Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered quite a few firearm related things (AR parts and lots more ammo) since the end of February. The delivery time varied anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks or longer.

I ordered some AR triggers from Simply Triggers Shop - AR-15 drop-in triggers last Friday, 7/24. Got a shipping number today....they'll be here by next Friday.

Just passing this along to anyone that might be considering upgrading the trigger in their AR. Oh, and the price was nice too.

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Curious re what you are looking for in the new triggers that improve the action or eliminate possible issues in the factory triggers? As you know I am new to anything AR related but I do like the Daniel Defense DDM$ V7 trigger although the pull weight is a little heavier than I would prefer.

·
Premium Member
13,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's lots of nice AR triggers out there. The stock triggers I installed in my AR's were heavy, with way too much takeup/pretravel. I have some Elftmann triggers that I really liked, but when I went back to my preferred seller they were out of the Elftmannn.....so I ordered some Velocity 3 lb.triggers.

The Elftmann triggers are excellent with 'zero' takeup, clean break and short reset.....me likes. Everything I've read about the Velocity triggers was positive and ratings were just an rch below the Elftmann. Pricewise, the Velocity is about $50 cheaper.

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
I just tested the DD V7 for the first time. Pull weight averaged 6.5lb. There is almost no take-up, break is short and crisp and reset, which I will measure tomorrow, is approx. .15". I would like something in the 3.5 to 4lb trigger weight so I will check out those vendors. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Just discovered both Precision and Elf are in Phoenix area. Spoke with Precision owner for quite a while and am planning a visit to the shop to preview the Classic AR trigger and perhaps have them install one....it's a no-charge service. Any thoughts/suggestions before I go?

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Chandler,
Geissele two stage triggers are nice.
Ask Precision their two stage triggers too.
Geissele indicates virtually all triggers are out of stock and there are several companies with the name "precision".....Precision Gold Triggers (cost runs about $2k), Overwatch Precision and even Velocity uses the name "Velocity Precision". A bit confusing. There are 3 trigger manufacturers in the Phoenix area including Velocity and Timney so I'll stay close to home. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
Chandler,
Geissele two stage triggers are nice.
Ask Precision their two stage triggers too.
I use Geissele two-stage triggers in my ARs and couldn't be happier.

I know there are many options but the Geissele's definitely work and work well.

·
Premium Member
13,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The real question is do you want a 2 stage or a single stage trigger. Again, many choices out there. And you're right, many firearms related items are out of stock. With that in mind, Velocity shipped my order almost immediately....ordered on Friday, shipped on Monday.

Pull the pins and remove your lower from the upper. Take the lower with you......drop by Velocity and I'll bet they'll plop a trigger in there while you wait.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Oldfart,

Ever look into Timney??? I am building two rifles now, and I am pretty sure I will be giving them another look when it comes time. The “adjustable” trigger on the FN I picked up could either use some work or just needs to be scrapped and replaced as a cost of building. I could also just trim some wood out of the trigger pocket. The other G98 I just picked up over the weekend and will be rebarrelled has a factory single non adjustable trigger on it that will probably go into the scrap bin as well. Timney had a certified dealer/installer in the same town as where I went to College. I tried out some of his latest work, and while installing a trigger is as easy as you laid out, there are just some fine tuning things that need to be done by the professionals. I would put a Timney on in a heartbeat.

What say you?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think Geissele is the gold standard in AR triggers. I use the Hi Speed National Match Trigger in my carbine, and have their two stage Super 700 in my 338 Lapua build. Both triggers provide a plethora of flexibility, allowing me to virtually adjust between a true two stage or a pseudo single stage.

·
Super Moderator
3,860 Posts
I have a Geissele in one AR, a Timney in another, a TriggerTech in yet a third. Of them, I like the TriggerTech the best.

Reactions: BornFighting88

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Not AR trigger, but a friend of mine had I think a TriggerTech put in his Remmy 700, and the way he explained it to me was that it was two dowel pins riding tangent on one another as the sear engagement. Trigger pull is more like a trigger twitch. Hahah. Very nice.

OldFart, any further progress on what you went with?

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Errrrrr, yep. They came yesterday....put all three in....they feel much like the Elftmann....virtually no takeup, 3 Lb. break with extremely short over-travel and reset.
I had the 3lb installed yesterday. There is zero take-up and a 1/10th" reset.

Which trigger pull weight device do you use? My Lyman digital keeps showing an average of 4lb but I watched the installer test the trigger in the vise with the mechanical device and it yielded a 3.25 average. Thinking about ordering a Wheeler for comparison.

·
Premium Member
13,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lyman digital. I've got the 'curved' trigger. When I place the hook in the middle and pull straight back it's right at 4ish. If I place the hook toward the bottom of the trigger its 3.3ish.

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
OK, I'm getting 3.5 at the bottom of the curve with the gauge angled slightly down. The Wheeler will be here at 6pm so that will be a good comparison. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Just received the Wheeler. First test was to compare the two devices. That was accomplished by setting both to zero, grasping one in each hand, connecting the rod tips and pulling in opposite directions until the Lyman digital showed a reading of 3.0. I rotated the Wheeler to read its scale and the arrow was sitting on 3.0. Believing that was satisfactory I began multiple trigger tests alternating each one. Approximating the same angle and location on the trigger I ended up with an average of 3lb 10oz with both. Individual pull results were also very close with each pull. I will accept the 3lb 10oz given that the trigger spring is new and will eventually reach a set point after 200-300 rounds of firing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts