Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the new Ft. Smith PPK's (been wanting a PPK forever). I was wondering if anyone had reshaped or removed the front fangs?

From my observation it doesnt look that hard to do. I am thinking you could file it down to look like a Ranger later model or WW2 era PPKs.

I have tons of metal file work experience. Take the slide, clamp it in a vice and just file it down. Dont even need a dremel, just some files (Nicholson would work nicely).

Anyone done it?

Super Moderator
While it can be done, it is more difficult than it looks. Some posters here have created things that fell short of being graceful. Go slowly.
Not to say that gently rounding the edges of stainless guns isn't a good idea.
Moon

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While it can be done, it is more difficult than it looks. Some posters here have created things that fell short of being graceful. Go slowly.
Not to say that gently rounding the edges of stainless guns isn't a good idea.
Moon
Understood.

I am talking about the muzzle end of the gun and not the tang.

Registered
I鈥檝e had no issues with the front of the gun, but as the other posters mentioned I did have a problem of the tang being so sharp that it drew blood. Really made shooting the gun unpleasant. I took it upon myself to very carefully use a superfine sanding pad with oil to slightly take the edge off the tang, working very slowly as not to change the contour of the gun. I built models for years, so I had the skill to be able to accomplish this without it looking like Bubba did it. A little bit goes a long way, you don鈥檛 need to remove much steel to make it stop cutting your hand. Walther should have done this to begin with IMHO.

Registered
Ppk
I have read all the comments on this thread and I still don't know what a fang is on the PP-guns and I don't recognize how you'd come in contact with them in a way to make it uncomforable.

Administrator
I have read all the comments on this thread and I still don't know what a fang is on the PP-guns and I don't recognize how you'd come in contact with them in a way to make it uncomforable.
I'll admit I'm struggling with that myself.

If it is purely an atheistic thing to the OP, I'd say "It's your gun. Do what you want with it."

Registered
I鈥檝e got a S&W PPK and bought it at a gun show. The tang is not a problem in regards to cuts or rear fangs if held properly. Perhaps someone with really beefy hands could have an issue. As far as the front 鈥渇angs鈥 mine are indeed sharp but after 5+ years have never been an issue.

Premium Member
Personally, I'd leave it alone. It seems like it would be one hell of a lot of work just to properly grind down those protrusions. If this particular PPK is not to your liking, I would suggest passing on this one and buy yourself a "fangless" model.

Reactions: Redcat94

Registered
its easy and quick to if you have some metal shaping expereince. I have done it on numerous PPK s and TPHs to make the factory lines more correct.
the Fort Smith "fangs" show in in your picture do indeed look atrocius

Reactions: halfmoonclip
1 - 20 of 25 Posts