Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The PPQ 4” is my first pistol. I did a lot of research before purchasing. Which same sized pistol to you like more and why? I was looking at the HK VP9 but it seems to be the same gun for a steeper price and I don’t think it looks as good.

·
Registered
96 Posts
None here. I was very methodical about my initial purchases, then started buying more on impulse. Have a few M&Ps, Sigs, Rugers,1911s, Beretta, 3 PPQs (1x4", 2x5") and a VP9. Some have hammers, some are DA/SA, some SAO, some are strikers, one is a revolver. Calibers include 22LR, 9mm, .38 Spc, .357 mag, .45 ACP. I like a mix.

As for you, what's the purpose for your PPQ? Does a VP9 fill some gap? One gun is good, two are better. Don't get me wrong, the VP9 is pretty outstanding, but so are PPQs. You might look at one of the 5" PPQs. Takes the same mags, controls are the same (assuming both are either M1 or M2),

However, none of them are any good without ammo. You may wish to focus on buying decent range and self defense ammo. Then get some range time to get familiar and comfortable with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a P99 9mm, a P99sc 9mm, a sw99 9mm and a 40cal. I just picked up a PPQ 4" 9mm. Love them all. I have put Talon grips on all of them for improved handling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None here. I was very methodical about my initial purchases, then started buying more on impulse. Have a few M&Ps, Sigs, Rugers,1911s, Beretta, 3 PPQs (1x4", 2x5") and a VP9. Some have hammers, some are DA/SA, some SAO, some are strikers, one is a revolver. Calibers include 22LR, 9mm, .38 Spc, .357 mag, .45 ACP. I like a mix.

As for you, what's the purpose for your PPQ? Does a VP9 fill some gap? One gun is good, two are better. Don't get me wrong, the VP9 is pretty outstanding, but so are PPQs. You might look at one of the 5" PPQs. Takes the same mags, controls are the same (assuming both are either M1 or M2),

However, none of them are any good without ammo. You may wish to focus on buying decent range and self defense ammo. Then get some range time to get familiar and comfortable with it.
Well done! This will be mostly for home defense and plinking. I’ll carry it until I get something smaller, looking at P365 or hellcat. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well done! This will be mostly for home defense and plinking. I’ll carry it until I get something smaller, looking at P365 or hellcat. Thanks for the info.
Also I picked up some cheap P99 mags from Bud’s and yes, always looking for more ammo.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Only remorse here is that I need a full size P99 9mm to go with my 3 PPQs and my P99c.

Oh, and I want the PPQ 45 to come with paddles.

and I need the sleeve thingy for my P99c to use full size mags.

That‘s it for now....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only remorse here is that I need a full size P99 9mm to go with my 3 PPQs and my P99c.

Oh, and I want the PPQ 45 to come with paddles.

and I need the sleeve thingy for my P99c to use full size mags.

That‘s it for now....
Haha, very nice!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I was looking at the HK VP9 but it seems to be the same gun for a steeper price and I don’t think it looks as good.
I've never regreted any Walther purchase. I own a PPQ and have shot a rental VP9. Both pistols are very close in ergonomics but I prefer the Walther.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did not like the HK VP9, P30s or the Walther PPS m2 because of finger pinch. Never got pinched with the PPQ or the P99's.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I nolonger get buyers remorse. Maybe in the early days I'd wonder if I bought the right gun.

These days the only remorse I get is over guns I sold.

The PPQ is a really good gun. You made a fine choice. It's important to get to the range and shoot it if you can. Practice is much more likely to make you a better shot than a different gun.

·
Registered
293 Posts
^^^ This ^^^

·
Registered
331 Posts
Not going to lie, I had buyers remorse for the Q5 SF PRO at first. I guess all the hype about a PPQ and it’s fantastic trigger convinced me to buy the steel frame. When I compared it the P99, I was pretty disappointed in the factory trigger and the magazine capacity, given the cost of entry.

Once I got the new trigger, the magwell, extended bases, new grips, and extended magazine button from Walther and Earls, my love for the PPQ was restored.

·
Registered
74 Posts
PPQ is a great first pistol. The only better choice is the P99 (which really isn't all that different from the PPQ).

I own the Steel Frame Optic Ready version of the PPQ and it's pretty nice. It has the same trigger as the ~600 dollar PPQ which while basically top of it's class in the sub 1k price range, it becomes a little meh for a 1400 dollar pistol (and that's a painful price considering you still have to mount an optic on it, I went for a Trijicon RMR 2.5 MOA dot)

The Sig P320, HK VP9, S&W M&P 2.0, Beretta APX, Glock19, FNS9 (and maybe the Ruger American) are the only pistols in the same price range as the PPQ that I'd consider. My opinion is that you can certainly get something 'different' but you really can't get something 'better' than the PPQ (without paying at least twice as much).

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'll agree with the folks who said the only regret is over pistols sold.

I sold my PPQ M1, and I do regret it, even though I added a P99c, a couple of PPS, and a PPQ M2 down the road.

Other brands? Well, maybe a little, but from inexpensive to expensive, I've always enjoyed them. I just picked up a Sphinx SDP Sub-Compact from a friend, and that's one I'm actually not sure about. The compact is a fun and accurate gun to shoot, but I feel like the sub doesn't have the same accuracy, and as such, not sure where it fits. Safe queen? Nah. Carry pistol? Nope.

Have to take it out again, and decide what level of fun it is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The one PPQ I have owned was a complete lemon, literally the loosest worst fit/finished pistol I've ever owned. Even the barrel lockup was terrible. You could rattle the barrel around while IN battery and hear it pinging off the slide =(

From what I've read/heard/seen, the one I got was just terribly unlucky/lemon/whatever. Most of the time people are happy with them. I was not and had to take a loss unfortunately.

Plenty happy and satisfied with both of my P99c. Honestly even though it's older to me it's the better choice out of PPQ/p99

1 - 18 of 18 Posts