Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking my P99 this evening with the idea that I will use it for SSP and ESP class competition in IDPA. I am currently competing CDP, but I wanted to 4-gun qualify before I got moved up a rank, and I also thought that I would probably do much better shooting a 9mm as opposed to my .45.

I looked at tons of firearms before I settled on the P99; I didn't like the feel of the Glock 34; though I liked the feel of the CZ75, I didn't like the idea of having to manually deckock it (sweaty palms and all during the summer time); the grip of the HK was way too big for my hand, and the XD is an ESP only gun. I also just really liked the feel of the P99 compared to the other, and I rented or borrowed each model and put at least 50 rounds down range with it - I was sold on the P99 by my second mag.

However, I'm getting loads of guff from the guys at my local IDPA club for my choice (and I haven't even picked it up yet); they say that no one shoots IDPA with a P99; they're also saying it's exactly the same as the SW99, which they consider to be of inferior quality, and that Walther is owned by SW. I've done my research and I know that there are differences between the SW99 and the P99 (I've shot and held both of them as well), I also know that it is untrue that SW owns Walther - they run WaltherAmerica because they are Walther's US importer. I'm used to getting a bunch of flack from these guys because I am the only woman on the range, and I know there have got to be more folks out there using the P99 for IDPA.

If you do, please speak up so I know I am not the only one.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I use a P99 QA and have qualified as Expert with it. I need to shoot a little more to get to Master.

You are correct on all accounts. Its too bad that some people just quote gunshop drivel, instead of researching the facts for themselves.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is my 1st year shooting ISPC so what I say may not count for much. I shoot with a Walther P99 in 9mm and CZ 75D Compact 9mm. I think that I shoot better with the P99. I think that you will be quick and accurate with it. You made a good choice. Please post and let us know how you do at your next competition.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't do IPSC or IDPA. I don't hang out in gunshops and I don't play what-if games. I carry a P99 off duity because it is more comfortable and more accurate than my Glocks, doesn't need to be cocked and locked like my Colts, isn't as heavy as my H-Ks, and is more reliable than my S&Ws. I'm stuck with my Glock at work, but my Walther is with me the other 12 hours of the day.

How many of these "master combat shooters" have ever fired a shot in anger or been shot at [with real bullets - not paintballs?] My first shooting was with a PPK/S and it worked just fine.

You can follow the crowd and buy what everyone else thinks is "hot", or you can carry what works and will help you win - whether it is in a game or for real on the street. Walther is the real deal and was being used in real wars when Gaston Glock and Mssrs. Heckler and Koch were children.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts