Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try the Walther Derma Grip and the Brooks Tactical A-Grip (already on my G34 and the best I have ever felt) but I was wondering if anyone offers a grip texturing service, sort of like the Robar treatment of the Glock pistols. I have seen smiths texture the grips of XDs, Glocks, and some other poly framed guns. If done properly, this would be an excellent addition to the P99, at least for me.

Caspian:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Caspian...
I think you will be happy with the Derma-grip.....
If not there is a guy that does M&P's that looks to do some amazing work... also on Glocks if I remember.... let me dig for the link....
http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.com/index.html

hope that helps....
Oliver

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had seriously considered the M&Pc before I ultimately decided on the P99c. In my research, I came across Burwell Gunsmithing which seems to do some pretty impressive work with the M&P, as does Bowie. Burwell's pricing seems a LOT more reasonable than Bowie's. I have no idea if he does work on Walthers, and I've never used the guy, so take this as nothing more than a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Here are some pics....
it is like a shrink wrap...
once it is on ... you can't take it off... unless you just cut it... but it is not reusable...... it is a factory accesory from Walther...and it is only for Polymer frame pistols.....
*edit to say that this is the best $20 spent on the P99

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looks good, I may take a closer look at that as well.

I am curious though, it looks like it runs a bit close to the mag release. Does it effect it in any way? Did you need to do any trimming there?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I wanted it up as far as possible......no problem with the mag release at all and the only trimming I did was by the magwell
the picture is from the German Walther site

so you can slide it up as far as you want it to.... heat it up and then it stays in place....
it is not thick at all and won't (would not) print more than if you put one of the Hogue rubber "slide on" grips over it... like the ones you see on many Glocks and H&K's

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've tried the Hogue on an HK and I'm still not sold on it, this looks like a much better solution.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hogue and Pachmayr work too

I've used both the Hogue Handall and Pachmayr slip on (size 3) with my P99 and like them both better than the Derma Grip. The Derma Grip was abrasive. The Hogue and Pachmayr have finger grooves that I like for positioning and the soft rubber lessens felt recoil a bit. Though neither the Hogue nor Pachmayr fit perfectly, both are tight enough at least with the small P99 grip that I use. The Hogue needed to be cut down a bit, easy enough to do with a straight-edge. The Pachmayr needed no modification. Each costs about $10.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For the price of each, you really can't go wrong with just experimenting with all three.

Different strokes and all that. I actually really like the abrasive feel of the dermagrip.

Good Luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kind off topic.

But all the slip on rubber grips are a bad idea for a carry gun. During the last class I took, we had a long stent on Handgun retention. The instructors demonstrated how easy it was to actually have the gun SPUN arround, and pointed back at you by an attacker!

YMMV

·
Registered
22 Posts
FWIW, I don't really think that could happen with the Dermagrip. Its shrunk fit onto the pistol grip with no slop or slack in between at all.

I'll try and experiment tonight when I get home and report back. Honey..Could you come try and wrestle this handgun from me...:D

I guess I feel like it would actually increase your probability of weapon retention in a struggle because of the abrasive grip surface (harder to have the weapon wrenched free from a tight grip).

YMMV

·
Registered
22 Posts
Alright, after playing with the Dermagrip on my P99, I really believe you would either break the slide free from the frame or break your wrist or hand before the Dermagrip spins.

In my estimation, it ain't going nowhere. Unscientific of course and worth exactly what you paid for it.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just ordered the Derma-Grip. How much heat is required to get thie grip to do its shrink wrap thing? Is this something a hair dryer could do?

Caspian

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I used a blow drier....
if you apply too much heat (like a too hot heatgun) it might discolor or even damage the frame)
the instruction give you a temp range for it to put it in the oven, but I would stay away from that since you have no way of making adjustments to the shrinkwrap
You will notice that the Derma-Grip is "bigger" on one end....
I put the small end by the mag release... and slwoly started to shrink it there first... then adjusted it as needed and then worked my way down the grip.....
it might be hlpful to have a 3rd hand if they know what they are suppose to do

·
Registered
22 Posts
I actually used the oven method specified in the instructions. I did it at about 190 degrees and propped the frame up so that no part of the Dermagrip rested on the oven rack.

I was surprised at the amount of time it took. If memory serves I let it bake for about two hours before I was satisfied. I also periodically took it out to work the material into the grooves and indentations in the grip.

Be patient and work it in while hot and it will fit like a second skin. Use an exacto knife or similar to carefully remove the overhanging material when done.

Also, be sure to function check the mag release for any interference and trim as necessary.

Good Luck, I think you'll like it when done.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
+1 on working the material.....
I did start on the top of the grip so I would not have to cut anything there....
I did have to use the knife on the magwell to cut off excess material

1 - 20 of 23 Posts