Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to start yet another holster thread, but I couldn't find anything that answers my question.

A tuckable holster appeals to me since my daily dress is business casual with my shirt generally tucked. I really like the Crossbreed but I don't like the cross on the clip. Not for religious reasons, (I'm not particularly religious) but more that it doesn't fit my style, and, given Crossbreed's popularity, the cross on the clip seems like a dead giveaway as to what's attached to the clips.

WhiteHatHolsters makes a holster that's very similar to the Crossbreed, has plain metal clips, but also has interchangeable kydex scabbards. They do make one for the P99 but no mention about which generation.

Does anyone here have a MaxTuck? What do you think of it?

·
Registered
382 Posts
... the clip seems like a dead giveaway as to what's attached to the clips.
I think it is worth noting that the clips are a giveaway that you are carrying a gun regardless of whether or not they have a cross on them. If you're just going for everyday concealment from the general public, then that is probably fine. If you want to conceal the gun from people who might actually benefit from the knowledge that you are carrying a gun, then you should consider another method of concealment.

I have had very good results with a belly band, shirt entirely tucked around it, and belt used to support it from the outside. Of course, to the very observant, a gun belt telegraphs the same message as belt clips...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Most holsters will handle all generations of P99 with no problem, but if it's a big concern then make sure they have a good return policy.

You can minimize the look of clips IF you can get a belt that matches the color of the clips closely enough...but since the metal clips on the vast majority of holsters of this type are black, so if you wear a brown belt you're screwed.

The only tuckable holster that will barely register is the Galco Skyops that uses Y clips instead of J clips. I don't recall if they make on for the P99 or not.

I've used a belly band holster as well and been very happy with it, but I only use it when I'm wearing something without belt loops, like workout shorts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys.

Chip, yes, you're right. Anyone who's familiar with this type of holster will know what the clips are holding whether they're plain or have a cross on them. I haven't considered a belly band so I'll have to look into it, though I'm not sure how well that works for someone with a considerable belly to band. :D

Jon, I looked at the King Tuck and Skyops from Galco but they don't have one for a P99.

I contacted Tony from WhiteHatHolsters and he said he didn't think the maxtuck would fit the P99 AS trigger guard, but he's willing to rework the mold to make it fit. I really like the fact that with the MaxTuck you can interchange the scabbards to fit different guns. They have a 2 week money back satisfaction guarantee and a lifetime warranty, and Tony offered a discount for the trouble, so it seems worth it try.

I placed an order this morning. I'll post a review when I get it in case others are interested. Still, that holster won't cover all the carry scenarios. I'll have to look into the belly band as well.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Really? Even with an untucked shirt, the way I carry 99% of the time?
This conversation hasn't been about untucked shirts. The OP specifically asked about tucked, in which case the clips become pretty obvious.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
The "tuckable" part of my SuperTucks is a very small feature, used rarely.

And I highly doubt that anyone, anywhere, is looking for little clips on someone's belt. Nobody cares that much anywhere that doesn't already have metal detectors.
In areas where armed citizens are incredibly rare, the local "authorities" aren't looking for it because they never encounter it (pulling in some idiot criminal with a gat in his pants does not equate to noticing proper carry gear)
In areas where the armed citizen is commonplace, the "authorities" don't care, with the occasional exception of a Dan Harless type idiot on a power trip, and I doubt those overgrown bullies are very good at spotting carry in a proper holster, either.

Seriously, who the hell is looking for little 1" wide clips on belt-lines so carefully that they will spot it on a matching belt? Maybe if carrying makes you paranoid and shifty you might garner a bit of extra attention, but if you walk around like you're not to be questioned, you just don't get questioned.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Being in CA. I probly wont get too many chances to carry unless i can somehow get approved for a ccw.. But im just curious how comfortable are these holsters.? This one and the crossbreed seem like they would be uncomfortable while sitting especialy...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Seriously, who the hell is looking for little 1" wide clips on belt-lines so carefully that they will spot it on a matching belt? Maybe if carrying makes you paranoid and shifty you might garner a bit of extra attention, but if you walk around like you're not to be questioned, you just don't get questioned.
Let's watch the language please.

I appreciate your comments, and I believe I addressed your point of view in my original post. I maintain that the clips are visible to those who might be lookiing.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The "tuckable" part of my SuperTucks is a very small feature, used rarely.

And I highly doubt that anyone, anywhere, is looking for little clips on someone's belt. Nobody cares that much anywhere that doesn't already have metal detectors.

I don't understand what you're getting all riled up about. The fact that the tuckable feature is something that you rarely use has no bearing on the OP's question, since he's looking for a tuckable holster with the intention of tucking his shirt in over it.

Apparently, since you're arguing the point, you missed where Chip said
If you're just going for everyday concealment from the general public, then that is probably fine.
On a matching belt and maybe even on one that doesn't match, odds are people aren't going to notice. Even if you OC, fewer people notice than most would think; people are far too wrapped up in their own world to be observant of other people and what they're doing.

If people don't care about cutting you off or blocking the aisle or letting their obnoxious children run around a store, odds are they're too self absorbed to notice you're carrying a gun.

Regardless, none of that has anything to do with the OP's question.

Being in CA. I probly wont get too many chances to carry unless i can somehow get approved for a ccw.. But im just curious how comfortable are these holsters.? This one and the crossbreed seem like they would be uncomfortable while sitting especialy...
You wouldn't think they would be comfortable, but they really are. They take a little getting used to, but once you do, there's nothing to it.

If you do get lucky enough to get a CCW or move somewhere that's not so difficult, there are a few things that will help. With any IWB holster, you have to dress around it, meaning you may need bigger pants and a longer belt. You may not, depending on how you normally dress.

You can carry a full size P99 in a Supertuck with no problem. I carried a Glock 23, which is roughly the same size, in one and was able to conceal it with just a dark blue t-shirt. Baggy shirts, dark colors and patterns all make it easier to conceal, whether you're wearing an IWB or OWB. Also, either way, a good belt helps. 5.11 Tactical makes some nice leather belts that are double layered and have a stiffener between the layers that really help support the weight of the gun. There are a lot of other good belts out there, but I chose the 5.11 because of the look and the price. I found some good deals on them on eBay of all places.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Being in CA. I probly wont get too many chances to carry unless i can somehow get approved for a ccw ...
I thought that only LEOs and movie stars and ex-governors could obtain carry licenses in California. Is a change in the wind, perhaps?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I thought that only LEOs and movie stars and ex-governors could obtain carry licenses in California. Is a change in the wind, perhaps?
There's something in the wind out there...did you read about the babysitter law they're trying to pass? :eek:

I'm surprised that they come out ahead of IL as having a "provision" for carry...if you can really call it that...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think you need to have a very good reason to carry in Cali. And that is left up to the local sheriffs dept. I havent really looked into it. But, i've heard that the sheriff in my co. Approves them more easily than others. So, we'll see.. I dont really have a need to carry.. But it would be nice to have the option to

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you need to have a very good reason to carry in Cali. And that is left up to the local sheriffs dept. I havent really looked into it. But, i've heard that the sheriff in my co. Approves them more easily than others. So, we'll see.. I dont really have a need to carry.. But it would be nice to have the option to
It shouldn't be as subjective as the whim of the local Sheriff. I feel lucky that my state is a "shall issue" state. As long as your record is clean, you apply, pay the fees, submit your fingerprints, you get your carry license. You can carry open or concealed with it. The process took about 2 weeks to get mine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts