Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a PP Ultra?? I now have two. Not a .380, not a 9mm kurtz.
Fires the ultra round. All the punch of a 9mm.
I'm 63 and I have only seen two others in my life.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Just guessing you meant a PP Super in 9 Ultra caliber. I have a police surplus Super. A fantastic gun and one of the most overlooked Walthers. I shot a fellow forum member's Super and was shopping for one as soon as I got home. There were not a lot made and 9mm Ultra ammo was very hard to come by. That helped to keep it under the radar. Thankfully the ammo situation has ended.

·
Super Moderator
7,172 Posts
P88, interesting link.
Puffy, I passed on one years ago, because of the ammo issue. Jimbo is right; ammo is to be had online.
The Ultra falls neatly between the .380 and the 9, and is the upper limit of a blowback gun with a rational sized slide (it ain't a HiPoint).
Not sure if Ultra interchanges for reloading with the other 9s.
Moon

·
Registered
465 Posts
Fires the ultra round. All the punch of a 9mm.
That last bit is somewhat of an overstatement. While the 9mm Ultra/Police loads had higher velocities/energy than the 9mm kurz, the caliber still fell short of the standard 9mm Para. It was no more than an interim solution before German police in general went to full-power 9mm pistols. Ergonomically, however, I find the PP Super to be the best pre-polymer Walther; the grip and balance are perfect.

Commercial production of the PP Super was small (with a smaller-yet batch in 9mm kurz), and the short-lived police adoption mainly in Bavaria and a few other states totaled somewhere around 10,000 plus/minus (Dieter Marschall’s book has the totals if someone wants to check; I can’t get to my copy right now). Most of those ended up on the US market. There are usually some on offer on Gunbroker; right now there are seven including a 9mm kurz variant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ammo was a bit tough in the 90's but no longer. I love this pistol, great feel and balance.
It's my daily carry as my 1911's are a bit too bulky as is my Sig. It disappears on me with a tiny print if any.
Mags are hard to find and when you do it about $100+. Nevertheless it's my favorite Walther, the other, my P-38 modded.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
There are lots of old threads, information, and photos of the PP Super on this forum. It is an underrated, robust Walther that is well worth owning. I plan to shoot one in each caliber this coming Saturday ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Walther PP Super Cal. 9mmx18 Serial # 10701 I purchased it at a Gun Show in Mobile AL about 3 years ago. At the time I had no idea how difficult it would be to find the correct ammo: I learned that Fiocchi is the only ammo manufacturer at the present time that makes a run of this special ammo once a year. Once I found several sources i've stocked up and have enjoyed shooting it. After firing a number of rounds, the extractor extracted itself and after 3 months with a local gunsmith he was not able to locate the appropriate parts to install. In desperation I placed a call to the stateside Walther company and when I explained the gun and the problem I was having I was immediately informed that I should contact Earl's Repair Service, Inc in Pulaski-Giles Turnpike, Pearisburg, VA 24134 Phone: 540-921-0184. I called and was immediately advised that they had the parts and would send them to me at a very fair price, or I could send them the slide and they would insert the parts and return it to me at a very far price, $148 total which included $25 labor and 18 shipping. I sent it to them, and they fixed it and returned it in less than 2 weeks. They advised me that they carry a complete line of parts for just about every firearm that Walther has ever made. I've fired approximately 200 rounds since and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
491 Posts
This one is one currently for sale near me, asking price is the equivalent of $490:

There are a few others on offer from other sources, ranging in price up to $650. But “near me” would be a long way from many of the readers of this forum (I live in Europe).

SIG Sauer's answer to the Walther PP/PPK were the models P 230 and P 232, the first of which was chambered in this calibre (also referred to as 9mm Police). Both models were, for a while, popular with some European police officers who had to carry a concealed weapon. They have been abandoned in favour of 9mm sub-compacts and are to be found frequently on the second-hand market.

I was once tempted by a P 230 in perfect condition, but the availability of ammunition put me off. Hirtenberger have recently ceased manufacturing munition, leaving Fiocchi as the only (to my information) manufacturer still producing 9 x 18 Ultra/Police. Not even Sellier & Bellot make it, and they seem to produce just about every conceivable type of small-arms ammo.

Balor

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I saw a VERY nice commercial recently for under $600 which I would have insta bought if I wasn't so gun poor this month. If I could bring myself to sell something I would buy it in an instant. In my mind the Super is a real bargain and a no brainer for any Walther fan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
...There were not a lot made and 9mm Ultra ammo was very hard to come by...
And that is wonderful.
All the better, such rare artifacts are preserved. ;-)

The Walther PP automation design was originally designed for a relatively weak .32 cartridge.
The use of a more powerful cartridge causes the rollback speed of the slide is much higher than the calculated one.
This leads to strong impacts at the end points that break the parts.
Problems arose immediately after applying cartridge 9 short.
They tried to fight this, but could not radically fix it. Many pistols break after about 5-7 K-shots.

A similar mountain of problems was when creating a Makarov pistol (PM).
Slides burst, safes flew away, other details broke ... The rest ...

Walther PP-Super was originally a stillborn model.
Interesting, pretty, but it's not a service weapon.

·
Super Moderator
7,172 Posts
Geo' was kind enough to bird dog me to an Ultra on Gunbroker. Funds are a little tight, and I didn't really want to start dealing with another caliber.
Unhappily, you can't get them all. There has been an embarrassment of really nice Beretta 81s in .32, and I should have gotten one of them as well.
I'm reaching that stage in life where my stuff owns me. :eek:
Moon

Reactions: Jimbo80

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I own an ultra-calibred PP-Super. It's one of my few guns with a calibre that is only found once in my collection. When I saw a PP-Super for the first time, my first thought was how terribly unaesthetic this weapon looks. The grip is somehow much too big and the various components don't really want to fit optically together.

At some time I had the opportunity to buy a PP-Super and so I did finally. I would have preferred to buy one in .380 ACP, but I have never seen such a one in my region. From time to time I take it in my hand again and and every time I do that, I notice how much too big the grip is. We'll never be best friends.

Although in Switzerland the calibre 9mm Ultra was used by many police departments including the Zurich city police, today this calibre is obsolete, and the ammunition is quite rare. For this reason, many former police issued SIG Sauer P230 pistols remain on the shelves for a long time despite their cheap prices. Who knows, maybe one day I'll buy such a paperweight as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
PP Super normally eats .380 cartridges.
There are misfires due to the non-capture of the cartridge by the extractor, but it suits the gallery.

PS It is interesting to compare the weight of the PP(K) and PP-Super slides. Does anyone have such an opportunity?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have one of the PP supers in the 9x18 Ultra/Police round. Found both Fiocchi and Precision Cartridge in Hobart Indiana makes the round. I also reload the round. I carry the gun with two spare mags. I don't carry my reloads for defensive carry

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
CHECK WITH YOUR STATE LAWS B4 USING PP ULTRA RELOADS FOR CCW

I live in Nevada. During the CCW class, (Concealed Carry Weapon), the instructor told us NOT to use reloads when you concealed carry as it is against Nevada Revised Statutes. This advice is not just for PP Ultra 9x18 reloads, it is for all reloads used in a concealed carry gun.

Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts