Sigs have them on the chins (mostly Kiel 'squashed bug'), and are very tiny, along with very tiny JH or KE etc date codes.

Purely by coincidence I found an old discussion which claimed that only the .40 cal. P99s were produced by S&W.

This simple fact--if so--became quite obscured, or most people aren't curious.

Thanks for the info and spirited discussion. So much Cleaner than any on AKfiles….:)

·
Registered
3,318 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The foreign made firearms market and importation is a bit confusing.

As others have said earlier P99's will have Smith & Wesson stamped as the importer, new versions will have Walther Ft. Smith.

Sig has moved production of most if not all their firearms sold in the US here, I'm assuming this was to satisfy procurement requirements for LE and military contracts.

Sig purists are always trying to find German variants.

Glock is a little more confusing, they have some made here and in Austria.

Now if you want a P99 without the Ft. Smith stamp on it, Earl's repair shop imports them Germany and I don't believe they stamp them with an import mark. (someone might correct me on this)
Walther P99

BATFE would NOT be pleased with an unmarked imported firearm. Earl's are marked.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
*Ordered a P99 AS tonight from Gunbroker Buy Now (Fuquay Gun..). It has the curvy Ulm proofmark. .......

Purely by coincidence I found an old discussion which claimed that only the .40 cal. P99s were produced by S&W.

Ah, S&W made 9mm, 40SW, AND 45ACP on the P99 frame. Have been SO tempted when the occasional 45ACP P99 comes up for sale. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,143 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
There haven't been any P99s made by S&W in the USA since the glaciers last receded... :)

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
There haven't been any P99s made by S&W in the USA since the glaciers last receded... :)

Didn't they make a few .40 P99? Seems like I read that they did here somewhere... ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ah, S&W made 9mm, 40SW, AND 45ACP on the P99 frame. Have been SO tempted when the occasional 45ACP P99 comes up for sale. :rolleyes:

Get one. I did and I had only one single regret about purchasing it... it took all my money and I wasn't able to buy the two-tone SW99 45acp with a stainless slide that recently came up on sale at gunbroker.

Very fine pistol. Just as good as my P99s in 9mm. The magazine release is shorter than the modern p99s but on the larger .45acp frame it feels adequate.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Get one. I did and I had only one single regret about purchasing it... it took all my money and I wasn't able to buy the two-tone SW99 45acp with a stainless slide that recently came up on sale at gunbroker.

Very fine pistol. Just as good as my P99s in 9mm. The magazine release is shorter than the modern p99s but on the larger .45acp frame it feels adequate.
I passed up that same gun new at my LGS and was kicking myself for years, until I picked up one on Gunbroker. (not the two tone)

·
Registered
75 Posts
*Ordered a P99 AS tonight from Gunbroker Buy Now (Fuquay Gun..). It has the curvy Ulm proofmark.

Laufer,
I own a P99 .40, I do not recall it having a SW marking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts