Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I recently applied for a CCW and at the moment the only pistol I have small enough to carry is my p22. I plan to get a compact 9mm soon but until I have the cash I thought about carrying the p22. My question is if anyone has done this what kind of holster do you use? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
A .22 caliber pistol should be considered for concealed carry only as a last resort. The best you can say is that it's better than nothing (though certainly better than the .45 auto you left in your desk drawer at home). But if you are going to carry a .22 for self-defense, you'd best carry one that works every time out of the box.

The long history of the P22 has been something less than reliable, ala Rickk1's post. Whole legions of threads and notes, on this forum and a variety of others (Rimfire Central comes to mind), attest to the gun's spotty performance. If your only self-defense choice is a .22, it would be best to opt for a gun that will work without fail, time after time ... and a variety of revolvers spring to mind. The P22 does not. It's a fun plinker for the range. But I wouldn't trust my life to a P22 under any circumstances.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Yes I understand that a .22 is not the best option for carry but it is better than nothing. Especially since in my understanding most encounters that require a concealed weapon to come out are diffused when the gun is shown, and dont actually require firing. But like I said, as soon as I've got the extra money I plan to get a more fitting carry weapon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My opinion is that you should carry what you can shoot accurately. I'd rather have a couple of well placed shots, than to empty the magazine and not bring the BG (Bad Guy) down...

If you are really proficent with a .22 handgun and have trouble staying on target with a big gun, you may want to stick with the .22. There has been a heck of a lot of discussion about the effectiveness of different calibers, but accuracy wins every time in my book...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does Size Matter?

The P22 ammo is so cheap, and the recoil like a BB gun, that you should be able to put a full clip of HP in a BG shiny forehead at 20 ft in about 3 sec. If that doesn't stop someone I don't know what would? I prefer 9mm 99C for SD and find it easy to handle, and be accurate even at 35-50ft. I find it amusing though, that the people at the range using elephant calibre guns are practicing on targets 10 ft away and still lucky to hit target! As the old adage goes, it ain't the size but how well you use it!!!!!!!!!!! Have fun with your P22 until you get a P99C!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
You've got to be kidding. CC in a .22LR? No way would I consider that. Unless you have a well placed shot in a vital area, a 22 would only just make the BG mad. If you're going to place a shot, I'd recommend a .380 at the minimum, and more preferably a .357 magnum revolver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tend to agree. I carry a Sig p239-SAS chambered in 357 Sig, and can shoot it well enough to do some damage. Most people SHOULD be able to handle the smaller calibers, but someone can only stay on the paper with a .22LR then that going to have to do...

I've never researched this, but I've got think there are many shots with a .22LR handgun that will stop a BG (Bad Guy). Slow 'em down with one in their kneecap, and then put one in the forehead. That might do the trick. I really don't know if a "center-mass" shot would work. If you missed the sternum and ribs you might score one, but I can't tell you what would happen if you hit bone...

Someone with a lot more 'sperience is going to have to jump in on this one. What I'm saying is that you might be able to conceal carry with a .22LR handgun, but you had better know exactly what your doing. Would I suggest that they should try to get acustom to a bigger gun, heck yeah...

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Rather than run through all of the age-old arguments about one caliber v. another caliber here, let's just keep this in mind: You want a gun for self-defense that is reliable every single time you pull the trigger, period. The P22 has had a long history of problems, up to and including catastrophic failure of key mechanical parts that are vital to its operation. If you want to carry a .22 for self-defense, be my guest. I would only urge you to make sure that your .22 of choice is going to go bang every time it's fired -- and the P22, sadly, does not have that kind of track record.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good Point!

I know there was some reason I carry a Sig...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I appreciate all the "carry something bigger than a .22" stuff but heres the point: I will soon be able to carry and the only thing I have to carry at the moment is the P22. As soon as I have the extra money I'm going to get a compact pistol in 9mm at least. I have a few in mind but at the moment I dont have the cash. Until then its either carry the P22 or nothing!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's better than a sling-shot or a spit-ball, but seriously if you carry a .22LR I would do some research. I would "Google" something like "Defensive Tactics with a .22LR handgun," or something like that. With my 357 Sig I would go right for "center mass," but your tactics may differ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like I said, I would be hoping that just the sight of the gun would diffuse any situation. If that didnt work a BG would have to be pretty close for me to open fire and I think I could hit something vital.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just scanned through this post, but one other thing you may consider. In the state that I live in you cant even carry a .22. In Oklahoma we have Derringer, Revolver, and Auto class and they have to be a center fire cartridges. You may want to check this out in your area before you commit to a class.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts