Walther Forums banner

Anyone Use Recoil Reducers for Their P99?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  adend 
#1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has had experience using different recoil assemblies than what the standard P99 is supplied with.

I came across a recoil reduction system from Sprinco ( http://www.sprinco.com/recoil.html ) which seems to be selling dual spring recoil assemblies, similar to HK's recoil reduction system.

After a round is fired, and the slide starts moving back, the slide works against the first spring of the recoil reducer.  

After the slide has been slowed down a bit by the first spring, a stronger second spring kicks in, to deal with the slide during its remaining range of motion.

Reportedly, this dual spring system:
- extends the life of your firearm by making the slide interact with the frame less severely
- reduces felt recoil
- reduces muzzle flip.

I own a P99 chambered in 9mm.  While the recoil doesn't bother me, I would like to reduce muzzle flip a little more.  I am still learning to shoot, so would probably benefit more by seeking additional training.  

However, if these recoil reducers really do perform well, buying one might benefit me as a beginner shooter. If I get better down the line, maybe I'll be able to appreciate the improved handling of the weapon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Unjoiner,
That exact recoil spring assembly was installed by another member of this board. He found that it did not fit and did not work to any noticeable degree and I believe he went back to the Walther recoil spring.

Like you said, the recoil on the 9mm is not bad. The same $70 that gets you a recoil spring will get you about 650 rounds of 9mm. Add some time and concentration and those 650 rounds will fix your problems better than the new spring ever could

From personal experience, another way to tame your recoil problem is to shoot something bigger. Try shooting a lightweight .45 and concentrate hard on getting all your shots where you want them to go. After about 50 rounds, go back to the 9mm and it will suddenly become very very easy to shoot on target.

-Yoshi

#4 ·
Or shoot a smaller pistol in the same (or even smaller) caliber. I like my Kahr PM9, but it's no where near as fun to shoot as my P99 .40

The PM9 has alot more recoil (although it's very managable) due to it's smaller size/weight, so when I shoot the P99 in .40 it's like a dream.

Just another option to consider.

#6 ·
I have the Sprinco product on my P99. Does it make a difference? Yes, though I notice it less than my wife. I tried the product, in hopes it would make my wife's shooting experience more enjoyable. There is a noticable difference between springs when pulling the slide back. The Sprinco is much stonger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.