Walther Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
its easy and quick to if you have some metal shaping expereince. I have done it on numerous PPK s and TPHs to make the factory lines more correct.
the Fort Smith "fangs" show in in your picture do indeed look atrocius
Have any pics of the ones you have done?

Kind of moot now as I found a German made one right after I started this thread. I am waiting for the state to approve my permits (yes in my state you have to get a separate permit for EACH pistol you buy).

I have done tons of steel, aluminum & copper metal stuff since I was a kid. I am no stranger to a vise & a mill bastard :) . Swiss needle files are your friend :).

My Dad taught me how to do it. Heck even in his 80s he was still doing stuff till the COPD did him in this past Christmas.

·
Super Moderator
7,692 Posts
Not unusual for modern guns to not be quite as finely finished as we might desire. With the stainless ones, it's not a big deal to finish the job. Took some sharp spots off a brandy new Colt.
jwp, spot on about jewelers files; crocus cloth as well. Less is more; work slowly.
Moon

Reactions: jwphobby

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Not unusual for modern guns to not be quite as finely finished as we might desire. With the stainless ones, it's not a big deal to finish the job. Took some sharp spots off a brandy new Colt.
jwp, spot on about jewelers files; crocus cloth as well. Less is more; work slowly.
Moon
Agreed about the finishing. Everything today is done on a CNC machine with minimal to no handwork. Cant blame them, its about cost. Blued guns are hard to find unless you buy old. I appreciate the old style finishing. If you want that today, you are going to pay.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Remember Ft. Smith PPKs have German-made slides and American-made everything else, so while both are very precise the design was clearly set up so that the two would always mesh, not to make a soft cuddly front end.

For my part I don't mess with the muzzle of my Ft. Smith PPK and so it's a non-issue.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts