Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New poster here with a quick question about the PK380. I have been considering this pistol for quite some time (since it's release actually) and have an opportunity to purchase one NIB from my local gun shop for 329.99. I am strongly considering purchasing it but wanted to know if there have been any improvements made to the gun since it's early days in 2009.

One of the big turn offs for me was the reported reliability issues and mixed reviews from the guns initial release period. I decided to hold off on getting one until the kinks have been ironed out so to speak. That being said, I have had no luck in my research in finding out if the track record has improved for the gun over the course of the last 5 or so years.

Is there anyone out there that has any idea what, if anything, has been done to improve this firearm since the earlier model years?

Also if anyone has a newer model pk380, say 2013 or newer, what has the experience been like for you.

Thanks,

B68

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a first edition PK380. I sent it back twice for failure to extract. The second extractor was an upgrade and has fixed the problem. My PK380 shot low and several others have reported the problem. A tech rep told me it is an often reported problem but isn't a problem with the gun. I believe they are taking the ostrich approach. That really irritated me. I don't know if they have corrected this after the first edition. The front sight is permanently attached and the rear sight is adjustable for wind age only. I found a way to adjust the elevation without making any permanent alterations to the gun. I put larger dots over the front and rear sights moving the front down slightly and the rear up slightly. Now it shoots reliably spot on. I can go into more detail on the sight adjustment if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Colonel,

I ended up picking up the pk380, as I couldn't pass up the chance to grab it new for cheaper than what many stores in my area are asking for a used one.

So far over the past three or so trips to the range with it I have had zero major issues (knock on wood). I've fired 50 rounds each of White Box winchester, Federal Champion, Federal Eagle, Fiocchi and Geco with one single fail to fire (out of the champion box). 0 FTE, which leads me to believe like you said the extractor may have been upgraded on the later models.

I did notice that it was shooting low and left on my first trip, but since then I've have 3 inch groups at 10 yards and around 5-8 inch groups at 20 so the problem may have corrected itself through the break in period, or I am getting more acclimated to the new gun.

I am loving it so far and it's a great range piece for both me and the lady to enjoy. No doubt that once I hit the 1000 round mark with out a hiccup it will replace my Kahe CM9 as a carry weapon.

Also please explain your method of the sight adjustment you mentioned in your above post, may be handy down the road if I run into a similar problem.

B68

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
If you are happy with the current performance of the PK380, why didn't you just get a Taurus in the first place?

Or trump them both with a Bersa?

M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
M,

Don't know too much about Taurus, haven't given them a fair chance to be honest, but my LGS will not carry Taurus and will not buy used ones due to reliability and return rate issues, that alone was enough to cross them off my list. Bersa makes a nice gun and I have shot a few (when the lady is finally ready for her own gun the Thunder 380 is near the top of my list for what I'll get her). In my opinion however, the PK380 is much more accurate (at least for me personally) and has a far superior trigger over the Bersa, those two reasons alone were enough for me to buy one, just wanted to wait until they ironed out some of the problems that plagued the gun early in its launch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here, a more detailed version of the sight adjustment: I had a laser or the gun that was tuned in dead on - that made the process easier but you could accomplish the same thing without the laser. I cleaned the front and rear sights with lacquer thinner to remove any oil. I cut slightly larger round sight dots out of white reflective tape from Wal-Mart's automotive section. I used a hole punch that is shaped like a pair of pliers. It has a rotating spur with different size cutters. I used next to the smallest size. I used a magnifying glass and tweezers to place the dots covering the original sight dots moving the center of the front dot down slightly and the rear sight dots up slightly. I shined the laser on the wall of my shop at the desired distance to test. When the laser shined right on top of the front sight dot I sealed the dots with super glue (cyanoacrylate) (Actually Krazy glue with the brush applicator Is the right viscosity and is easy to brush on.) I went to the range and tested and knocked the center ring out with the sights. I cleaned the gun and the dots were impervious to the solvents. However iv you need to remove the glue acetone will work. By the way, that is the active ingredient in nail polish remover

1 - 6 of 6 Posts