Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm finally getting around fully examining my .32 PPK PDM and I've noticed it has an issue with the heel magazine release. It refuses to budge. At first, I thought it was frozen from age. I took the grip off to take a look and the mechanism operates freely. When I was putting the grip back on, I noticed the grip interferes with the movement of the release. I tried to adjust the placement of the grip slightly to allow the release to move freely, but the grip is determined to sit back where it was.

Has anyone ever fooled with a PPK that has a heel release? Any advice?

With the rarity of this particular PPK, I'm not planning on shooting it, but I'd still like to have it in working order.

Edit - Added pics

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
The grip you have is for a side mounted release button. The PPK with heel release had a special grip, looks like the standard grip but has a relief for the mag release.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's impossible to tell from my photo, but the grip does have the notch for the release. For some reason, the release latch is protruding over the edge and causing it to catch on the grip.

When I get time this weekend, I'll disassemble it again and try to take better photos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I tried tinkering again and wound up with the same results. It’s definitely the correct grip. It has the notch as it should, but it doesn’t want to line up properly when the screw is back in place. I don’t see any visible warping of either the frame or grip. The release operates properly until the grip screw is back in place. Then the grip butts up against the release and won’t allow it to move.

At this point, I may take it in to a local gunsmith to see what they have to say about it.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Either the release itself is incorrectly installed or the grip has shrunk with age. Shrinkage is a common and serious problem with the plastic used in early Walther grips.

A further possibility is that, although the grip appears to be notched for the release, it is not the factory original and was incorrectly modified from a side release grip.

M

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The grip is most definitely the original. It’s not just a cut-out for the release, but is structurally molded around the cut-out. There’s no way I’m going to start grinding on it.

From the few good pictures I’ve been able to find on the web, it looks like the release catch is possibly rotating too far forward. It has a teardrop shape. It looks like the rear of the teardrop is supposed to sit underneath the rim of the grip. Mine pops up and wedges itself flush with the grip, preventing all movement.

As a quick and dirty test, I installed an extremely thin shim between the release and the frame. It prevents the release from moving all the way forward, if only by a tiny fraction of a mm. I replaced the grip and the release now functions. It still has plenty of grip to hold the magazine in place. It’s by no means a permanent solution. I saw no way of adjusting the mechanism itself. I think I’ll still take it in to a gunsmith and get their opinion on it.

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
Better lit photos that are in focus needed. If you remove the grip does the release move, lock and release a magazine properly? 1917

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1917 - yep. The mechanism works properly with the grip removed. It has an issue only when the grip is installed and the retaining screw in place. With the shim in place, the rear of the button remains under the rim of the grip and allows the mechanism to operate properly.

I tried to take some photos as I was working with it, but all I have is my cell phone and the photos were too useless to upload. Might disassemble it again when I’m able to lay hands on my actual camera.

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
If you remove the release can you see any out of place wear to any portion of the frame, release or screw/hole that would allow the part to not sit properly. Usually the clues are there if you look closely and understand how the part is supposed to work. 1917

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, but I’m way up in Huntsville. I found a couple of good closeup pics on the web and they all showed the rear of the teardrop release sitting below the surface of the grip. Mine pops up and fits flush with the grip, which won’t allow movement.

I’ll do another tear down tonight if I get time and try to take some pics. I didn’t see any way to adjust the mechanism, but I’m not exactly a gunsmith.

·
Registered
10,249 Posts
Well, there happens to be an excellent PP gunsmith in your neck of the woods. One of the best in fact. Mike at M&M Gunsmithing. Just north of town. I bet he could set you straight in short order. 1917

1 - 19 of 19 Posts