Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is John and new to the forums. I was just wondering if anyone has done yet to see if it helps with muzzle-flip. I know some say it helps on the PPQ, but not sure if this is entirely true.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got one and installed it. I could not take down the pistol with this installed. The slide release would not disengage at all. I returned my stainless guide rod.

·
Premium Member
13,614 Posts
^^^^^But, JP....if you could not take down the pistol with it installed, and the slide release would not disengage at all, how in the cornbread 8ell did you return it?

·
Premium Member
13,614 Posts
TT....muzzle flip? What muzzle flip. If you're shootin' a 9, its like shooting a pea shooter. Now, if your shootin' a 40, then yeah, it'll kick a little bit.

Many people on this forum have tried and/or are running steel guide rods. Some swear by em', other's, well, they may not feel the difference.

This is a question that only YOU can answer. Pick one up and give it a try....if you don't like it, I'm sure you can sell it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
^^^^^But, JP....if you could not take down the pistol with it installed, and the slide release would not disengage at all, how in the cornbread 8ell did you return it?

You can't release the slide with the takedown lever turned down. If you turn it back to locked, you can release the slide. You then have to take it down without using the slide lock.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I say with a lifetime warranty if the guide rod messes up I am sure Walther will stand behind it & fix it. I am sure you could contact them & they would just send out a new one if needed. I just hope it performs like the PPQ did.

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
JP - I had the exact same experience. I contacted the manufacturer and was sent a second one, and it did the same thing. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My name is John and new to the forums. I was just wondering if anyone has done yet to see if it helps with muzzle-flip. I know some say it helps on the PPQ, but not sure if this is entirely true.
BT Guide Rods makes the best available. They're in all my pistols.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got one and installed it. I could not take down the pistol with this installed. The slide release would not disengage at all. I returned my stainless guide rod.
You got a low end recoil assembly. Use a better product. A better product would use factory oem springs. BT Guide Rods makes the best aftermarket guide rod assemblies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same thing happen. I wrote to BT and they quickly sent me a second one and the same issue occurred. I sent both back and was refunded.

To answer your question: in order to take it out I had to apply additional force to pull back the slide. It seemed like it was only a few millimeters off but enough to not be able to function normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Stainless Steel guide rods.

All my pistols that use guide rods have stainless steel guide rods simply because I have a lathe and lots of round stainless bar.The little extra weight can't do anything but help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wouldn't cal the weight difference between ploymer and stainless steel as neglible.However the weight difference between a polymer rod fitted pistol and a stainless rod fitted pistol most likely won't really be noticed.I feel no difference in recoil between the two rods.Next project when I get time is to make a recoil reducing rod just to see how much difference I can make to a 92 compact.

The weight difference is negligible from the polymer to steel guide rods so most don't even notice a change in recoil. The main reason people change them out is because it's believed that either polymer guide rods are crap or purely for the longevity but Glock has been running polymer guide rods forever and there's no issues with them. Same goes with Walther so unless you're paranoid, a perfectionist, OCD about steel or just want to spend more money on your gun, it's not worth it.

If your guide rod ever does fail, contact Walther and they'll either send you a new one for free under warranty or sell you one dirt cheap.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just you saying that there is not much difference between polymer rod and SS or even Tungsten tells me you never shot both next to each other.
Trust me have 2 same pistols and one with a polymer rod and the same pistol with a SS rod or even Tungsten and you ABSOLUTELY can feel it, again the real test is side by side and alternate between guns.

Here are some weight differences in guide rods SS vs Walthers Tungsten
Ok,
I did weigh and compare a Walters Tungsten vs BT extended stainless steel rod for my 5"PPQ M2 9mm.

BT Extended rod Stainless Steel for a 5" = 47 Grams (approx 1" longer then Walthers Tungsten Rod)

Walthers Arms Tungsten Rod 5" PPQ = 62 grams. Approx 1" shorter than the BT rod.
15 grams difference, worth it? if the Walthers was the same length as the BT then the difference could be as high as 30 grams total?

Both Rods had the red recoil spring on when weighed.
I wish the Walthers rod was extended(same length) like the BT rod and it would be even heavier out in front of the slide.
I think the Bt SS extended rod was around $80 bucks + shipping, Walthers Arms Tungsten was 127.90 with shipping

Straight up Tungsten is approximately 41% denser than Stainless Steel, a cubic foot of Stainless Steel weighs approx 495 pounds(18-8), vs a cubic foot of Tungsten weighs 1,205 pounds.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well maybe your a machine and can't tell the weight difference ? It's like holding a 1dollar bill in one and and 100 pennies in the other ! Drastic weight difference! Lots of talk on this forum. If you ever really shot 2 of the same guns side by side alternating back and forth between the 2 I do believe HANDS DOWN you would feel the difference ! Please don't switch the rods back and forth and tell me that's the same! And I can tell you for a FACT THE IN A GLOCK 19 mos and a WALTHERS PPQ 5" it DOES make a huge difference in my groups at the range. Have a nice day , and enjoy your guns. That's what's it really about.

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've run the sprinco recoil reducer in mine. Picked it up specifically for competition, and it made it a very flat shooter. More so than stock. Not sure how much of that I contribute to the guide rod vs the new spring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks, I will still read yours hoping you can enlighten me on something as I can learn from all, but your statement in my eyes realy makes no sense.
to say there are no advantages is 100% false and giving many the wrong impression. Thank you for your thoughts. I
All I did was also state my opionin and you sir took offense to my statement because mine was different from yours. 1. I do believe the weight differance from polymer to Tungsten is significant, 2. I beleive that it can and does for a fact tighten MY groups and yes when side by side test in a same guns, 3. you can feel recoil differances.
Have a nice day

1 - 20 of 20 Posts