Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all, just want to know if you have any good or bad experience using steel casing in the range such as Tulammo 9mm FMJ with your PDP.

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ran 50 rounds through my PDP when it was dirty and no issues. The steel cases expanded the same as brass. I don’t worry as much about the steel cases as I do the bi-metal bullet jackets that usually come with them. They will wear out the barrel more quickly than regular copper jackets.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
How much free time have you got?? Hahah. I have not had great experience with TulAmmo, or any steel case. This is well documented in other threads in this forum, and others for that matter. The lacquer coating on the cases to prevent the rusting is what gets me. Long range sessions heat things up, you add heat to (essentially) cheap nail polish, and you have a gummy chamber waiting to happen.

If you have good luck, by all means, use it. Ammo is ammo is ammo. I just have not had such good luck.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's hard for me to recommend steel case ammo. It generally works 'alright'... most of the time... usually... but when it doesn't it is a headache. I've had cases stick in the chamber and require a clearing/cleaning rod to push them out through the muzzle end. That's no fun.

The other thing about steel case ammo is a lot of ranges (particularly indoors) do not allow the use of steel cased or steel jacketed ammo.

So to review: Steel is low quality ammo that causes increased wear and decreased reliability and the cherry on top is you (practically) can't shoot it unless you're outdoors. Is that worth saving a few bucks on ammo? My assessment... not really.

Of course I didn't always think this way. Back in the day I used to shoot a lot of 9mm Tula Ammo out of my P99c. It was $6.99 for the steelcase vs $9.99/$12.99 for the brass. The price difference was big enough (and I was poor enough) that the steel case was a no brainer, especially because it mostly ran without issues and I had a local range that didn't care if you used it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, what make me asked was a comment from the range manager when I asked if was safe to use as I’ve read concerning higher maintenance… and after answering to his question that I have a Walther PDP he said, “well, if it was a Glock or Sig I would recommend with my eyes closed, they chew anything”. That made my juices flow… 😂

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here is a link to another recent thread on steel-cased ammo. I debated linking to it because there is a lot of arguing about whether the Walther stepped chamber is a true 9mm chamber. There are a lot of opinions on the subject but - in my opinion - if you dig into the arguments, there's not a lot of actual hard data to support the opinion. Sometimes it's someone's single experience or it's something they've heard repeated over and over again on the internet but it isn't from formalized systematic testing.

The closest I have ever seen is the testing Lucky Gunner did a few years back with .223 ammo, Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test. Even their testing has limitations - especially applying it to handgun ammo - but I think it is still valuable and worth the time to read.

My experience with steel cased ammo is limited to 50 rounds of Wolf steel case through my PDP and 100 rounds of Winchester's USA forged steel cased abomination through my PPQ and a Sig P365. The Wolf was softer recoiling than typical ammo but it functioned fine in PDP. The pistol cleaned up just fine as well. The Winchester choked both pistols it was tried in and required a hammer to unstick at least once. It acted like it was out of spec but I didn't try a case gauge on it to find out.

Office supplies Wood Household hardware Cylinder Rectangle

Brass and Wolf steel cases fired through my PDP.

Bottom line, try it in your pistol if you want. If it works, it works. If not, sell the ammo, not the gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a link to another recent thread on steel-cased ammo. I debated linking to it because there is a lot of arguing about whether the Walther stepped chamber is a true 9mm chamber. There are a lot of opinions on the subject but - in my opinion - if you dig into the arguments, there's not a lot of actual hard data to support the opinion. Sometimes it's someone's single experience or it's something they've heard repeated over and over again on the internet but it isn't from formalized systematic testing.

The closest I have ever seen is the testing Lucky Gunner did a few years back with .223 ammo, Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test. Even their testing has limitations - especially applying it to handgun ammo - but I think it is still valuable and worth the time to read.

My experience with steel cased ammo is limited to 50 rounds of Wolf steel case through my PDP and 100 rounds of Winchester's USA forged steel cased abomination through my PPQ and a Sig P365. The Wolf was softer recoiling than typical ammo but it functioned fine in PDP. The pistol cleaned up just fine as well. The Winchester choked both pistols it was tried in and required a hammer to unstick at least once. It acted like it was out of spec but I didn't try a case gauge on it to find out.

View attachment 100906
Brass and Wolf steel cases fired through my PDP.

Bottom line, try it in your pistol if you want. If it works, it works. If not, sell the ammo, not the gun.
Thank you for your time and advise. Will read all the material. I’m starting and enjoying every minute of it. It took me a year of research before buying the PDP. And actually, the gun is making me a good shooter.

Few weeks back while using Winchester .380 brass ammo in my PPK/S, it misfired and the case chocked in the barrel … it’s still there. Will take the PPK to the shop to have case removed and checked , just in case.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
I don't see any caution about using steel cased ammunition in the PDP manual but I personally wouldn't use it in a barrel with a stepped chamber.

I've shot steel cased through other brands like Glock, Beretta, and Sig without any problems. I've had nothing BUT problems with steel cased .223 and will no longer use it whatsoever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately, ammo manufactured in Russia such as steel casing ammo from Tula and Wolf are or will be banned from being imported into the US according to the State Department because of recent sanctions being imposed on the Russian Federation.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Russia isn't the only source of steel cased ammunition and I'm not inclined to give the Russians my money anyway.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Regarding steel cased ammo... it's all not all equal.

Winchester Became the First United States Manufacturer of Steel Shellcase Pistol Ammunition with its USA Forged Line
Congratulations on being the first American manufacturer to lower the bar... hell, they practically got rid of the bar all together.

Winchester USA "Steel Forged" is the most garbage ammo I've ever had the displeasure to attempt to shoot. Some of the only ammo to ever choke up my Walthers.

It's the only ammo on my 'never again, regardless of the circumstances' list. It could go on sale for 13 cents a round tomorrow and I still wouldn't touch it. I'm not even sure I'd take a box as a free gift.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi y’all, just want to know if you have any good or bad experience using steel casing in the range such as Tulammo 9mm FMJ with your PDP.

Thanks
Stick with brass or blazers. Stop feeding them Russians.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Unfortunately, ammo manufactured in Russia such as steel casing ammo from Tula and Wolf are or will be banned from being imported into the US according to the State Department because of recent sanctions being imposed on the Russian Federation.
GOOD.... f the Russians and their crap ammo.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve never bought steel case pistol ammo prior to the pandemic, but my views have shifted on it a bit out of necessity due to local supply issues we’ve all faced...

My mindset towards steel case in 2021 is “shoot it, don’t stock it”. I keep a minimum stock of brass case range ammo in all of my calibers at home and “replace” whatever I plan to use prior to a range trip.

If steel is all that’s available in the days prior to my regular range session, I’ll buy 50-100 rounds and use it up immediately.

I’ve only had to resort to steel a few times, either due to it being the only ammo available locally, or if the cost savings vs brass is $5 or more per box.

I haven’t had any issues with performance of note out of my HKs. It’s dirty but seems to shoot ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve never bought steel case pistol ammo prior to the pandemic, but my views have shifted on it a bit out of necessity due to local supply issues we’ve all faced...

My mindset towards steel case in 2021 is “shoot it, don’t stock it”. I keep a minimum stock of brass case range ammo in all of my calibers at home and “replace” whatever I plan to use prior to a range trip.

If steel is all that’s available in the days prior to my regular range session, I’ll buy 50-100 rounds and use it up immediately.

I’ve only had to resort to steel a few times, either due to it being the only ammo available locally, or if the cost savings vs brass is $5 or more per box.

I haven’t had any issues with performance of note out of my HKs. It’s dirty but seems to shoot ok.
Brasky68, may want to check Best Ammo for Finding Ammunition 2021 - Guns Mags Reloading

Will list company links to ammos or whatever you are looking for available out there. I haven’t have any problems buying 1000 rounds boxes. They’ll list all types of ammos, magazines, pistol or rifles available.

I always check company reviews and usually if order ammo on a Tuesday it arrives by Saturday. Some companies don’t even charge for shipping.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts