Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am aware of the differences between the first gen and second gen P99s and there seems to be a lot of interest on this forum in acquiring a gen 1. What exactly is appealing about the gen 1's vs gen 2's to those who feel that way?

(I ask this after buying a first generation P99 over a second generation today...my decision was made because primarily because of the trigger guard design. But that's just me.)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I like the first generation from a collector's standpoint, it is the original P99. The second generation is functionally an improvement, but I like the historical Walther's better. Actually, I need to own a second generation also:D

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
For Walther's first plastic-framed gun, designer Horst Wesp was given an assignment to make a quantum leap over Glock. He had a rare opportunity: carte blanche to design it any way he wanted, and he chose to be very innovative. Both in function and styling, the P99 was intended to be, and was, a radical departure from the norm.

Apparently its appearance was too exotic for S&W who had the job of marketing it from 1999 onward, and somebody persuaded Walther to "Americanize" it. I think the changes, apart from the mag catch levers, are mostly cosmetic, to soften and tone down the harsh angles and planes. In result its futuristic styling has been diluted with pablum because it is believed that's what the U.S. market wants. I have a hard time seeing that as an improvement.

M

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
A first generation of any Walther handgun is what I am interested in. I wish I hadn't been strapped for cash when I sold it some years ago.

SN #000237. I'll never see that one again. I have a second generation pistol now. The only noticable difference is the solid trigger with a little more curve to it that the original.

I do rather like the improved trigger, but it's just not the same as having a first generation.

I had a PP from 1929 that also left my collection about the same time as the first generation P99. Still makes me sick to this day.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think the Gen 1 is truer to the original intentions of the designers, and for me is more appealing aesthetically. I particularly like the finer slide serrations and the much more subtle import marking (mine is an Interarms gun) as well as the original trigger guard shape. The Gen 1 P99 functions like today's AS model (SA/DA), just in case that matters to you.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
A first generation of any Walther handgun is what I am interested in. I wish I hadn't been strapped for cash when I sold it some years ago.
SN #000237. I'll never see that one again. I have a second generation pistol now. The only noticable difference is the solid trigger with a little more curve to it that the original.
I agree with you....
I recently missed the sale of #001313
but please do check that serial # again..... production serial # started 001001 and the preproduction had a V in front of the serial #

Attachments

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I agree with you....
I recently missed the sale of #001313
but please do check that serial # again..... production serial # started 001001 and the preproduction had a V in front of the serial #
My mistake: 001237. Been several years now.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
The gen II is functionally better, but the Gen I is much prettier in my opinion. I has more classic Walther lines in it I think.
My thoughts exactly.

The newer mag release is absolutely easier for me to manipulate, and having open rails gives a lot more flexibility if you want to attach a widget. Functionally, the Gen2 is an improvement.

I suppose it's sort of like comparing a new Corvette to one from the 60's... without question, the new car is better built, faster, more comfortable, etc. But one cannot deny the aesthetic appeal of the old ones.

thorn

·
Registered
38 Posts
Apparently its appearance was too exotic for S&W who had the job of marketing it from 1999 onward, and somebody persuaded Walther to "Americanize" it. I think the changes, apart from the mag catch levers, are mostly cosmetic, to soften and tone down the harsh angles and planes. In result its futuristic styling has been diluted with pablum because it is believed that's what the U.S. market wants. I have a hard time seeing that as an improvement.

You nailed it. The "Americanized" look is what kept me from wanting a SW99, I thought it looked like a bastardized P99. I was extremely disappointed when I saw the 2004 redesign. FWIW, I also prefer the original Steyr M9 and the 2nd gen Glocks to the newer incarnations.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a 2004 model and I love it, but the gen 1 frame has that angled accessory rail which isn't good for much, but looks really cool. It is at least 20% cooler than the new accessory rail.

in other words it comes down to looks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts