Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new M1 Q5 Match and it didn't come with any optic plates. Is this right? I noticed they changed the product number in the last couple months, but can't fathom that they would not include the plates. Just wondering if this is the new normal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent an e-mail to customer service last night, but decided to call today. I had noticed they changed item numbers on the Q-series in the past couple months. Apparently, this is due to Walther NOT including the plates anymore. With the new ones, you get one complimentary plate with a phone call.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm gonna try and get at least 2 put of them. I have a 6moa venom now, but looking at maybe changing over go Holosun, which is a different plate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No mention of it on their website, and as far as I can tell, MSRP hasn't changed either...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had this same concern on a Q4 I just bought when I noticed they changed the model number on their website. I searched for the old model number on the web and found one that came with all 3 plates. I didn’t like the price being the same for with and without plates. I also foresaw me calling to get the plate I needed for an optic and it being out of stock for nine months. A certificate in hand is not as flexible as 3 in the box.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think this is the new norm for their optic-ready pistols. Started hearing about it with the Q4 SF at SHOT Show.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got all 3 plates with mine last August. Unfortunately, none fit the C-More base so I had to order one separate for 65 bucks to fit my FTP Alpha 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did confirm with Walther CS that the new OR models will not ship with plates and you'll have to call to get a free one sent to you. If you order from a distributor, you might get lucky and get the old stock version with the three plates.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can kinda see where they are coming from. As I looked at Q5's, I thought I I would probably use one of the three plates, maybe two over a long period, and likely never need all three. It would be nice if they had a little price relief with the change but I don't know how much cost they actually have in the plates.

I sort of wish they might offer a centerfire like the old SP22 with the full length Picatinny rail. That would work with things like C-More or Ultradot or even scopes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The problem with a pic rail is that it mounts the optic up too high when most guys are looking to get it as close to iron sight height as possible.
I DO think they need to lower the price if they're only going to offer one plate. Since my C-More plate cost about 70 bucks delivered, it seems that 140 or so off the suggested retail of the SF would be fair AND maybe help it to compete with the Sig Legion. Lotsa Legion guys tell me the only reason they bought the Legion over the SF was price.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
......" I searched for the old model number on the web and found one that came with all 3 plates. I didn’t like the price being the same for with and without plates"......

De-contenting. Manufacturers do this to increase profits.

The automotive industry has perfected this activity to true "art" form.
My early production MB W211 has numerous standard/base features that were not available even as a cost adding option in the final few years of production.

It's all about the bottom line.

Reactions: Liggett

·
Registered
49 Posts

It's all about the bottom line.
I understand that, but a better way would be to have available 10 or 15 different plates people might need, and you get the one you want. It is easy to see why they wouldn't ship 15 plates. That adds value to the customer, but lowers Walthers cost / increases profits at that same time. They could even market that as a benefit, rather than secretly taking value away with no benefit. In the long run, if customers don't like this change, they lose market share and that is not good for the bottom line. Just one person's opinion.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I understand that, but a better way would be to have available 10 or 15 different plates people might need, and you get the one you want. It is easy to see why they wouldn't ship 15 plates. That adds value to the customer, but lowers Walthers cost / increases profits at that same time. They could even market that as a benefit, rather than secretly taking value away with no benefit. In the long run, if customers don't like this change, they lose market share and that is not good for the bottom line. Just one person's opinion.

I agree.

Seems like a Umarex marketing group and bean counter committee disagree with our view/opinion though.

Reactions: Liggett

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree.

Seems like a Umarex marketing group and bean counter committee disagree with our view/opinion though.
Not an expert on manufacturing processes, nor, more importantly, am I an actor who plays such an expert.

But...
Those plates are all pumped out by a CNC machine. You're talking maybe a penny in materials coupled with a few minutes of production time. How much are you saving but not putting those in with the gun opposed to having the shooter call, paying someone to take the call, the cost of keeping them in the inventory, as well as the shipping and handling?

Ah, but that's a charge to the manufacturing account vs the customer service account. And it's the clear who won that battle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my Q5 Match yesterday. Was on the LE program. No plates. I was expecting 3. Disappointing.
Gun shot really well today!
So now comes the really painful process or figuring out which red dot to drop money on.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts