Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be a great idea, especially since they have the Q5 SF and the 4" 9MM steel frame. I have the PPQ45 now and it is awesome, but it would be even more awesome matching up a SF with the 45, imo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it would be a great idea, especially since they have the Q5 SF and the 4" 9MM steel frame. I have the PPQ45 now and it is awesome, but it would be even more awesome matching up a SF with the 45, imo.
No info for ya but man, a SF .45 PPQ would be seriously awesome!

·
Registered
27 Posts
:) I get tingles just thinking about it....I wonder if it has enough volume for them to make the investment though.
Yeah, there's lots of competition from the 1911 crowd, even CZ, Tangfolio and others. I'd hope they'd make one just as statement product, even if it wasn't going to be a huge seller or very profitable, sorta like I image the CZ97 .45 is for CZ. It'd certainly have huge selling points: amazing ergonomics for most folks, an amazing stock trigger, accurate, decent capacity, etc. all out of the box with no after market bits and pieces needed. And it'd be priced fairly competitively with at least mid tier 1911s. I have a .45 PPQ and also a CZ97 but man a SF .45 PPQ would probably be an instant buy for me even tho it's beyond my normal financial pain threshold for purchasing handguns. In the meantime, I keep wondering if I should start saving for a SF Q4 or Q5 (I have a 5in PPQ M1 I love but I'm also a CZ guy and the more I shoot all metal guns the less I like the feel of polymer).

·
Registered
242 Posts
I believe all the steel frame guns only vary by which top end Walther chooses to put on them. Once they tool up for the 9mm steel frame, they can make many variations at little or no additional cost. If they make a.45, they will have to tool up unique uppers and lowers that will not interchange with any current SF guns so they would have significant front end expenses for a much lower volume potential gun. It could still be a good move, just a much more expensive one.

Maybe they could expand caliber choice but stick with something that would work in the 9mm dimension guns, possibly .357 Sig, 10mm, or even attempt to revive the .38 Super.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe all the steel frame guns only vary by which top end Walther chooses to put on them. Once they tool up for the 9mm steel frame, they can make many variations at little or no additional cost. If they make a.45, they will have to tool up unique uppers and lowers that will not interchange with any current SF guns so they would have significant front end expenses for a much lower volume potential gun. It could still be a good move, just a much more expensive one.

Maybe they could expand caliber choice but stick with something that would work in the 9mm dimension guns, possibly .357 Sig, 10mm, or even attempt to revive the .38 Super.
Good points. A SF Walther in .357 Sig, 10mm or 38 super would be very interesting. I'd still prefer a .45 tho. It'd have a shot at being the best out of the box .45 on the market for striker fired guns if not DA/SA as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good points. A SF Walther in .357 Sig, 10mm or 38 super would be very interesting. I'd still prefer a .45 tho. It'd have a shot at being the best out of the box .45 on the market for striker fired guns if not DA/SA as well.
I think it would be good, but maybe a big financial risk. The Sig P220 has been out there a long time as a carry gun and a SF Walther would be a lot more weight and probably significantly more expensive. There are already a lot of established steel frame .45's for range and match use. Walther would be out there with a new, in between gun that might not appeal to either buying group. HK had a very fine .45 in the HK9 and HK9 Competition, both pretty rare today as they only had limited success in the market.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think it would be good, but maybe a big financial risk. The Sig P220 has been out there a long time as a carry gun and a SF Walther would be a lot more weight and probably significantly more expensive. There are already a lot of established steel frame .45's for range and match use. Walther would be out there with a new, in between gun that might not appeal to either buying group. HK had a very fine .45 in the HK9 and HK9 Competition, both pretty rare today as they only had limited success in the market.
I completely spaced on the P220 Legion. Yeah, that'd be tough to compete with given the prices on both the base model and Legion. And I didn't even know about the HK. But still, a SF .45 PPQ would be a statement product and the only SF striker fired .45. It'd stand a chance at some success I think. We'll see. In the meantime I'll keep wondering if I should ante up for a SF Q4 or Q5 :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts