Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Third time to the range with the PPS M2. This time I put abut 300 rounds through it, and discovered that the trigger guard really makes the side of my trigger sore, where it touches the left top edge of the trigger guard. This got so bad after a couple boxes it was decidedly unpleasant to shoot and though it took me 3 months to pick this gun and I love the ergonomics, precision, and great shooting, I'm thinking about selling it and finding something else.

Any solutions? Are most single stacks going to do this?

The problem is I have to tilt my finger down from straight out in order to wrap it around the trigger. This downward tilting wrap continues with the right end of my trigger finger jammed into the trigger guard. My LC9s does not do this, but is not nearly the gun the Walther is. The right side of my trigger finger, next to the fingernail, is still sore this morning.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You put 300 rounds through it in one session? That may be the issue. I've never run more than 100 or so at a time in mine. Never had an issue with my finger hurting either. But we all are different. With a single stack gun like this designed for carry I wouldn't worry about it unless you just can't finger it. LOL

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a HK P30L I have the same problem on. It's a known problem in there design
some engineers idea to add a trench to the inside lower section of trigger guard to rub skin off your finger.I found there are a few gun smiths that will remove and smooth out area to
eliminate this inconvenience

·
Registered
221 Posts
I typically do 200 rounds thru my pps m2 each session and have no issues.

I’m curious that you say you “wrap your finger around “ the trigger?

I don’t curl or wrap the tip of my finger around the trigger... you should be “pressing” the trigger with movement coming from your first knuckle, not your finger tip... no part of my finger is coming in contact with the guard or frame. And I have fat fingers. Lol.

I’m guessing it’s your technique and not the firearm.

Practice steady trigger pulls with an unloaded firearm. It will improve your shooting and should stop your finger from rubbing anything. Unless you meant the actual trigger causing the discomfort

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a HK P30L I have the same problem on. It's a known problem in there design
some engineers idea to add a trench to the inside lower section of trigger guard to rub skin off your finger.I found there are a few gun smiths that will remove and smooth out area to
eliminate this inconvenience

How'd you eliminate it, did you sell it? Or find a solution? Not sure if your message fired off before you were done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You put 300 rounds through it in one session? That may be the issue. I've never run more than 100 or so at a time in mine. Never had an issue with my finger hurting either. But we all are different. With a single stack gun like this designed for carry I wouldn't worry about it unless you just can't finger it. LOL

Well, I really like to shoot, and I want to master the gun before I try concealed carry. Never toted a gun around before and I want to be totally confident with it. Going to try moleskin during practice. Seems like that should stop the pain. If so, I'll keep the Walther.

The worst part was loading those 3 magazines over and over and over. That was painful too. Gotta get a lula.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I typically do 200 rounds thru my pps m2 each session and have no issues.

I’m curious that you say you “wrap your finger around “ the trigger?

I don’t curl or wrap the tip of my finger around the trigger... you should be “pressing” the trigger with movement coming from your first knuckle, not your finger tip... no part of my finger is coming in contact with the guard or frame. And I have fat fingers. Lol.

I’m guessing it’s your technique and not the firearm.

Practice steady trigger pulls with an unloaded firearm. It will improve your shooting and should stop your finger from rubbing anything. Unless you meant the actual trigger causing the discomfort
You are right, I should not have said wrap around. I press the trigger with the first part of my finger in the pad of that part. But as I pull the trigger rearward, that part of my finger doesn't stay pointing to my left, it ends up pointing to my left and backwards. At that point it kinda feels like it's "wrapped around" the trigger, and that is when it rubs the guard on the left edge.

The problem is that because I have to point downward to get my finger on the trigger, the last section of my finger is also pointed downward. When I pull the trigger, this part is still pointing downward, and hits the guard as I pull back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll report back after I go out again.

For one thing I will put moleskin around the part of my finger rubbing the guard.

Second, I downloaded profile pictures of the PPS M2, Shield, XDS, LC9s, and P365. If you look at the curve of the grip under the beavertail, and from the most forward part of the curve draw a line straight forward, it runs along the top of the trigger opening on the PPS, Shield, and XDS. I bet all three will have the same sore finger problem for me. On the LC9s there isn't much curve, but still, you can tell where your thumb-to-hand webbing would be, if you draw a line forward from there, it goes through the trigger about a third of the way from the top of the trigger. On the P365 the line from the curve goes through the middle of the trigger. I have an EC9s and I don't have to point my finger down to pull the trigger noticeably. On the P365 I don't expect I will have to at all. The bore height on the P365 is low, and there isn't much frame between the slide and top of the trigger. One reviewer on Youtube said it was hard not to press the slide release because of this. Don't know, but when we have P365s around here I'll be eager to try one, to see if it solves the finger against the guard rubbing.

I should mention that my hands are large (XX gloves), and my fingers are thick or fleshy. A person with thinner fingers may not have the rubbing trigger finger at all.

·
Registered
221 Posts
With that movement of your trigger finger are you pulling your shots left or right? I can’t imagine staying on target if your finger is moving that much each pull.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With that movement of your trigger finger are you pulling your shots left or right? I can’t imagine staying on target if your finger is moving that much each pull.

Definitely pulling left. Maybe I need to spend some more time and care with my trigger pull technique.

I'm drying firing right now with moleskin on my finger, it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Third time to the range with the PPS M2. This time I put abut 300 rounds through it, and discovered that the trigger guard really makes the side of my trigger sore, where it touches the left top edge of the trigger guard. This got so bad after a couple boxes it was decidedly unpleasant to shoot and though it took me 3 months to pick this gun and I love the ergonomics, precision, and great shooting, I'm thinking about selling it and finding something else.

Any solutions? Are most single stacks going to do this?

The problem is I have to tilt my finger down from straight out in order to wrap it around the trigger. This downward tilting wrap continues with the right end of my trigger finger jammed into the trigger guard. My LC9s does not do this, but is not nearly the gun the Walther is. The right side of my trigger finger, next to the fingernail, is still sore this morning.
Left Top? Are you talking about the area next to the trigger on the left side? If so I took a dremel and gently removed a little plastic. There wasn't any space between the trigger and the guard. It's barely visible but no more pinch or wear on finger.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ok so if your pushing your trigger finger to the left (assuming you are right handed) and getting the trigger in towards the crease of your finger that’s causing the pistol to move left also... work on keeping your finger straight and bend at the 1st knuckle. That will certainly improve your shot placement and hopefully stop that rubbing on your finger.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My PPS M1 in 40sw was killing the side my middle finger. It was starting to give me blister. It was probably from the jolt of the 40 round. I only say that because my PPS M2 did not exhibit the same issue.

I Dremeled off the sharp edge on the trigger guard and now I can shoot it all day without any pain. No way I was going to sell it, I like it too much.
If you want to see pics, just left me know.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Left Top? Are you talking about the area next to the trigger on the left side? If so I took a dremel and gently removed a little plastic. There wasn't any space between the trigger and the guard. It's barely visible but no more pinch or wear on finger.

Thanks, I wondered if that might work. I feel like I am still in the process of finding the right carry gun. If I've decided I like it in every other way I may decide to alter it at the trigger guard. Any chance you could shoot a pic of that mod to me if I PM you my email address?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My PPS M1 in 40sw was killing the side my middle finger. It was starting to give me blister. It was probably from the jolt of the 40 round. I only say that because my PPS M2 did not exhibit the same issue.

I Dremeled off the sharp edge on the trigger guard and now I can shoot it all day without any pain. No way I was going to sell it, I like it too much.

Oh you already offered pic, thank you!

I'll PM you my info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so if your pushing your trigger finger to the left (assuming you are right handed) and getting the trigger in towards the crease of your finger that’s causing the pistol to move left also... work on keeping your finger straight and bend at the 1st knuckle. That will certainly improve your shot placement and hopefully stop that rubbing on your finger.

Thanks. I'm going out in the morning and will think about that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oh you already offered pic, thank you!
I'll PM you my info.
I read over your thread again and need to correct myself, but my issue was the trigger guard was digging into the side of my index finger on my support hand.
The PPS M1 has a different trigger guard design because it’s a paddle magazine release opposed to the PPS M2 that is a push button setup.

If you still want the pics let me know, I have your contact info. I just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
234 Posts

I had this problem with my M1 .40 and did EXACTLY the same thing. Fixed it. I also would get a blister from that trigger insert. I just shot less.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read over your thread again and need to correct myself, but my issue was the trigger guard was digging into the side of my index finger on my support hand.
The PPS M1 has a different trigger guard design because it’s a paddle magazine release opposed to the PPS M2 that is a push button setup.

If you still want the pics let me know, I have your contact info. I just wanted to make sure.

Sounds like you are not modifying it where it's getting me. I've got 300 rounds again and am going in the early morning to start putting them all through. I'm going to put moleskin on the finger where it got sore, and concentrate on shooting with a more consistent pull with the pad of my finger straight back, and see how that goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think I understand what you are saying. My PPS feels a little awkward too. So much so that it's not a natural grip to get up under the slide. I've never had this problem with any other gun, single or double stack. If I get up under the slide I do feel that I have to reach down to place my finger on the trigger and my middle finger feels more pressure from the trigger guard than usual. But, having said all that, I still like the PPS better than the G43, Shield, or XDS which I've either owned or tried. My suggestion would be to practice more often but not put as many rounds through the PPS at one time. If it still bothers you, it might not be the gun for you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts