Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to handle one the last time I was in a gun shop, but have yet to fire an SP22 yet. I was just curious if anyone else has had any experience with them yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
They're so new, it is likely that very very few have field experience with one. I found it an intriguing design that may be to, uh, well, high--end the P22 design. I like the P22 as a fun plinker, but the accuracy out of mine is only OK once you learn where your P22 hits.

·
Registered
10 Posts
shoots nice

I just purchased mine and have only put a few hundred rounds through it - seems to shoot really nice. Quality build too! nice .22LR for the money!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the 3.4 barrel all black. No qualms just a really fun gun to shoot! I just bought some subsonics to try out this weekend as well as some CCI Velocitors...

·
Registered
93 Posts
This gun may be my next purchase if I can find one. A few people on other forums indicated initial reviews were pretty good, and the SP22 barrel is apparently compatible with the P22 thread adapter (for those of use considering suppressing it). And the price is right.

Kstateskier: you say you have one all black? Do you mean the slide/upper as well? I'd like to get a 4 inch blued version and have a 6 inch stainless steel conversion barrel/upper. However, on the Walther website it only shows the aluminum uppers as an option.

Also, does anyone know how the SP22 operates, BTW? It has rails on the upper/slide, so I am thinking it is similar to a ruger mkii/mkiii internally, but not sure.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great little plinker. It's very accurate but the damn safety and a few other things just don't feel right for me. It however shoots like a dream.

They have one on the range for rent.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
One thing that bothers me on the SP22 is that there is no slide release
The grip is a bit too bulky for my hands and I hope the M4 will have some better ergonomics.....
To me it looks like Umarex took some of the SSP design features and incorporated it into the SP22.... the long sight picture and the cocking handle being just a few.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Well the SP22's I have looked at have no slide release.....
or maybe I am just too old fashoned to figure our where it is....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I shot one recently. The little sucker is a definite improvement over the P22 on the accuracy end and is a really nice pistol. That being said, I prefer the looks/function of the P22 any day.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I dropped by the gun store today and checked out one they had in stock. I didn't see a slide release either. It seeked to work like a PPK in that in order to bring the slide forward you had to manually operate it. Also, there either had to be a round in the mag or no mag in the gun for it to work. Otherwise it stayed open no matter what. I kind of prefer slide release buttons myself, but this in and of itself isn't a deal breaker.

The gun FELT great in my hands. It had the famous walther ergonomics but unlike the P22, the weighting was perfect. It was neither too heavy nor too light. And it wasn't nose heavy or anything. I wish I could have dry fired it, but since the SP22 is rimfire, I decided against it. The safety didn't bother me that much. Actually, since it is a single-action only gun, I kind of liked it. That way you can carry with one in the chamber without having to worry. (Normally I hate manual safetys).

I just wish they offered a blued slide. The chrome almost makes the SP22 look a little too science-fictiony.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It looks like some SP22s have a slide stop and some don't, depending upon the magazine button.

From page 5 of the SP22 manual:

Insert the empty magazine, retract the slide. The slide should be locked back in its rearmost position by the slide stop lever (only if the bigger magazine button is installed).
From page 7 of the SP 22 manual:

7 Pistol with empty magazine

After the last round has been fired, the slide stop holds the slide in the open position (only if the bigger magazine button is installed - if the smaller magazine button is installed the slide will travel forward into battery). Place the manual safety in the safe position. If you intend to continue shooting, replace the empty magazine with a full one. Pull cocking levers rearward and release (fig. 17), the slide will travel forward and load the chamber with the first round. Keep your pistol in your shooting hand and pointed in a safe direction so that there is no danger to other persons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New SP22

200 rounds through and no problems. Sweet shooter, great grip.
Concerns:
1) Trigger - reset is significantly longer than the P99AS. It's just plain long period. Hopefully that can be modified aftermarket.

2) Sights - The front sight is interesting but I want fiber optics. Hopefully hiviz or other will have an offering soon.

3) One-hander - If you are accustomed to a "thumb-high" two handed grip make sure you watch the placement of your support hand's thumb. Those slide grips can sting a bit.

4) Cleaning - The manual is beyond light in terms of breakdown. Unless my copy is somehow missing a few pages the instructions stop after removing the outer housing - leaving you with a closed slide and no access to the chamber.
If you left the hammer cocked when you removed the housing it is a fairly simple matter to move the internal slide back, carefully lift the aft end of the slide to clear the barrel mount, and then gently move the slide forward taking care not to bind against the barrel housing. The barrel is now exposed for a thorough cleaning.

Caveat: I am no expert when it comes to Walthers, disassembly, or pistols in general as you have probably determined from my informal terminology.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought the 3.4 barrel all black. No qualms just a really fun gun to shoot! I just bought some subsonics to try out this weekend as well as some CCI Velocitors...

The SP22 does not come with a 3.4 inch barrel. Barrel lenghts listed in the catalog are four and six inches. Nor does the catalog list an all black version.

I think you are confusing a P22, which can have a 3.4 inch barrel and be all black, with the SP22 under discussion here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts