Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anybody has seen ported barrels on the P99. I was just curious cause Jarvis inc. does make ported barrels.

·
Registered
263 Posts
sniperm1a,
  I have not personally seen a ported barrel on a P99.  There was a thread on the Jarvis barrels a while ago here;

Walther Forums; Jarvis Barrels

Walther Forums; Jarvis Barrels 2

This is something that I posted in the first thread.  I'm still curious about it too, so if anybody knows, please chip in!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What is this ported barrel that they say is available for the P99?  Is it similar to the available upper gas ports on Glocks?  Wouldn't the slide of the P99 have to be slotted like the Glock slide for this to work?  Unless you wanted to have a silly long barrel with the gas ports cut into the top of it on the portion that extends past the slide...
-Yoshi

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have seen one. A guy had it done by his local gunsmith.

I guess I have to ask why anyone would want a gun ported? Their noisey. During night shooting a big fireball comes right up into your line of sight, blinding you. If you have to do a quick fire from the hip, you get a face full of hot powder. I guess I just see no use for porting, especially on a P99.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've seen them but I'm not impressed by them. Ported / compensated barrels can be useful to some plinkers and are almost mandatory for IPSC type competitive shooters (guys who shoot heavily modified race guns). They help reduce muzzle flip and perceived recoil. The gases are directed upwards and that helps keep the gun down. -That said, they're a poor choice for anyone who wants his gun to pull double duty of plinker and self-defense due to the reasons cited by Devin/P88.

If this is a carry gun or self defense gun, you wouldn't want it ported because the flash will be directly in your line of sight. Also, if you practice with a ported gun and swap the barrels for when it becomes a self defense gun, you've put yourself at a disadvantage. You've practiced one thing when you're going to have to do another.

Personally speaking, I think compensated / ported handguns are a bane to new shooters. (I'm not saying that "sniperm1a" fits into that category.) I've been all around the country and I always see some loser behind the counter of a gun shop trying to convince a new shooter that he should buy a compensated pistol because it will reduce muzzle flip and perceived recoil. -They know the person is generally looking at something they can shoot at the range and use for self defense if they have to and they steer them wrong just to make a sale.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts