Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anybody else has one of these well built inexpensive P88 clones. I bought a Thunder 9 ultracompact and was so impressed with it that I bought the fullsize version as well.
This pistol is a very close copy of the P88, my P88 slide actually fits on the T9 UC frame, but is too long obviously.
The main difference is that the Bersas have ambi slide locks and decockers that are two different levers.
I have over 2k rnds through the compact and 1k through the fullsize w/no jams. Very nice triggers as well.
Anybody that wants a P88 style pistol with a much nicer price tag($350) check out the Bersas.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is the Bersa a real clone of the P-88 or it just resembles it? Have you seen the internals of both guns side by side. Maybe the Bersa factory had an agreement with Walther? Anybody knows something about it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
FWIW:

I've owned the Bersa Thunder 9/UC now for over a year, and it is an excellent pistol. ( I paid $305.00 +7% sales tax.)

I'm constantly amazed at the reliability and accuracy of the BT9/UC..  Previously my all time most accurate compact 9 was my Sig P239, and the BT9/UC is absolutely as accurate as the Sig..  

The BT9/UC offers a lifetime warranty, 13+1 rounds of +p, and is very ambi user friendly. (I'm a lefty).

I didn't even know it was a P88 knockoff until after I bought it.

I would love to have a genuine Walther P88 but at the prices they are it's just not gonna happen.

My newly purchased P99c/AC should get here in a day or so, and I'll take it out and shoot it against the Sig and Bersa and compare the accuracy of the three. (for me).

If imitation is the most "sincere form of flattery" then Bersa/Firestorm must have a high opinion of the Walther P88.

I'll tell ya, for those poor folks like myself who love all things Walther, but can't afford the ticket for a "real" P88, the Bersa Thunder 9/UC & full size offer a very nice imitation at a very reasonable price.... Here's my BT9/UC w/CAT Laser.

JMOFO:

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeh I have one. I have never shot it but the trigger feels as good if not better than my p88.

I also like the how the grip is thinner near the top than on the p88.

However I like the controls on the p88 better.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
goyko, I agree I prefer the single control lever on the P88. The grip on the Bersa,though, is much slimmer than the P88.
If you don't want to pay $1000 or more the Bersa is a nice substitute.
My Bersa T9 UC is my current carry pistol with the mag from the FS as a spare.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I really like the Bersas, I had a thunder, and it was totally reliable and accurate. My only problem with them is the "cheesy" roll markings on the slide. They just are not sophisticated enough. I wish they would try to be more like Walthers with their markings, since they are copying Walther's designs anyway. Is it just me, or is this stopping anyone else from buying these otherwise excellent pistols?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
banddr2, not me. I have 3 now, the third being a Firestorm Mini 9 Stainless. I could care less what the roll mark looks like as long as the pistol will shoot and keep shooting.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It looks like the Bersa 380 series is a clone of the PP/PPK series. But the nice thing is, there is a slide stop on the Bersa. Anyone have any experience with the 380 series?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BennyMA @ Dec. 04 2006,3:31)]It looks like the Bersa 380 series is a clone of the PP/PPK series.  But the nice thing is, there is a slide stop on the Bersa.  Anyone have any experience with the 380 series?
Yes they do, unfortunately they have a history of not locking the slide open consistently.  The slide stop on these are cast parts and dont engage aswell as a milled part would.  Other than that the Thunder 380 I had was totally reliable and extremely accurate, and a great trigger pull.  They are slightly bigger, more like a PP, but a tad thicker in the grip and slide. Very easy and comfortable to shoot, more so than the Walthers.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fenrir Wulff @ Dec. 03 2006,9:43)]banddr2, not me. I have 3 now, the third being a Firestorm Mini 9 Stainless. I could care less what the roll mark looks like as long as the pistol will shoot and keep shooting.
You are right of cours, it is just aesthetics for me. I rarely ever see a thunder9 in my local shops, maybe never had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts