Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting the latest P99 AS. Was wondering if anyone has seen one, or bought one?
It looks like the slide is rollmarked and the import writing is engraved.
I like the all black look, not the laser engraved look.
Also wondering how it performs. it looks like it has S&W engineering designed into it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got my 2004 P99 3 weeks ago. Absolutely love it. Definitely prefer the engravings and logos on mine than the earlier models I've seen.

From the book I have "The Walther Handgun Story" Walther created the P99 completely on its own launching in 1996 and only AFTER S&W became the official importer of Walthers into the USA in 1999 did Walther create a modified frame to furnish S&W so that they could add their own slide and barrel to make the SW99.

I have fired the SW99 as well and thought it performed as well as the Walther. However, I did have 2 jams with the SW99 using the same Winchester 115gr rounds as I used in my Walther which has had 1000 rounds through it with no jams whatsoever. I paid slightly more for the Walther over the SW99 mainly because I am a Walther fan and own a PPKs in stainless, and a P22. The SW99 is a fine weapon, but I prefer the P99 on emotional grounds.

Have had 2 Glocks which I thought were fine but prefer the P99 and I think the H&K USP is right up there. Have fired the Ruger P95D which belongs to a friend and its a nice one to own as well, although I felt it didn't point as instinctively as the P99.

I've never been one of those people that thinks you should get a gun based only on its merits and not because of name brand or heritage or aesthetics. Guns are a combination of history, technology, manufacturing ability, quality, reliability, feel, accuracy, aesthetics, even art when you look at fine shotguns or engraved guns. Buy what you love. I love the P99.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the 2004 QA. The fit and finish are top notch. The slide serrations are a great change, as is the revised trigger guard without the hump that bugs some people. No complaints about the gun. The magazines, are another story, as I ranted in my last topic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a follow-up, I've gotten a few emails asking how I got a 2004 model. Actually, I'm not quite sure, just ordered it on June 16th from a local dealer who had trouble finding one. After a few days he called and said he had one coming in. Mine is definitely a 2004 as it is stamped P99 AS on the slide and the trigger hump is gone. Great weapon, just feels right

·
Registered
7 Posts
i really disliked the redesign when i saw the pictures initially, but after handling one at a gunshop yesterday i really love it. i like it even more than the original. does $550 seem like a good price NIB? that is what it was going for. i will hopefully be purchasing an AS model in a couple paychecks.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
$550 isn't bad.  I've seen a couple of the new ones at a local sporting goods store, Galyans.  I think they were in the same price range.

Regards to Jocasta-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone tell how the P99 fullsize compares to the Glock 19 with respect to concealabiltiy? How does the P99 do as a Comcealed Carry weapon? Does anyone currently carry one? Tell us about it if you do please....

Thanks
Nala

·
Registered
7 Posts
the P99 should conceal about as well as a Glock 19, as they are of similar dimensions. i think the P99 and similarly sized handguns are about the best you can get for concealment if you are looking to conceal a high capacity service pistol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just an update. Shot another 1000 rounds through my 2004 P99 in the last 2 weeks (my friend, then my sister, then my brother-in-law, then my gym buddy wanted to shoot it). So far 2000 rounds, AND NOT ONE FTE. 100% reliability.

I've never experienced that with an auto before. Amazing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts